• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Cub flying experience around Olathe Kansas?

DavePA11

Considering applying for an interesting job in Olathe, Kansas. However, before I do I was curious to know how the Cub flying is out in this area?

I have lived in NE and Denver area, and when living in the Denver area was really surprised at how flat and desert like it is around Denver. New England flying is a blast with so much to see from Glenn in upstate NY, coast in Maine, mountains in NH, VT, to Cape Cod, Martha's Vineyard and south along the coast. I didn't like flying much in Denver area since everything was long flights, hour+ drive to hangar and not much interesting too see except for mountain flying out west.

What is it like to flying around the Olathe area in Kansas? Are hangars available? Noticed the Cedar Airpark is for sale which I could buy. :)

Thanks!
Dave

I've flown in and around the area for years on business. KC is seasonally very green and very interesting and is only about 1.5-2 hrs from NW Arkansas for some serious Fly Oz fun. If I was looking at the area, I would take a look at the little airport in Gardner which has lots of TW activity.

I know nothing about flying around Olathe Kansas. However in looking at the Cedar Airpark, I see potential. In my experience of airport ownership, once you start a particular type of flying other pilots of similar interests will migrate to the location. Before you know it Cubs and other tail draggers will be showing up. What's not to like about a big grass field. Before you know it there will be more requests for hangar space which will generate expansion. There appears to be plenty of room for more hangars. If you have self serve gas available, the attraction is greater and it will help pay the bills. There are a lot of homes next door. I wouldn't be surprised if there were some pilot wanabees living there.

One of the benefits of that area (besides great barbecue), is that many of the airports with paved runways/fuel, have grass runways as well. I’ve also found that many owners of private airports in that area are welcoming, especially when your advanced call to them mentions you fly a Cub.

Hi CubCrusier,

I clicked on the cubflying.com and appears you are in Florida?

Another option I have been considering is retiring at The Villages and rent a hangar near by, but everyone keeps telling me its too hot to go out side during the summer months in Florida. I don't like being indoors and recently moved back to Massachusetts from Colorado to care for my wife's parents and after being inside from Nov to April due to rain and cold I'm ready to move back to Colorado or someplace else with better weather. Wife's parents had to go to memory care unit due to dementia. Best to enjoy life while you can since knew know when stuff like this will kick in.

How is it like in Florida during the summer months? I assume under shade would be fine with fans and everything is air conditioned?

Thanks for all the replies! I applied to the job in Olathe KS.
Dave

Dave;

I had a very long reply written but decided against posting it as it strayed a bit from directly addressing your question.

Florida during the summer is no hotter than anywhere else in the US - per my experience. Yes it does get more humid than most places, but it is just something you either learn to address when you live there - or you move back up to Yankeeland where you belong.........Oops - sorry - slipping back there a bit.

My way of looking at Florida has always been not somewhere that's hot during the summer, but rather somewhere that isn't cold during the winter. I like to remind folks that no one ever had a heart attack while shoveling "heat."

Are you aware of "The Villages" reputation? I don't want to mention it here in public, but if the rep is accurate it's not your mainstream old folks hangout.

Yankeeland... I got a laugh over that. In my life I was born in Kentucky, lived in OH, CA, PA, NJ, CO and MA. So not really a Yankee, but flying around New England, central PA and around Rocky mountains are all amazing. Flying east of Denver was boring in comparison. Thanks for the laugh.

My wife's cousin lives in The Villages, and I didn't see any evidence of its reputation when we visited. It was actually cool place with golfing, riding golf carts instead of cars, music, swimming, etc. I think someone made up the reputation to sell more homes there.

There are some fun places to fly in KS. There are some quiet grass strips around....Horton and Hiawatha are not too far but nothing else there.. Atchison is Amelia Earharts birth place. Great bbq at Miami County. Gardner is a nice place as was mentioned before. There are other places around. But if you head about 2 hours south in the cub, VBT is a great stop and launching place for lots of cool strips. There are about 100 strips within 100 miles of here with varying degrees of difficulty. Some also have nice camping and swimming holes.

Lived in KC for almost 40 years before we moved to Bentonville As Cafi says a two hour (in a pa11) flight south will get you to a lot of fun and you can visit us! 😀

Happy to talk with you about the pros and cons of the real Midwest..

sj

P.s. Check Gardner Ks K34 for hangars and cub type people. Cedar Airpak is a jewel. Been there many times and knew the owners who were big banner towers for years in KC.

I hangared both downtown (KMKC) and at Noah's Ark (Private, open T's only) for many years. Downtown was a great place to be for where I lived in the north part of town, but not a lot of cub folks.

sj

Last edited:
Are you aware of "The Villages" reputation? I don't want to mention it here in public, but if the rep is accurate it's not your mainstream old folks hangout.

