• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Fun Things- Honduras

Lippy

Every time I ask for advice, the knowledge bank of supercub.org amazes me! That said…

In mid June we’re headed down to the air show in San Pedro Sula, Honduras. We’ll be there for about a week with some things planned, but several “free” days. We may have access to a 206 (plus knowledgeable pilot) while in country if that affects anybody’s comments. Little is permanently in stone, other then attending the air show. What’s there to do?

Thanks for your help in advance,

Lippy

Hmm, at your age I would think the main thing on your mind would be chasing skirts! ;) I seem to recall there are lots to look at in that part of the world. Other than that I can't help you, been to Panama but not Honduras.
Have fun!!
WW

Some of the best sailfish/marlin fishing in the world is Honduras/Guatamala, on the Pacific side. We boated nearly 75 fish one time fishing out of Guatamala. The charter is not too bad $$ if you have a group. Summertime is the best time for big marlin offshore

Jim

Lippy:
It is truly a great country! The north coast where you will be in San Perdo Sula is not as much tourist oriented as the south, but still plenty to see and do. Whether you have an airplane or not head east to La Ceiba and continue down the Mosquito Coast for some of the most beautiful scenery and villages around. And if you’re so inclined there are plenty of Jamaican strip clubs and rum to be had! East of La Ceiba there are many missionary operations based on the coast and while avgas was around it was very expensive, and many dirt strips.

If you really want the tourist thing, head to the south coast to the Tiger Islands for diving, fishing and boating.

And of course to Roatan off the North coast or even over to Belize for some of the best diving in the hemisphere.

In interior of the country its remote and rugged, if you fly anywhere in the interior have the mother of all survival gear with you. There are places in the interior that it would be a week walk to get to anything. But remains an incredible place and will be a great adventure.

Norm

WW- I recon no matter what part of the world you find them, they’re all expensive! How ya been? Are you in the country?

Scouter- Off shore marlin fishing… great idea! Which country were you in? I’ve never been “big fish” hunting before. GOOD idea!

NDRII- What a coincidence... I like rum and most places that sell it! All good ideas. It will be fun going to a new country and learning about it.

I wonder how difficult it would be to get a Honduran pilots certificate. I’m fairly up to speed on our system. Do you think it’d be possible to do in a week? Does anybody know if they operate off of the JAA or ATPL rules?

Good info guys…

Lippy,
Yep, back "in country"! Got back a couple of weeks ago. Welcome mat is out!! :)
I hope you have a great time down south....it is a whole different world down there and some beautiful sites.
WW

aircam on floats

roatan bay island airways gives rides in an aircam on floats

bayislandairways

be careful down there, is not the USA or Canada

Great idea. I'm not that big of fan of the "ultra light" type BUT the aircam is quite a machine. Most of my twin time is in one of those on wheels. Absolutely AMAZING performance. Floats would be a blast!

Every time i need advice, supercub.org always comes through...

THANK YOU GUYS,

Zach

Ok guys, I should probably give yawl an update on the Honduras trip. We came down in June for the air show. Long story short, (sorry if this gets long) we were out drinking rum with one of the hospital administrators from La Ceiba. I told him I wanted to rent an airplane to see the country. He instructed me to be at the hospital at 08:00 the following morning as they were having a surgeons meeting and a helicopter crew would be there putting on a presentation. We did…

After the presentation I got to talking with the crew and they discovered I was an airplane guy. They liked me. (First mistake) When they found out I was also a helicopter guy, they about came un-glued. (Second mistake). We got to the helicopter and guess what this sucker is? A Sikorsky S62A! Heck yeah... an amphibious helicopter that could lift a Jeep. Well, perhaps not a jeep but this is one big ship! We fly from La Ceiba, out to Roatan, land on a dock, get a tour of the resort and island, head back out to the helicopter. My instructions were to take off and circle the bay. Gear up; we’re doing a climbing 180. The next instructions were to land in the bay! Oh boy! I’m giggling like a little kid. My next instruction was to make a low pass over the resort docks to “inspect for possible debris.” Wink, Wink… We head to Roatan, I shoot an approach, and land. Upon arriving the pilot wanted me to come back down to get fully trained in on the helicopter!

I returned a week ago and am writing from the isle de Roatan. We are flying medical evacuations from the bay islands into La Ceiba and San Pedro. The last flight: bad weather in mountains

Flight time:
*Roatan- La Ceiba De Antoine Hospital .6
*De Antoine Hospital- Tegucigalpa 2.4 (2 hours instrument)
*Tegucigalpa- La Ceiba 2.7 (1.8 hours instrument)
*La Ceiba- Roatan .7

*Total 6.4 hours

What a day. This was the first day of flying the Sikorsky. We had a burn patient who was working underneath a car when the gas tank exploded. He was burnt over 70% of his body. We flew him from La Ceiba to Tegucigalpa. This is where my first landing of this trip took place… the supposed worst runway in the world. I sure wouldn’t want to land a jet there! Come to think about it… a helicopter probably isn’t a hell of a lot better. On the North end of the runway is a cliff: on the South end is a mountain with a building on the top. The trip there was my first **real** I.F.R. helicopter time. My flight suite, I could have wrung the sweat out of it. The flight nurses in the back complained because it was cold at altitude. I don’t know how the #*^% they were cold.

The trip back was equally stressful, excluding the absence of the guy in the back. We had thunder storms which we needed to punch through. The helicopter did remarkably well in those conditions, with little notice of turbulence. It sure is squirrelly in the clouds though. Perhaps it is me. Nope, that can’t be it!

I’m planning on staying for 6 months. If there is anybody from supercub land in the area, shoot me an email. They’ve got good rum just down the road.

I’ll try to figure out how to load pictures…

Lippy

Back