• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Getting Old

S

StewartB

$5.37! That's what the kid behind the counter at Taco Bell said to me. I dug into my pocket and pulled out some lint and two dimes and something that used to be a Jolly Rancher. Having already handed the kid a five-spot, I started to head back out to the truck to grab some change when the kid with the Elmo hairdo said the hardest thing anyone has ever said to me. He said, "It's OK. I'll just give you the senior citizen discount."

I turned to see who he was talking to and then heard the sound of change hitting the counter in front of me. "Only $4.68" he said cheerfully.

I stood there stupefied. I am 56 , not even 60 yet? A mere child! Senior citizen?

I took my burrito and walked out to the truck wondering what was wrong with Elmo. Was he blind? As I sat in the truck, my blood began to boil. Old? Me?

I'll show him, I thought. I opened the door and headed back inside. I strode to the counter, and there he was waiting with a smile.

Before I could say a word, he held up something and jingled it in front of me, like I could be that easily distracted! What am I now? A toddler?

"Dude! Can't get too far without your car keys, eh?" I stared with utter disdain at the keys. I began to rationalize in my mind.

"Leaving keys behind hardly makes a man elderly! It could happen to anyone!"

I turned and headed back to the truck. I slipped the key into the ignition, but it wouldn't turn. What now? I checked my keys and tried another. Still nothing.

That's when I noticed the purple beads hanging from my rear view mirror. I had no purple beads hanging from my rear view mirror.

Then, a few other objects came into focus. The car seat in the back seat. Happy Meal toys spread all over the floorboard. A partially eaten doughnut on the dashboard.

Faster than you can say gingko biloba, I flew out of the alien vehicle.

Moments later I was speeding out of the parking lot, relieved to finally be leaving this nightmarish stop in my life. That is when I felt it, deep in the bowels of my stomach: hunger! My stomach growled and churned, and I reached to grab my burrito, only it was nowhere to be found.

I swung the truck around, gathered my courage, and strode back into the restaurant one final time. There Elmo stood, draped in youth and black nail polish. All I could think was, "What is the world coming to?"

All I could say was, "Did I leave my food and drink in here"? At this point I was ready to ask a Boy Scout to help me back to my vehicle, and then go straight home and apply for Social Security benefits.

Elmo had no clue. I walked back out to the truck, and suddenly a young lad came up and tugged on my jeans to get my attention. He was holding up a drink and a bag. His mother explained, "I think you left this in my truck by mistake."

I took the food and drink from the little boy and sheepishly apologized.

She offered these kind words: "It's OK. My grandfather does stuff like this all the time."

All of this is to explain how I got a ticket doing 85 in a 40. Yes, I was racing some punk kid in a Toyota Prius. And no, I told the officer, I'm not too old to be driving this fast.

As I walked in the front door, my wife met me halfway down the hall. I handed her a bag of cold food and a $300 speeding ticket. I promptly sat in my rocking chair and covered up my legs with a blankey.

The good news was I had successfully found my way home.

Pass this on to the other old fogies on your list.

Notice the larger type? That's for those of us who have trouble reading.

P.S. Save the earth...... It's the only planet with chocolate !!!!!

Thats hilarious... and its for all you old fogies out there.. Cause even though my birth cert says i'm old,,, I'm not.. Got about 20 years before I'm a seniiourr. :D

Haven't laughed that hard for quite awhile. I am 72 and still won't ask for a senior discount but now they are giving it to be without asking. You are really going to have fun in a few years and things keep getting worse. Just keep some young guy around to do your preflight.

Stewart

That should teach you, Never go to Taco Bell... That is some funny stuff, I turn 50 in a few months and you had me in tears!

Dale

I don't know. I'd take the discount and say thank you. I discovered long ago that money is better off in my pocket. The stuff at Taco Bell is way overpriced anyway!

Thanks for the grins, ya ol' SB.
I was laffing with, not at you. :)

For the record, I didn't write that. My wife forwarded it to me because of something that happened a week ago. We needed something from the grocery store. While pulling into the parking lot we decided to pop into the liquor store next door for a bottle of wine. Bottle in hand we strolled into the grocery store, got a cart, and headed up aisle number 1. About half way through I looked at Kim and asked what it was we needed. She looked at me and said "crap, I was hoping you'd remember". We turned and left. Haven't figured out what it was we needed, either. :D

Stewart

Stewart that is funny.Can't say I have not had those types of things happen.

I do have a cure for young guys calling me old though(58)
I just put a 100 dollar bill on the table and tell them they can have it if they can do more push-ups than me.

I still have the 100 :D

Bill

Im pretty sure they could do more push up than me..

I slap a 20 on the table.. toss a deck of cards out face up.. tell them match it and pick the best pair... silly kids almost always grab the ace of spade and ace of hearts....

