• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Electronic Programming???

I foresee the software and programing updates to be a problem that will have to be addressed in the future. Software updates on skyBeacons and the like have already slipped through my fingers.

Discussions like this one make it seem like a big (bigger?) part of being a pilot is not just flying the airplane,
but being able to program your avionics.
Some people just don't have the skill, inclination, or knack to do so.
Just like working on them.
Not saying the installer should be responsible for it,
but I can see where an IT type guy could keep somewhat busy programming avionics for owners.
Maybe a side hustle-- kinda like a friend of mine who does prop balancing.

I foresee the software and programing updates to be a problem that will have to be addressed in the future. Software updates on skyBeacons and the like have already slipped through my fingers.

I'm pretty good with computers and, in my opinion, the Skybeacon firmware update application sucks. Maybe it has been improved in the last year but I strugggled with a firmware update about a year ago. The only way I could confirm the update had actually been made was by running the android app. The PC loader didn't give a good indication of success.

Firmware/software updates on GPS 175 and G3X Touch are easy.

Discussions like this one make it seem like a big (bigger?) part of being a pilot is not just flying the airplane,
but being able to program your avionics.

[systems engineer mode on]

If a customer receives a new avionics update from an installer it should be configured so all interfaces are operational and the system functions as designed. The customer should not need to program anything. The customer should have enough knowledge of the system to operate it but that is not "programming".

Many systems have customer preferences but these are usually set from "operating mode" menus and do not require entering a "configuration mode". The customer should be aware that these user options exist and, if different selections are required, the customer should be responsible for changing them if a specific set of user options was not defined to the installer.

A system should be delivered to the customer with current firmware/software and, if applicable, with current databases. A customer who has read and understood the pilot guides should be able to operate it and fly it away. A customer should not need to enter configuration menus to make the system work.

[systems engineer mode off]

There may be others who disagree and, if so, it's important for the installer and customer to agree on the work that is going to be done and the usability of the system after delivery.

Last edited:
My problem is I am doing the maintenance and am not up to date on the avionics updates. It is almost like it needs to go from an annual inspection from my shop to an avionics shop to verify it maybe I need to take the time to educate myself and then and a few more steps to my inspection and maintenance.

Configuration is not programming/software/updates. In configuration mode I simply tell the units what they are connected to and positions on the aircraft. That part is independent of the customers wishes.

Web

Configuration is not programming/software/updates.

I don't actually know what people posting to this thread mean by "programming". To me it means writing the code that runs in the system's processors. That is a step far removed from either the installer or the end user.

I have written code (programmed) but not professionally.

Perhaps those using the term "programming" would say what activity they are refering to.

Typical end user tasks would be:

Selection of different user options
Software/firmware updates
Database updates

On some certified systems the end user is not permitted to make software/firmware updates. Another reason to like experimental.

My problem is I am doing the maintenance and am not up to date on the avionics updates. It is almost like it needs to go from an annual inspection from my shop to an avionics shop to verify it maybe I need to take the time to educate myself and then and a few more steps to my inspection and maintenance.

One of the issues is the ICAs for the STC require you to check the status of software updates. Need to add it to your checklist (and charge for it). Of course then your customer needs to supply the password if it isn’t one you installed and already have the password.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm pretty good with computers and, in my opinion, the Skybeacon firmware update application sucks. Maybe it has been improved in the last year but I strugggled with a firmware update about a year ago. The only way I could confirm the update had actually been made was by running the android app. The PC loader didn't give a good indication of success. .....

I'm kinda surprised to see this comment.
I updated my Tailbeacon back about 2 years ago (with version 1.5.1) and found it very easy to do--
which considering my limited computer skills is saying quite a lot.
It was so easy that I actually volunteered to update several friends' sky/tailbeacon units for them.
Of course, there was a certain procedure to follow (don't recall the particulars now) but it was pretty simple..

I'm kinda surprised to see this comment.
I updated my Tailbeacon back about 2 years ago (with version 1.5.1) and found it very easy to do--
which considering my limited computer skills is saying quite a lot.
It was so easy that I actually volunteered to update several friends' sky/tailbeacon units for them.
Of course, there was a certain procedure to follow (don't recall the particulars now) but it was pretty simple..

I was attempting to update a wing tip SkyBeacon to firmware 1.5.1 using updater version 1.1.0. My problem was that the PC updater application did not show the device configuration either before or after firmware update. The firmware update was sucessful but the PC application did not indicate that it was.

I provided full details including screen captures to uAvionix support in an email dated 9/20/21. They answered 12/13/2021 with information that had no connection to the question I had asked them. By that time I had lost interest.

Do you have a screen capture of the loader tool after a sucessful update?

Last edited:
.....Do you have a screen capture of the loader tool after a sucessful update?

No I don't, like I said it was aboput 2 years ago that I did that update.
I don't recall that the updater showed anything, before or after,
but when you open the app for your sky/tailbeacon it should show which firmware version is installed.

Back