• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

FAA TCDS search

You’re definitely not missing something. The site redesign is very hard to use - not intuitive at all. When I try to navigate within it I find that I can’t divine the underlying logic for its organization. It may help to let the FAA know it’s not a useful site: perhaps they will eventually get the message are try a new design.

This "new" site seems designed to keep people out. Completely undecipherable. If you've got a day to waste and unlimited patience give it a try.:mad::mad::mad:

You’re definitely not missing something. The site redesign is very hard to use - not intuitive at all. When I try to navigate within it I find that I can’t divine the underlying logic for its organization. It may help to let the FAA know it’s not a useful site: perhaps they will eventually get the message are try a new design.
When this new site came out I sent the FAA an Email telling them of my displeasure. Their answer was basically "We like it , you are a dumb s--t. Shut up and go away.". I keep this link https://drs.faa.gov/browse which if you scroll down the left side will lead you to stuff you may be looking for. I'm getting used to it, but still liked the old way better.

A couple years ago I did an IA seminar on using the DRS and how terrible it was. The Richmond FSDO was there and I got letters in my designee files stating I was not presenting the FAA in a favorable light with my presentation! The site has gotten much better but it still is difficult to navigate. I suggest to everyone to hit the DRS Feedback button and tell them the site sucks and give examples why.

As for finding your TCDS, click on "design and Production Approvals, then Type Certificate Data Sheets. Once on the filters page forget everything except MODEL. click on that field and scroll down to your aircraft model and click that then over to the right lower corner and "Apply". Forget the rest of the Filter options, they just screw up the thing.

For AD searches it is much harder to use. I can give examples where depending on how you search you will get different ADs popping up. As an IA I would never trust the DRS as a primary source of AD searches. The one advantage is if you make a log in you can save your search criteria and be able to search the same thing each inspection.

Looking for TCDS's or STC's, I find it easiest to figure out the number (TCDS 1A2 for example),
then search on the drs site for that.
Searching on the drs site using make & model hasn't worked out well for me.
The old "FAA library" website was much more user friendly.

Looking for TCDS's or STC's, I find it easiest to figure out the number (TCDS 1A2 for example),
then search on the drs site for that.
Searching on the drs site using make & model hasn't worked out well for me.
The old "FAA library" website was much more user friendly.
Forget using "Make & Model", just use Model.

Forget using "Make & Model", just use Model.
Exactly. Many of the older Type Certificates are now held by someone other than the "Make" name. For example, many of the Piper and Cessna TCs are no longer owned by Piper or Cessna. Univair has bought up the rights to a LOT of older aircraft.

MTV

When this new site came out I sent the FAA an Email telling them of my displeasure. Their answer was basically "We like it , you are a dumb s--t. Shut up and go away.". I keep this link https://drs.faa.gov/browse which if you scroll down the left side will lead you to stuff you may be looking for. I'm getting used to it, but still liked the old way better.
Thanks for the link. I’ve bookmarked it and renamed the bookmark “FAA’s terrible site.” The new name is far more descriptive than “Dynamic Regulatory System,” which may mean something to somebody, but is meaningless to me. Dynamic Regulatory System, or DRS for short, reminds me of the movie Office Space and its TPS Report. Sheesh

Back