• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Landing gear fabric

supercubdriver

Good morning:

I have a 56 SC which has the fabric on the landing gear. I am considering having it removed and not recovered; just paint the gear.
Is there any benefit to having the fabric on the gear, i.e. handling, flying differently, etc. Plus, by not recovering would I have to get paperwork completed because of this change? Any other considerations I should consider?

Thanks for your advice in advance

John

Where do you live? Some of the reasons owners take fabric off are because they're adding parts that need the fabric removed ,it's so full of wholes from sticks or its just plane wore out. If you operate out of a unimproved strip and your proned to damage from ground debris leave it uncovered. Otherwise pipers look better with the gear covered. (My opinion of coarse)Fly it uncovered and see if there's a difference. If you've never covered anything, the gear is a easy part to start with and can be done installed on the plane.

It will reduce your airspeed, but is better for inspecting your gear legs if you use in rough conditions.

There's a bit of past discussion on this subject, John. Try search on:

gear cover speed.

Nick

Good morning:

Thanks for the replies so far. In reply to the first question, I am located in Oregon and I do land off airport. It appears the speed question is still a question. I would not have a concern about speed reduction. I have the big tires, safety cables, etc.; probably already affecting speed. I like the idea of being able to inspect the weld points at will and if get banged up can just paint. Still have a question about whether by taking the fabric off, does the faa see this as a change requiring paperwork?

Thanks again for the responses

John

The low center of drag for bare 3" extended gear felt poor at all speeds. I prefer the now beat up old fabric on the gear to no fabric at all. Also the covers on your bungees are a big source of drag as they are also in your propwash, so that is another area to keep aerodynamically clean any way you can, IMHO.

I have been told but I cannot confirm this fact that gear on a Super Cub that is uncovered is like having four tundra tires on the aircraft when it concerns drag. Covering the gear legs will reduce drag. You figure out what you want. I remedied the situation by flying floats and skiis.

Back