• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Livestreaming Valdez

sj

Staff member
Northwest Arkansas
1000006691.jpg

Weather looks tough...
Go to the valdez fly-in website or search YouTube for valdez fly in for this year's live stream.

I caught the Carbon, Cub, Super Cub and Just STOL and then Frank Knapp in Little Cub. I saw Dan Renolds was there in his Chinook, why didn't he compete against Frank?

Looked like there wasn’t much wind to mix with the magic air. Good on the guys that made it in. 3/4 of the real competition is just getting there!……Sucks that there was only one certified cub. Looked like Luke in the Redbull cub dumped is flaps 10’ off the ground. Modern technology!

Any of the cubs have the new titanium shocks from Alaska Gear Co? Wonder if a report from a user is available for a report?

John,
AOSS prior. Night and day difference. Main reason I went with AF is local business support. Right down the road from me.
Michael,
Sounds good, but possible to give a more detailed description of the difference? I have AOSS now and also want to support AF, but only with true improved difference.
Sounds like good improvement, but can you expand on night and day?
Thanks,
John

If it is anything like the Acmes, which I believe it is, there is definitely a day and night difference. I ran AOSS on two Super Cubs on a lot of off airport stuuff and the Acmes blow my mind at how they absorb the impact without bounce back.

John,
I have flown alongside several Carbon Cub buddies w/Acmes over the years and these seem to work very similar. As too better?….. not sure, haven’t had enough time on them.

Valdez was a great time! The light touring class had the most airplanes. Fun to watch Steve Spence crush it in his 172. The airplane is an extension of him. The Helios were fun to watch. It was fun to see Luke the Red Bull pilot compete as well, especially after doing an incredible aerobatic routine. I loved watching Scott Sexton do his aerobatic routines in his Citabria. I spoke with him after his show on Sunday and I'm going to try and fly with him sometime this summer. Weather wasn't horrible during the event although I assume the weather leading up to it prevented a number of attendees and competitors from joining. Dan Renolds in his Chinook taxied over during his heat and part way over he turned around and taxied back to his tie down. I was further away from the speaker so I didn't hear the explanation. However the next day he did his routine where he drops a roll of toilet paper out of his plane then cuts through it multiple times during a spiraling descent. Great venders were present and there was a surprising number of spectators given the forecast. Awesome event! You can tell there's a lot of energy and effort that goes into making that event a success. They do a great job of sequencing things to minimize downtime. And not to forget the C-46 and Herc demonstrations are awesome. Watching the C-46 do a pass at 55Kts with flaps and gear down is impressive.

I thought they alright, more so knowing they high school students. I think the announcers of any of these contests could do an amazing job if the went and talked to the pilots and took some notes about the pilots and the airplanes. I would love to come up and do it but all you Alaskans would laugh at my hick ass accent. ;)

Great event as always -- they put their Hart and Soul into this event. The evening cruise was a great addition this Year
We have to make sure to bring a few more cubs in for next year. Light touring travels so much easier thats why you see so many.
A number of cubs are still in Build/rebuild and other Maintenance , others were stuck in weather many still showed up but not with the usual Aircraft and some drove in just to be there.
Anyone coming up for next year can stop in with us in Whitehorse.
We usually have a bunch of planes going Friday Morning.
There are save low weather routs, but it is easier to go with someone the first time in if the weather is not stelar.

I thought they alright, more so knowing they high school students. I think the announcers of any of these contests could do an amazing job if the went and talked to the pilots and took some notes about the pilots and the airplanes. I would love to come up and do it but all you Alaskans would laugh at my hick ass accent. ;)
They are always looking for volunteers, we would love to have you come up and have a laugh with you. cheers......

I am going to blame Jane for my inability to make it this year. I could have flown over on Friday with Cache Carr and Steve Spence but I really do like to sleeping with my wife. I have made the run to the event and back in some really crap weather over the years so was not too worried. I left birchwood at 8 am and tried to go through portage pass. 45 mph and rough going down turn again arm. The ceiling was really low as I approached the pass and wind shear threw me down 300 ft and maintaining any type directional control was getting difficult so while I still had space to turn I headed back home for more fuel. Now it was Thompson pass attempt, The Helio boys had a two hour head start on me and with my prop I was only running 80 mph. I tried to cut the corner over the mountains but the headwinds had me back down to 54 mph over the ground at 9,000 ft. I was in touch with Cache Carr with no sucker holes over the event . Helio crew made it so I knew the Thompson pass was open but I would not even reach it until the event started. I most likely could have slipped in the heat with Cache Carr because I had a hard lock on second place Bush Class. But after more than six + hours of hard flying I would most likely be lucky to not DQ. I was at the Tazlina lake headwaters when I decided to call it and turned North to Eureka Roadhouse for pie and ice cream. Cache Carr no wind performance was top notch, he represented the class in excellent fashion. It really is a special event and well worth the effort it attend even if you don't make it Alaska flying is always a adventure.
DENNY

I am going to blame Jane for my inability to make it this year. I could have flown over on Friday with Cache Carr and Steve Spence but I really do like to sleeping with my wife. I have made the run to the event and back in some really crap weather over the years so was not too worried. I left birchwood at 8 am and tried to go through portage pass. 45 mph and rough going down turn again arm. The ceiling was really low as I approached the pass and wind shear threw me down 300 ft and maintaining any type directional control was getting difficult so while I still had space to turn I headed back home for more fuel. Now it was Thompson pass attempt, The Helio boys had a two hour head start on me and with my prop I was only running 80 mph. I tried to cut the corner over the mountains but the headwinds had me back down to 54 mph over the ground at 9,000 ft. I was in touch with Cache Carr with no sucker holes over the event . Helio crew made it so I knew the Thompson pass was open but I would not even reach it until the event started. I most likely could have slipped in the heat with Cache Carr because I had a hard lock on second place Bush Class. But after more than six + hours of hard flying I would most likely be lucky to not DQ. I was at the Tazlina lake headwaters when I decided to call it and turned North to Eureka Roadhouse for pie and ice cream. Cache Carr no wind performance was top notch, he represented the class in excellent fashion. It really is a special event and well worth the effort it attend even if you don't make it Alaska flying is always a adventure.
DENNY
Cache is my cousin, and (Taplin is my co-worker) so we were watching them fly from up here on the slope on a big screen, and everyone in the room says (what?? look at that certified cub flying with the experimentals!) Truely impressive with no wind, a real example of what a Super Cub can do with a great pilot in the seat. I sent him a congrats yesterday and he said he's really looking forward to next year. He had a hell of a relentless perfectionist-mentor (father Jim Carr) and a challenging cross wind 550' cabin strip to grow up on. His dad Jim (gone west) is no doubt looking down a proud papa.

Back