• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Crash and Lessons Learned

No indycar had a fuel cell burst this weekend and the have never had one since I have been involved, the fires where due to oil system swirl pots getting ripped off.

Sent from my HTC Evo using Tapatalk

Thes is reassuring Mongo. I would like to know more about the fuel cell construction. Seems this would be easy to modify, for the experimentals at least. What could be better than a super tough fuel tank system and other mods to make it a bit more safe, considering how many super cub crashes have fires.

I am all for safer mods alright, but we do take some risks, in fact alot of risk when using our planes. Makes me wounder if the wing tanks don,t get me in a fire maybe the 32 gallon belly tank that I,m sitting on will ?

Bill

Obviously a fuel cell tank and moving the electrics out of the wing root are good ideas, but I've considered an accelerometer driven device as an add-on to the contactor back by the battery that would disconnect the main buss in a g-force 'event' and maybe provide a contact to fire airbags or fire extinguishers....????....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe also a foam/epoxy fiberglass sandwich on the inside of the butt rib to keep gasoline on the outside of the cabin and insulate the tank metal from the electric panel....??...

Last edited:
Obviously a fuel cell tank and moving the electrics out of the wing root are good ideas, but I've considered an accelerometer driven device as an add-on to the contactor back by the battery that would disconnect the main buss in a g-force 'event' and maybe provide a contact to fire airbags or fire extinguishers....????....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe also a foam/epoxy fiberglass sandwich on the inside of the butt rib to keep gasoline on the outside of the cabin and insulate the tank metal from the electric panel....??...

Right. Your plane doesn't even have the wings on! You don't have to worry about accelerometers if the Cub is just parked in the hangar...
:)

We made full scale cardboard models and shipped them to Fuel Safe in big crates and they would make the custom bags. I built huge boxes out of honey comb that we installed these fuel cells in for a Lockheed Electra to re-enact Amelia Earhart's flight.

I always liked the placard I saw installed on the middle of the inst panel, right in front of the pilots face that said" DON'T DO ANYTHING STUPID".....

I always liked the placard I saw installed on the middle of the inst panel, right in front of the pilots face that said" DON'T DO ANYTHING STUPID".....

Here you go!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1319048005.752948.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1319048005.752948.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 487
DW,

Were you able to get out of the airplane on your own? Were you able to think clearly throughout the incident, or did it happen too fast? I am not trying to put you on the spot at all, but I am trying to understand what a person's chances are of escaping a fire in a similar situation. From the photo, it looks like it would have been very difficult to crawl out of the wreckage, particularly with any injuries.

Fire in airplanes terrify me.

Ed

One thing to think about is that fuel tanks usually explode as a result of rapid fuel compression. I found this in the model airplane world. Strong tanks allow the fuel to be contained and compress. Thankfully we fly slow airplanes so much less energy in a crash. 1/4 the energy of that indy car crash.

DW,

Really sorry to see your airplane like this, but very glad to know you and your passenger are fine.

Joy

DW,

Really sorry to see your airplane like this, but very glad to know you and your passenger are fine.

Joy

Joy,, thats not quite the real story,, but see'unz you are blindly in love and are no longer living on this planet,,,, your story will suffice.... oh,, the passenger is fine.....:love:

Joy,, thats not quite the real story,, but see'unz you are blindly in love and are no longer living on this planet,,,, your story will suffice.... oh,, the passenger is fine.....:love:

SteveE,,, I could have guessed the next comment would be from you. Perhaps there are some Red Herrings in this posting. Yes, I am still in Love, hopefully, not blindly though.

You say the passenger is fine, and I am hoping the pilot is well too.

Very busy and short summer here in AK., so I have not been on sc.org for several months.:oops:

Thanks OLDCROWE, Now that summer is gone things have slowed down up here in AK, so I have time for my computer again, and mostly my Favorite website. SC.org of course.

Thank You

I am Greg the back seat passenger and owner of the Crashed plane along with two other partner owners. I wish to thank all those who came to my aid, as well as all of my supercub friends who came well wishing afterward. Sorry, It has taken so long... I am toying with how I can afford to get back in the air. I will be back at some point. Until then fly safe and God bless you all. Appreciate your friendships. Greg

Greg, You are a great guy and with your passion for aviation I am sure you will be back at it soon. Rick :p

Thank You Rick, I will not speak of this again. I look at planes all day long. I am a person who wants to live. I love everything about aviation. I love the flying, the people, the planning, it's a way of life. When I would go flying, the flying was so great and heart filling, but the greatest part was that the flying just kept on going. I just relived that flying over and over for a while. With a plane I would just refill the joy when it started to fade. I miss it, need that back. I thank my God for the five great years I have had. I thank my amazing wife Kimmie and my two great kids. I thank all of the Amazing fiends in the Supercub family. When I hooked up with you guys and gals I really did it right. See you in the sky. Greg

F. Atlee Dodge 30.5 gallon wing tanks are installed in my Cub and it would be helpful to know how your aircraft impacted the ground and at what speed.
A friend of mine said he was sorry he had his fuselage X-braced between the wing attach fittings because it would preclude a method of egress if he ever wrecked. After seeing the pictures I have greater appreciation of this wisdom. Thank you!

I don't think the "X" brace is going to keep you from getting out of the airplane. If you hit a wing it tends to compress the rear spar carry-thru and make a smaller opening. I saw a wrecked fuselage that caught fire and the pilot egressed between the "V" tubes at the windshield. The above airplane was in a stall spin accident where it hit one wing low from what i remember.

Mitmon...

Remember, you have to survive the impact before you worry about egress...

The top of the cabin can fold up on your head with a non x braced bird.

Play the percentage is my thought, my new frame has the x brace.

Mitmon62. The plane dumped hard right. It Stalled violently right back left then right again as I remember it. The plane hit right wing first. My friend up front had allot of left rudder mixed in at impact I can only assume as we were nose left. I remember looking through the front wind, side window and the door Jam at the grass coming at us. God and the right wing and bush wheel bush wheel broke our fall. I thing the wing started to fly right at the last instants, Seeing that the nose was pushed up not in. Supercubs are so strong. Shoulder Harnesses are a must for me now, dont thing we would have survived with out allot of the before mentioned. Hope this helps save somebodies life. Its always a good Idea to have God on board with you. Greg

I didn't see/can't tell by the pic if this Cub had VG's. ?? By the description of the stall I am guessing it did not.

My cub would roll off on a wing while stalled before I put the micro's on, it will still break with aggressive inputs but normally it is more of a mush.

Not 'Monday morning quarterbacking' but curious if the outcome may have been different esp. with the comment that the wing started to fly in the last instants. ??

Back