• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Did I ruin my covering?

Superflite 102 covering. I know very little about fabric covering.

Noticed I apparently may have damaged my covering. Wing was directly below overhead tube radiant heat system. It appears that the covering has been over shrunk from the heat. 1st pic is before, 2nd pic is after. You will notice concave areas between ribs. What problems may this cause if I don’t recover the wing?
IMG_5354.png
IMG_5352.jpeg

Superflite 102 covering. I know very little about fabric covering.

Noticed I apparently may have damaged my covering. Wing was directly below overhead tube radiant heat system. It appears that the covering has been over shrunk from the heat. 1st pic is before, 2nd pic is after. You will notice concave areas between ribs. What problems may this cause if I don’t recover the wing?
View attachment 105853
View attachment 105854
The photos you provided are from different angles.first shot is catching tank cover and leading edge skin.
“Scalloping” you’re seeing second photo is pretty normal. Though fabric should still be taught, is it?
Both wings subjected to same heat source? compare both wings from same angle.
Surface would need to get pretty hot - 375° +.
Be interesting to place something else in the same location and monitor surface temp with heat source turned on.

How long ago were the wings recovered?

Is the fabric tension between the affected ribs similar side to side and front to back? Is the fabric between the ribs sagging or is it uniformly tight?

Is the darken paint an illusion or real discoloration? Is it on one side only?

The photos you provided are from different angles.first shot is catching tank cover and leading edge skin.
“Scalloping” you’re seeing second photo is pretty normal. Though fabric should still be taught, is it?
Both wings subjected to same heat source? compare both wings from same angle.
Surface would need to get pretty hot - 375° +.
Be interesting to place something else in the same location and monitor surface temp with heat source turned on.
Yeah, angle sucks between the two pics...

Fabric is tight, "banjo string tight"...both wings were directly under the heat source, radiant heat tube runs span of wings...this right wing compared to the left just appears to have much more "scalloping" if you will. The ribs are stitched, so I don't think its possible to collapse the ribs just by overheating, or is it??? I guess I am curious about the possibility of this causing a wing to twist or change the rigging if you will....

Last edited:
How long ago were the wings recovered?

Is the fabric tension between the affected ribs similar side to side and front to back? Is the fabric between the ribs sagging or is it uniformly tight?

Is the darken paint an illusion or real discoloration? Is it on one side only?
Wings were covered in 2005-2006. Fabric tightness on each individual wing is similar in each rib bay, right wing just has more pronounced scalloping than the left wing. Fabric is not sagging (I think you are asking if it is loose) in fact it is "banjo string tight"...no discoloration...Just don't recall such pronounced scalloping and wondered if one wing having more than the other could pose a problem. I will have to try to get better pics unless there is nothing to worry about.

how close to the heat source was the plane, looks like a 14-16' sidewall, i am sure you have stood under those heaters while they were on did you think it the temp was any where near 300 deg ?

Are you certain this is new or did you just not notice it before?
The second picture indicates it was shrunk between the ribs first, which pulls from front to back. If you shrink over the ribs first, it will shrink from tip to root first, reducing that scalloping.

You are concerned that heat from your Tube Heater heated up your fabric enough to shrink it.

Fact: Aircraft fabric shrinks with heat. It will not shrink until its heated above 200F. Farbic installed on aircraft gets heated with an iron in stages up to 350F. Hotter it gets (up to 350) the more it shrinks. Once shrunk to a temperature it (generally) does not relax back. To shrink it more it needs more heat, but above 350F it can start to relax and give. I would be nervous if my iron hit 375, and be swearing if it hit 400F.

Please go gather some real data. "It appears...I noticed..." is doubt, and it can be put to rest with data.

Put a straight edge over the ribs and measure the depth of the fabric at every bay.

Get your hand dandy IR temperature gun. Put the aircraft back under the heat source and see how hot it gets. If it hits 250F dont worry....move on. If its still climbing above 300F or 325F then stop it. Its is possible (not conclusive) that your suspicions have merit.

Is it possible the aluminum under the fabric got heated up and expanded and tightened up the fabric where it was heated? Did it fix itself when it cooled?

Are you certain this is new or did you just not notice it before?
The second picture indicates it was shrunk between the ribs first, which pulls from front to back. If you shrink over the ribs first, it will shrink from tip to root first, reducing that scalloping.
No, I am not certain this is new, just noticed pronounced scalloping and what looked like a bit more on right wing versus left wing, I haven't measured difference left wing to right wing, but noticeable, I will have to measure and report back unless imbalance of the amount of scalloping is of no real concern, that's where I was hoping someone could tell me if I'm worrying about nothing...since I know nothing about the covering process beyond generalities (only have experience with RC airplane covering which I know you could twist a wing if not careful, would hope that doesn't translate to full scale airplanes). I was just trying to understand at what point one should become concerned, or if excessive scalloping/shrinking post rigging could cause issues...

You are concerned that heat from your Tube Heater heated up your fabric enough to shrink it.

Fact: Aircraft fabric shrinks with heat. It will not shrink until its heated above 200F. Farbic installed on aircraft gets heated with an iron in stages up to 350F. Hotter it gets (up to 350) the more it shrinks. Once shrunk to a temperature it (generally) does not relax back. To shrink it more it needs more heat, but above 350F it can start to relax and give. I would be nervous if my iron hit 375, and be swearing if it hit 400F.

Please go gather some real data. "It appears...I noticed..." is doubt, and it can be put to rest with data.

Put a straight edge over the ribs and measure the depth of the fabric at every bay.

Get your hand dandy IR temperature gun. Put the aircraft back under the heat source and see how hot it gets. If it hits 250F dont worry....move on. If its still climbing above 300F or 325F then stop it. Its is possible (not conclusive) that your suspicions have merit.

Is it possible the aluminum under the fabric got heated up and expanded and tightened up the fabric where it was heated? Did it fix itself when it cooled?
Thanks for the facts and temp info and the explanation of the shrinking process and at what surface temps to get concerned...this helps a rookie like myself!

"Put a straight edge over the ribs and measure the depth of the fabric at every bay." --- Would you be concerned with a certain amount of depth or imbalance from bay to bay or wing to wing?

Not sure if it was an aluminum expansion thing or not, turned off heat and left shortly after, haven't been back to look again, will report back once I see it tomorrow.

Back