• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Coming up short

AlaskaCub

Palmer, Alaska
I frequently find myself coming up short on landings at our state airport. I will accidentally touch down on the gravel ramp before the threshold, stop as I touch pavement, and turn off on the normal entry taxiway. My wife thought it might not be a legal/approved maneuver. I'm trying to get better. Is this a problem?

Long as nobody complains.....
You might try to avoid nose-to-nose encounters on the turnoff or the taxiway which might lead to such complaints.

As long as the airport does not give you grief, you are ok. Just like landing on the grass beside the runway: at pilot's own risk- haha

Just be aware that there are runways out there with somewhat "abrupt" transitions to the approach end of the runway. What works at home may or may not be a great idea elsewhere.

MTV

Had an eye exam lately? Been there.. done that.. but I was normally long.

I remember years ago when a student of mine had just bought an old 172 and we went on a little X/C across ND and SD landing at every airport alternating landing and seeing who could land the shortest. We came in to Bismark and the tower operator cleared us to land and turn off at the first intersection. Of course we had to be smart asses and put it on the numbers and turn off at the end right in front of a waiting airplane. They weren't very happy with us !!

Just be aware that there are runways out there with somewhat "abrupt" transitions to the approach end of the runway. What works at home may or may not be a great idea elsewhere.

MTV

And there are some legal requirements to how much lip one can have at a paved public airport.they are leaving themselves open to a lawsuit if one does damage their plane landing short.

MTV

Haaa!!!
Broke the tails on my skis doin that !!! :)

I agree. A transition to a runway should be approached like any gravel bar, with caution and precision. A soft surface, lip or other obstacle could be difficult to appreciate without close inspection. While I wouldn't do this at a new-to-me runway, it is efficient at home, when the ground isn't soft.

Standard practice when trying to keep my highly prized BW's off the pavement, but when I'm familiar and know I'm not likely to get spanked.

I frequently find myself coming up short on landings at our state airport. I will accidentally touch down on the gravel ramp before the threshold, stop as I touch pavement, and turn off on the normal entry taxiway. My wife thought it might not be a legal/approved maneuver. I'm trying to get better. Is this a problem?

And there are some legal requirements to how much lip one can have at a paved public airport.they are leaving themselves open to a lawsuit if one does damage their plane landing short.
You mean, if you land short of a paved strip, causing damage from hitting a blunt edge, you can sue
the strip owner for that? You're kidding right?
Roddy

We often land on the grass at our public airport. Question; if we run into something in the grass
while taking off or landing, taxiing, like a ground hog hole, who's libial, the pilot or airport?
I'd say its us. The airport provides a nice paved strip and if we choose to use the infield, she's our baby if something doesn't work out there.
Roddy

We often land on the grass at our public airport. Question; if we run into something in the grass
while taking off or landing, taxiing, like a ground hog hole, who's libial, the pilot or airport?
I'd say its us. The airport provides a nice paved strip and if we choose to use the infield, she's our baby if something doesn't work out there.
Roddy

I'm sure there is an FAR, around some where, that some one claims prohibits common sense. Just stop before your tracked down and reprimanded.

Web

Roddy

I think this is why they say " land at your own risk "

Glenn

I think this is why they say " land at your own risk "

Glenn
Nope. No one says "land at your own risk" at our airport.
Theres no signs either. Doesn't matter much one way or the other, I was just
curious.
Roddy

You mean, if you land short of a paved strip, causing damage from hitting a blunt edge, you can sue
the strip owner for that? You're kidding right?
Roddy

You can be sued for anything at any time!

Winning is optional.

The last time I saw this, it was done very professionally. Mid 1960's, Reading Air Show, Falcon 100, runway 31, short landing demo, tore main gear right off that brand new puppy!:sad:

Friends tore the mainstream out of an anphib caravan with this maneuver. Got a new firewall too.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

On my initial CFI check ride the examiner chastised me for selecting the first centerline as my touchdown point. "Use the threshold. You'll never see anyone come up short! Do you think you can get close?" I laughed all the way down.

Rene

Back