• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

J 4 Cub Coupe Restoration

Hey
Hello to all J4 people out there..
We are currently restoring our 1939 J4 4-568 LN-HAD Oslo, Norway and need help, advice or tips along the way...

I guess we´ll be running into new questions every day, but for now I have these:

1. We are working on how to eventually get the interior right and our plane had the overhead ceiling window. Does anybody have pictures or tips on how to get the ceiling headliner right around that top window?

2. Anybody have information on what the original factory paint color on the stick and pedals were in 1939? (maybe the same as on civilian J3´s ?)

Grateful for any insight.

Henrik

IMG_0619.PNG
Picture taken winter 1940

I've flown 5 different J4 over the years and looked at another 10+ . Not sure they came with a skylight?
But, I moved one for a guy 2 years ago and I think it has a narrow skylight in it?
N30985, maybe you can find a # for him?

Screenshot_20240320-103750.png

Glenn

Cubdriver is correct, Piper never put a skylight in any of the J4, all headliners.
Nowadays there are some about with skylights, there is a lot of light structure up there to attach to, mostly 3/8" Piper U-channel.

I do believe the 1939 J4 did have a skylight, I seem to remember old photos that showed it. I know there are some more recent photos I've seen of the J4 also have them, not all, but I think the J4 from the factory did have it. I know for sure that the J4A and all the other 1940 models and the 1941 J4E did not have skylights, just headliners.

I do believe the 1939 J4 did have a skylight, I seem to remember old photos that showed it. I know there are some more recent photos I've seen of the J4 also have them, not all, but I think the J4 from the factory did have it. I know for sure that the J4A and all the other 1940 models and the 1941 J4E did not have skylights, just headliners.

The trim handle is right in the middle of the ceiling

Glenn

I know the trim handle is in the middle forward area of the ceiling, and I just looked at the Piper lubrication drawing for the J4, not the J4A or others, and the top view shows the trim cables being offset with pulleys to the pilot side of the fuselage before continuing aft, and that must route them to clear where the skylight would be, which looking at old photos, would have it positioned somewhere over the seat back.

Henrik did mention that his aircraft does have the skylight, his issue seems to be how to finish around it with the headliner. Unfortunately info on something like that seems to be pretty scarce nowadays.

Henrik did mention that his aircraft does have the skylight, his issue seems to be how to finish around it with the headliner. Unfortunately info on something like that seems to be pretty scarce nowadays.
That’s correct. I know ours and other J4s from 39 had the skylight from old photos. I think our best bet is to get som pictures of somebody's skylight headliner interior trim/finnish to try to recreate the original interior. Anything is helpful. Thanks for all replies.👍 Henrik

Back