• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Modified Left Sliding Window

Anyone have some pics? Thanks
Your Comrade Steve posted some on this thread back in 2014. Surely he must have some more. Airframes Alaska has a picture. Those are all I have seen.
I ordered the kit from Airframes yesterday. Expensive at $291. That includes full length top and bottom channels and front and rear channels. Not the glass.
I just think it would be nice to get the post out of the way.

I think the ideal solution would be a swing up window with sliding glass.

Gary

Your Comrade Steve posted some on this thread back in 2014. Surely he must have some more. Airframes Alaska has a picture. Those are all I have seen.
I ordered the kit from Airframes yesterday. Expensive at $291. That includes full length top and bottom channels and front and rear channels. Not the glass.
I just think it would be nice to get the post out of the way.

I think the ideal solution would be a swing up window with sliding glass.

Gary

If you don't mind, can you take some pics when you get it? More never hurt.

If you don't mind, can you take some pics when you get it? More never hurt.

Tom, we are expecting the parts today or tomorrow. Ed Fisher, who is doing the work, operates out of the Whiteplains Airport (SC99), Gilbert, SC about 60NM East of me. I will get him to take some pics when he gets the parts and may go over there myself.

I live in Lincolnton, GA and have a grass airstrip. No identifier but it is located exactly at KANDY intersection. That's what I use to navigate to.

Regarding this thread, I find it hard to get to and I'm not sure everyone is seeing it. It shows up on "Hot Topics" but not up front on the Cafe Supercub section. I think I will do another post there to see if it gets more response.

Gary

I have a swing up window. It's the dumbest idea on my plane next to the clear plexi inspection covers on the tail.

Jerry

Could you elaborate as to why? If it's good on the right side, why not the left? I realize it is a lot hotter here in Georgia than Alaska but I always loved flying around in a J3 with the window/doors open. But that's at 65-70mph.

Gary

I have a swing up window. It's the dumbest idea on my plane next to the clear plexi inspection covers on the tail.

Jerry

Huh. I ordered by Backcountry with a LH swing up window because it'll be easier to lock out unwanted visitors and it provides a secondary exit. It seemed like a good alternative to adding a LH door. What don't you like about yours?

Gary/Stewart,

The majority of my problem with the left swing up window is that I have it and in the last twenty years I have used/enjoyed it maybe five times. During that twenty years I have longed for a slider that I can regulate the air as I please. So essentially I have a mod that I use very little that prevents me from having a mod that I would use quite often. I installed two rotating vents in it to help when I want to cool things down but they fall way short of doing the job and the full open window, even if I let it fly, is way too much air for my needs. To me, it's an all or nothing type of air inlet and I already have that in my right door and window combo.

I consider all doors on a supercub some sort of inefficient weighty compromise to the airframe and so it's my goal to minimize that, thus I'm also against any of the big rear baggage doors too. The proposition of having a slider in a swing out window is something I have considered but I think the longevity of that is questionable because of the flex that is in the window frame and even if it did function I would use the slider 99% of the time and the swing up window would stay in the closed unused position and just serve as one more place to leak air in the winter time and add unnecessary extra weight to the airframe.

I also think that a slider would be a more convenient option to open just enough to sneak a photo or two out without engaging the entire swing out window.

Finally, I'm not going to pretend to understand what it's like to own and fly a cub in Georgia even though I have lived there a few times before my pilot days began. We just don't get that kind of heat here so that's part of the basis of my opinion too. As far as keeping unwanted visitors and adding a secondary exit goes I have a plane that has locking doors and I never lock it and consider the importance of more egress so low that I'm not interested in flying a hot stuffy plane around so I can protect myself from such a remote safety concern.

We all have our opinions and Stewart - I'll be interested in what you think when you get some time in the new bird.

With all said I'm am very interested in the mod that is the subject line of this thread.

Jerry

Last edited:
My Dad had the swing up left window on his Clipper. Like Jerry he rarely used it because it was all or nothing. When we rebuilt it we installed the slider and he a my Mom like it because they can regulate the amount of air.

Steve, Jerry and others; thanks for the input.

I'm committed. We (Ed Fisher is doing my rebuild) got the "Wolf Window" kit from Airframes Alaska on Friday. It consists of 4 pieces:

A Full length bottom channel that must be welded to the longeron after the old one is cut off
The top "T" section which welds to the birdcage section
The Front Channel
The Rear Channel

It turns out that Steve had already installed the top piece in the fuselage repairs and the rear vertical piece so I only needed the forward channel and the bottom one. If I had known this, I could probably just have ordered the 2 pieces that I needed and saved half the money. At $291 plus shipping, these 4 pieces weren't cheap. AA did not provide much information when I ordered and asked questions. Live and learn!

I see the standard channels offered on Univair are much cheaper but I don't think they offer the forward channel or the full length bottom channel.

We have cut the old bottom channel off the longeron and done some preliminary fitting. The vertical distance between the longeron and the top channel was about 1/4" greater at front than rear and they need to be pretty much parallel of the window to slide without jamming. We are going to adjust the bottom channel just slightly by raising the rear up slightly off the longeron. I suspect this difference was due to the maximum angle of incidence built into this frame.

At this point, I cannot see why this mod will not be better than the original but you never know til you fly it.

Gary

Lower Window Channel.jpgWindow at rear.jpgWindow Rear.jpgLower Channel.jpgWindow, front.jpg

Attachments

• Lower Window Channel.jpg
    Lower Window Channel.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 199
  • Window at rear.jpg
    Window at rear.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 152
  • Window Rear.jpg
    Window Rear.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 151
  • Lower Channel.jpg
    Lower Channel.jpg