"The Villages is not the "STD capital of the world" or even the United States. This appears to be an exaggerated urban legend that gained traction after a gynecologist's offhand comment in 2006 about treating more herpes cases in The Villages than in Miami. The available data does not support the claim that The Villages has disproportionately high STD rates compared to other areas. In fact, the three counties containing The Villages tend to have significantly lower STD rates than the overall Florida average. The rumor was likely sensationalized by media outlets seeking an attention-grabbing story about the active sex lives of retirees in The Villages."

sj

Last edited:
I am a life long Kansan.
A number of years ago, I was weathered
in at an airport in the Yukon on my way home from Alaska. There were about eight other pilots stuck there as well. We were all talking about where they were headed to in the states , when it came my turn I said “Kansas “
Another pilot look at me and ask “
“on purpose?”

Last edited:
"The Villages is not the "STD capital of the world" or even the United States. This appears to be an exaggerated urban legend that gained traction after a gynecologist's offhand comment in 2006 about treating more herpes cases in The Villages than in Miami. The available data does not support the claim that The Villages has disproportionately high STD rates compared to other areas. In fact, the three counties containing The Villages tend to have significantly lower STD rates than the overall Florida average. The rumor was likely sensationalized by media outlets seeking an attention-grabbing story about the active sex lives of retirees in The Villages."

sj
Thank you SJ for the clarification.

However....

That wasn't the reputation I had heard. I'm sure what I've heard ( for many years) is entirely made up as well, but I thought someone considering the place ought to know about it - and he appears to.

We have friends in the Villages that we have visited. I just have issues with the heat otherwise that place is a blast. Basically one massive party place for 60 + . A activity center or group for most anything you can think of. I don't think I would every run out of people I could tell my flying stories to a pilots dream!! :LOL:
DENNY

Reactions: sj
Thank you SJ for the clarification.

However....

That wasn't the reputation I had heard. I'm sure what I've heard ( for many years) is entirely made up as well, but I thought someone considering the place ought to know about it - and he appears to.
But one thing leads to another… that reputation has also been debunked.

sj

Well, welcome to Kansas City area if you accept the position offered. I have been here since 1985 moving from Central NY for employment, started flying in 1997 and bought a PA-18 90HP in 2006 with floats and wheels flying between KC area to Northern MN for Summer float time and back again in the Fall.

As pointed out before and looking at a KC sectional, there are several airports around KC. Probably one of the best areas in the US for flying.

K81 in Paola, KS and KTOP Billard in Topeka, KS have nice restaurants.

So, if you land here, I'm sure you will enjoy the area!!!

Plus, an added bonus, I think this is true, no property tax on private airplanes in Kansas.

Last edited:
no, we have property tax on private aircraft in Kansas. There is no property tax on business aircraft in Kansas.
You can apply for a property tax exemption on experimental aircraft.

Reactions: sj
Thanks for all the insights! I got an interview so hope it works out. Surprised to hear about the property tax. I'll have to buy a 1994 or earlier plane.

1715896722424.png

Lived in KC for almost 40 years before we moved to Bentonville As Cafi says a two hour (in a pa11) flight south will get you to a lot of fun and you can visit us! 😀

Happy to talk with you about the pros and cons of the real Midwest..

sj
Why did you move to Arkansas? Thanks!

I grew up in the Eastern Establishment. All my tickets properly punched. But after service in the Navy, I escaped and moved to northwest Montana. I’ll never leave, but I have barnstormed with the American Barnstormers Tour in the Midwest, and I love those folks. Honest, hardworking, no B.S.

I grew up in the Eastern Establishment. All my tickets properly punched. But after service in the Navy, I escaped and moved to northwest Montana. I’ll never leave, but I have barnstormed with the American Barnstormers Tour in the Midwest, and I love those folks. Honest, hardworking, no B.S.
Hi Hank,

I have potential job opportunity in Billings MT. I haven’t replied back yet, but what are your thoughts of the Billings area? Read there was a lot of crime so I held off on pursuing it. I think it’s still open. Homes seemed expensive, and wasn’t sure if any airports are in the area.

Thanks,
Dave

Hi Hank,

I have potential job opportunity in Billings MT. I haven’t replied back yet, but what are your thoughts of the Billings area? Read there was a lot of crime so I held off on pursuing it. I think it’s still open. Homes seemed expensive, and wasn’t sure if any airports are in the area.

Thanks,
Dave
Talk with @kase

Hi Hank,

Thanks,
Dave

Hi Hank,

Thanks,
Dave
Hi Dave, I live a long way from Billings and can’t help you. Sorry.

Oh, I almost forgot. If you like major league sports, there’s a pretty good NFL team in KC and the MLB KC Royals are starting to improve again.

Dave, of your worried about crime move out by Cooperstown. We still leave the keys in the cars.

Glenn
I was actually considering this too Glenn!

May have to take unplanned early retirement and considering central PA to retire too if I can't find a job. NY has too high taxes though.

Last edited:
Back