• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Missouri Breaks (Winifred 9S7) Flyin 21-23 June 2024

First timer. Hoping to bring the kids (teenagers) and a Labrador. How’s the camping at the strip? Dog and kids ok? Thanks!!
Camping at the strip is just fine.... that is what many do. The other option is camping in the hangar with about 50-50 inside and out. Teenagers are great, look forward to meeting them. Lab will need to be on a leash while on the airport this weekend. Just too many planes and props...but there are lots of areas for it to go on a freedom run and you can borrow a vehicle to get hjim/her out there. There may be another close but off airport solution for the lab as well. Travel well..... R

Reactions: sj
Ralph, et.al., huge thanks for all you do. I've been planning this trip for some time, but unfortunately Girlscout's dentist shifted her schedule without checking with us. She needs a 'responsible adult driver', but is stuck with me instead. Big bummer, but I'll be expecting lots of stories and pictures.

Thanks. cubscout

Reactions: sj
brief PIREP: 6/17
If you show up early Thursday and are able, we will find a broom to fit you.
I'm hoping to arrive Thursday evening and will be happy to sweep whatever I can.

A few years ago, there were a TON of folks already in Winifred Thursday night. Is this expected again? How have the recent rains affected the strips? From my experience working on the CMR years ago, it can take a few days for the gumbo mud to dry out.

I'm hoping to arrive Thursday evening and will be happy to sweep whatever I can.

A few years ago, there were a TON of folks already in Winifred Thursday night. Is this expected again? How have the recent rains affected the strips? From my experience working on the CMR years ago, it can take a few days for the gumbo mud to dry out.
We can find a broom for everyone. We are expecting a few folks for Thursday night...always do. No problem ...and that question gives me a chance to once again point out that the Breaks flyin is us making you comfortable with some food and a place to camp, and 30 of your newest best friends while you enjoy flyouts to the Breaks which are very close by. Friday night food, Saturday morning flight down the Judith River to Lewistown for pancakes, and Saturday night food, that's all for planned events. Flyouts to strips are usually continuous with folks who have been here many times and we would be glad to brief you in if this is your first visit. Winifred is an attraction itself especially if you live in some crowded busy city. It is the way the world was 100 years ago. This is prairie and it is beautiful this year. There is herd of several hundred elk just east of us right now. It looks like something out of the Pleistocene when that herd starts traveling.

Yes, we need to watch the weather and check on the strips. Gumbo (bentonite) air strips are not something to be messed with. There is good vegetation on most of them right now and they should dry by Friday/Saturday if not challenged again. I'll do my best to keep us posted. Safe flights to all.... More as it happens. R

I submitted a form. I was planning on flying up on Friday morning with another pilot from Buffalo, WY. Last I checked there were TSs forecast for Friday, and I really don't want my airplane tied out in that, so I might just fly up to Lewistown Saturday (if you don't see me in Winifred with Jim Martin on Friday).

I submitted a form. I was planning on flying up on Friday morning with another pilot from Buffalo, WY. Last I checked there were TSs forecast for Friday, and I really don't want my airplane tied out in that, so I might just fly up to Lewistown Saturday (if you don't see me in Winifred with Jim Martin on Friday).
Lisa: Just for Info. Lewistown has a big old, but weather tight, B17 hangar for transients. They also have a very comfortable pilots lounge with bunk beds last time I checked. Winifred has a large hanger where Jim Richmond once stacked 18 super cubs and a bonanza. 16 is pretty much a sure bet and there are only 6 permanent planes there now. It is first come first served. Just more data for you. R

Jim Crane and I are enroute from Minneapolis to Winifred!. We had a great trip thus far and are looking forward to a great time at Winifred once again. Weather is nice and cool and it is a nice reprieve from the high temperatures back home and high humidity. For those of you who wanted basic examinations I’ll be providing those Thursday afternoon. Hope to see you there!

For those who are coming from the east, be sure to fly by new Salem, North Dakota. There is a large 50 foot tall Osteen cow looking to the north on the north edge of town. It seems that the sister City Of new Holstein Wisconsin might have a place for something just like this at the airport!
IMG_4166.jpeg

“ visiting the cow at new Salem was a mooooving experience” wrote the New York Times.

“Udderly amazing “ wrote the Washington Post.

Doc Randy

Last edited:
Randy,

Right down the hill from that cow is a very nice, basic campground, owned by the city/county. all Campgrounds in Bismarck were full once when we came through there, but the lady at one said go to the cow. No fee, water, sewer and electric. Probably changed by now. But, nice little town nearby, and nice folks.

MTV

Last edited:
I've heard they have a bunch of folks there already! Looks like another great year for the Breaks fly in!

sj

All the strips have been landed and the report is that they are dry. There is some moisture in the clay on the E end of Heller Bottom, but in anything that is reasonably short landed, it can be avoided. Also, you can see it... it looks shiny. There are thunder storms around, but so far they have missed us and the strips. Folks went for breakfast in Denton, then had a big tour of the strips after. If we stay lucky the rest of today (25% chance of a storm), Saturday and Sunday look great. So far...so good. Come on !! R

Couldn't make it. :-( (Minnesota rains and a Dr Appt Monday morning) If anyone Flys by the Black hills on the way home, I just mowed WY53 in Four Corners. I'm leaving Sunday morning but will be back Tuesday or Wed til July 5th.

Jake

All the strips have been landed and the report is that they are dry. There is some moisture in the clay on the E end of Heller Bottom, but in anything that is reasonably short landed, it can be avoided. Also, you can see it... it looks shiny. There are thunder storms around, but so far they have missed us and the strips. Folks went for breakfast in Denton, then had a big tour of the strips after. If we stay lucky the rest of today (25% chance of a storm), Saturday and Sunday look great. So far...so good. Come on !! R
Did everyone get inside? It looks like it’s still missing Winifred, but there’s a lot of ugly weather out around Wyoming and Montana.

The thunderstorms continued to miss us. No more rain in the immediate forecast. Some folks headed to Lewistown last night when a particularly ugly storm approached, but it too missed us and all came back to Winifred sortly. Some moisture on the strips this morning, but all were landed and are dry now. It is good to be lucky. R

The thunderstorms continued to miss us. No more rain in the immediate forecast. Some folks headed to Lewistown last night when a particularly ugly storm approached, but it too missed us and all came back to Winifred sortly. Some moisture on the strips this morning, but all were landed and are dry now. It is good to be lucky. R
That’s awesome. I should have gone.

Couple shots:
PXL_20240622_181017628.jpg

Heller Bottom, thanks for sharing Loren!
PXL_20240622_182010643.jpg

The Breaks are uniquely beautiful: geologically, historically, and certainly visually.
PXL_20240622_120347362.jpg

Big Sky country at Winifred.
Thanks Ralph and everyone for hosting, great event. It was our first time and won't be our last.

Back