I grab the pair of 20's

Stewart, you are in Denial, and that is not a river in Egypt..... Take it where you can get it..... I got depressed when ARRP sent me an invitation to join when I was 50. I am only 54, but feel like 74 a lot of days due to all of the trauma my body has taken. Rode hard, put away wet. Doctors cannot understand how I can function, but tell me when I can't stand the pain anymore come on in for some MAJOR spinal surgery. If someone offered me a Senior discount, I would say right on, bring it on. Here is my latest rant about us being the people our parents warned us about:
==========================================

When I was a kid, adults used to bore me to tears with their tedious diatribes about how hard things were. When they were growing up; what with walking twenty-five miles to school every morning…. Uphill… Barefoot… BOTH ways. yadda, yadda, yadda

And I remember promising myself that when I grew up, there was no way in hell I was going to lay a bunch of crap like that on my kids about how hard I had it and how easy they’ve got it!

But now that I’m over the ripe old age of fifty four, I can’t help but look around and notice the youth of today. You’ve got it so easy! I mean, compared to my childhood, you live in a damn Utopia!

And I hate to say it, but you kids today, you don’t know how good you’ve got it!

1) I mean, when I was a kid we didn’t have the Internet. If we wanted to know something, we had to go to the damn library and look it up ourselves, in the card catalog!!

2) There was no email!! We had to actually write somebody a letter - with a pen! Then you had to walk all the way across the street and put it in the mailbox, and it would take like a week to get there! Stamps were 10 cents!

3) Child Protective Services didn’t care if our parents beat us. As a matter of fact, the parents of all my friends also had permission to kick our a$$! Nowhere was safe!

4) There were no MP3’s or Napsters or iTunes! If you wanted to steal music, you had to hitchhike to the record store and shoplift it yourself!

5) Or you had to wait around all day to tape it off the radio, and the DJ would usually talk over the beginning and @#*% it all up! There were no CD players! ?We had tape decks in our car. We’d play our favorite tape and “eject” it when finished, and then the tape would come undone rendering it useless. Cause, hey, that’s how we rolled, Baby! Dig?

6) We didn’t have fancy crap like Call Waiting! If you were on the phone and somebody else called, they got a busy signal, that’s it!

7) There weren’t any freakin’ cell phones either. If you left the house, you just didn’t make a damn call or receive one. You actually had to be out of touch with your “friends”. OH MY GOD !!! Think of the horror… not being in touch with someone 24/7!!! And then there’s TEXTING. Yeah, right. Please! You kids have no idea how annoying you are.

8) And we didn’t have fancy Caller ID either! When the phone rang, you had no idea who it was! It could be your school, your parents, your boss, your bookie, your drug dealer, the collection agent… you just didn’t know!!! You had to pick it up and take your chances, mister!

9) We didn’t have any fancy PlayStation or Xbox video games with high-resolution 3-D graphics! We had the Atari 2600! With games like ‘Space Invaders’ and ‘Asteroids’. Your screen guy was a little square! ?You actually had to use your imagination!!! And there were no multiple levels or screens, it was just one screen… Forever! And you could never win. The game just kept getting harder and harder and faster and faster until you died! Just like LIFE!

10) You had to use a little book called a TV Guide to find out what was on! You were screwed when it came to channel surfing! You had to get off your ass and walk over to the TV to change the channel!!! NO REMOTES!!! Oh, no, what’s the world coming to?!

11) There was no Cartoon Network either! You could only get cartoons on Saturday Morning. Do you hear what I’m saying? We had to wait ALL WEEK for cartoons, you spoiled little rat-ba$tards!

12) And we didn’t have microwaves. If we wanted to heat something up, we had to use the stove! Imagine that!

13) And our parents told us to stay outside and play… all day long. Oh, no, no electronics to soothe and comfort. And if you came back inside… you were doing chores!

14) And we wore our underwear inside of our pants, not outside, particularly pulled down so the bottoms hit your knees.

And car seats - oh, please! Mom threw you in the back seat and you hung on. If you were lucky, you got the “safety arm” across the chest at the last moment if she had to stop suddenly, and if your head hit the dashboard, well that was your fault for calling “shot gun” in the first place!

See! That’s exactly what I’m talking about! You kids today have got it too easy. You’re spoiled rotten! You guys wouldn’t have lasted five minutes back in 1970 or any time before!

Regards,
The Over 50 Crowd ? ;-)

I imagine this must be funny, but the type is so damn small. The nice thing about getting old I hear is the Picture Box is so loud you can't hear your own farts.

What...Huh? I can't hear Scooter you with all these big letters flying around! Smarty kids and there internet tom-fooling. :D

Ok most teens are like that. I am almost 15 1/2 and don't have a cell phone. Texting IS A TOTAL WASTE OF TIME IF YOU ASK ME! Pant sagging!! don't get me started there. supid!!!!!!! :crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: I don't what to kill somebody on a game. I want a can and a rifle, Or better yet be at the airport!

Oh my summer occupation is growing cash crops. (okra and cucumbers) Next year I hope to add peppers and sweet potatoes.

Reuben

Ps Oh forgot about working on becoming a mission pilot too.

Back