• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Fluidyne (Federal) ski question

bcarro6

Hello,

I have a couple of questions--maybe someone can help me out??

I have a set of Fluidyne (Federal) A-2000's skis on my Cub. I need new ski axle bushings and I can't find a source. I have tried the Anchorage group, Dodge, Stoddard etc. No luck. I called Wipaire, but they don't return calls, so I gave up on them.

My questions are:
> Does anyone have a set that they would sell. I have a 1 1/2 inch axle?
> I am sure that I can have a local machine shop make a set. If I do, what material would I use? I was thinking brass or possibly a plastic?
> Does anyone know of a source?

Any and all comments would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Bob Carroll
Deer Park Washington
509-292-8241[/b]

Try Aero Ski Mfg Co in Brooten MN 320-346-2285. their ski is almost identical at the top. and fittings will be the same. They use a hard rubber bushing and a steel sleeve for the 1 1/2 in axle.

Bob, Aero may be able to help, but the Federal is a lot bigger on the top than the Aero. I've made bushings from aluminum for the Federal 2000. It's probably best to measure your own skis and have some made to fit.

If you need measurements or help send a PM, I'm not on the puter much lately, but I'll get back to you when I can.

does anyone know what the differences in the hole diameter between the Aero and Federal are? I always thought they were the same.

Aero M2000, 1 1/2"

Federal A2000A, 2 1/8"

Maybe the sizes changed over the years, but this is usually the way I see them.

I made aluminum spacers for my Federals. Brass would work to, just heavier. I thought about using some of that fancy new plastic stuff to make bushings, but I just don't think plastic would hold up to the shock load in the cold without breaking. With extended gear the bungees pull sideways more, and the rubber bushings would take a set with the skis pigeon toed. It tracks nice and straight this way, but it takes about 40 acres to turn the bastard around.

SuperCub MD said:
Aero M2000, 1 1/2"

Federal A2000A, 2 1/8"

Maybe the sizes changed over the years, but this is usually the way I see them.

I made aluminum spacers for my Federals. Brass would work to, just heavier. I thought about using some of that fancy new plastic stuff to make bushings, but I just don't think plastic would hold up to the shock load in the cold without breaking. With extended gear the bungees pull sideways more, and the rubber bushings would take a set with the skis pigeon toed. It tracks nice and straight this way, but it takes about 40 acres to turn the bastard around.

I've used Delrin rod stock on numerous occassions to bush Federal and Aero skis down to homebuilt axles sizes of 1 1/4" , 3/4" and 5/8" diameters and then a big ass washer on each side to hold it inside the pedestal. You can't wear the stuff out and it's self lubricating.

Cheers,
Wayne

I might have to try something different when going back to Federals. I never liked the way federal's bushings would bell the housing after a lot of rough treatment. Always thought maybe you needed that rubber to cushion the shock on the axle.

Call Dans Aircraft in Anchorage, they did mine ( or had them done)

We have to so some work to get the Federal 2500s on my new gear. (I went from 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 gear). That will include new wheels and tires.

How big a tire can you fit on these.

GR

Well, you can put 29's on, however they do not clear the bottom of the ski very well. Most people run 8.50 or 26's. I personally like to use an old runout pair of 8.50 from some air taxi (get them for free) They give good ground clearance (about the same size as 26's) are smooth ( air taxi service wore them out) and light (no tread). I do not worry about them tell the cord starts to show and then go get another set (for free)

I have put extended plastic bottoms on my AWB2500. The plastic sticks out all the way around making the ski larger. I got a field approval for this. Send me an email and I will send you some pictures of my set up.

Skis for a Scout

Just brought myself a Scout and am having trouble finding a ski that is STC'd for it.
I would perfer hydrolic wheel skis however would take some wheel penetration skis until Landis gets their new skis STC'd.

Thank you for all replys.

Ken......

Try aerro ski for the scout. they have a spring retract.

Send me or call me the dimentions and I will turn you some bushings from aluminum. I can do delrin, but I would have to have some sent up, take two weeks.

Pay for the aluminum/delrin. (907) 789-9661

George

Read through again, I do not think that Delrin will hold up with only 5/16 wall thickness. Stick with aluminum, steel or rubber.

Just my opinion, can do it either way if you like.

I had a couple sets of bushings made from an oil-impregnated hard plastic(cant remember what its called) Its green in color. Light wieght and easy to work with. Work great.

If you use delrin use the black it is rated for -40 the white is only -20. delrin is excellent stuff for bushing, i have made bushing for parts from delrin. the wall thickness will not be a issue. It also makes good duck and goose calls.

wheel skies

I just installed a pair of AWB2500 on 61N, I rebuilt them from scratch with loads of help from Steve Krakie @ Atlee Dodge, he built me a custom set of MGL brackets so i could run 26" or a smaller tire set up.Big Lake local cub builders, Timmy Goodrow & Jay Cross helped me out tremendously with the install & rigging. I put 2"extended bottoms on them & run with a federal tail wheel ski, the pump was not finished when I shot a pic of it.I like the performance of them so far.

Picture_059.jpg

Picture_060.jpg

Federal Ski installation

Some where i have a diagram showing the angle up and down for Federal Skis on a PA-18 but I can't seemed to find it. Does anyone have that diagram?

The AWB 2500 A skis are appoved on the TC for use with 8.00 or 8.50 X 6.00 tires.

I measured my AWB 2500 skis to see if Goodyear 26 inch tires would fit--no go, but it's because of side spacing, not diameter. I'm currently running 8.50's and no problem with that size.

I suppose you could space the wheel out some for clearance.....

I find that the 8.50's, with stock length arms, stick down a ways (not far, but too far) below the bottom of the skis, and create MEGA drag in the snow.

If I were going to go with bigger tires, I'd want longer arms to ensure the tires didn't extend below the ski bottom.

We had some AWB's that were rigged for the old Goodyear 25 inch Airwheels, and they worked great, but the arms were modified.

MTV

"What David Jaranson said"

This is Nylatron. I had the bushings machined at a higher up fab shop. Best money $$$ I ever spent.

IMG_9361.jpg

I guess one with a CAD system and raw stock on hand and employees to get you in and out the door. I am sure this could be done with a lathe in the garage. Don't tell them it's for an airplane. The shop told me they couldn't make the part, so I told them well it's really a bushing for a cross country ski trail groomer sled. They smiled. The lawyers of this land have f--ked up commerce. Product liability and the gauntlet companies run now is like a mine field. Sad really sad.

Back