• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Clipped Wing Sport Trainer

Stinson Pilot

North Bend, Wa
Hi, I've received the plans for the Wag Aero Sport Trainer. I also have the plans for the Clipped Wing & the North Land PA-18 drawings.
On Wags site, it says the plans include revised rib spacing for the Clipped Wing. On the Clipped plans, it only shows the revised angle on the fuselage strut fitting and the wing strut ends.
I contacted Wag about it, they don't know anything.
So I'm coming to the knowledge base. I've searched, but haven't haven't found any specifics on it.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Fifty or sixty years ago I had a Clipped Wing Cub. I was told that the wings were shortened 40” each side, and that was about it. Oh, and my mechanics added straps over the strut forks to beef that up. You could simply add a few ribs and space them as necessary to clear the drag wires and accommodate the ailerons. I recently built new wings for my EAB SC, and I slid the ribs this way and that to clear as much of the inside structure as I could.

If I recall, the Clipped Wings were basically shortened one bay on each side. There really isn't any info in the drawing I bought except for the two items I mentioned.

The guys that were doing aerobatics in Clipped winged Cubs doubled up the ribs because of the twisting of the spars during some maneuvers. Others made compression struts that supported the top and bottom of the spars to eliminate the twisting. I flew Vertigo which was built by Van White with boosted controls and a Lycoming O-320. It was an amazing machine that now resides in Missouri.

Attachments

• Vertigo.pdf
    735 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
I love the old school scallops! Almost forgot about them. I can see that on mine.
I had read about doubling up the ribs. I'll probably go that route

You need to get a copy of the Reed STC. It should give you some of what you need, if you are going wood spar. Since you are going EAB you might think about using metal spars

Last edited:
You need to get a copy of the Reed STC. It should give you some of what you need, if you are going wood spar. Since you are going EAB you might think about using metal spars
Any idea where to get the Reed plans?
I've done a few searches and haven't found them yet.

Any idea where to get the Reed plans?
I've done a few searches and haven't found them yet.
Here's 2 pages I sent to someone a long time ago, they are .pdf files. I have a copy "somewhere". If you build it, don't build the stupid door cut out like it shows. Raise the door hinge line 3/4" - 7/8" and will clear the struts. Door with cutout always breaks.

Attachments

• Reed1.pdf
    461.8 KB · Views: 37
  • Reed2.pdf
    461.8 KB · Views: 29
Thank you. That's a start. Looking forward to doing this. I'm retired, so hopefully I can rock and roll once I fire it up.

The guys that were doing aerobatics in Clipped winged Cubs doubled up the ribs because of the twisting of the spars during some maneuvers. Others made compression struts that supported the top and bottom of the spars to eliminate the twisting. I flew Vertigo which was built by Van White with boosted controls and a Lycoming O-320. It was an amazing machine that now resides in Missouri.
Steve, do you happen to have any pics of the servos on the ailerons?
I owned a Skybolt that had servos on the elevators and I liked the feel. Definitely made flying acro less work.

This was as I understand it Van's design but he was surrounded by some very talented aeronautical engineers. He built the Flying Plank that is at Antique Airplane Association headquarters and several other airplanes.
20160724_072007.jpg20160724_072017.jpg20160724_072029.jpg

He was pretty sharp, learned something from him every time I saw him. We recently lost him after 97 years. His EAA number was 155 and he said it was that high because he had to save the money to join. ;)

After much research on CWC's, I'm thinking serious about using the T-Craft 13012 airfoil. I saw that Eric from Bully Aero had Duane Coles CW T-Craft plans available, but the links are old and I haven't found anyplace that I can download them.
I've tried contacting Eric through The Biplane Forum and through Instagram at his site. I haven't had any luck over the past week.
Anyone know where I can download or any kind of availability for the plans?
I can get the ordinates for the airfoil and plot it, but I'd rather save the time with the plans.

Thanks again...

May I suggest looking at the 2412 (modified). It is actually a better fit for a CWC especially if you want to go inverted. I built the wing parts a few years ago for a guy that does airshows with his. It has since been sold and is somewhere in MO I think. I forget the N number but I could run it down. The 2412 ( actually 2413.5) has a better AOA due to the chord line and still uses stock attach points and would require no changes except root fairings and birdcage.

Here are some pics of the wing parts ........... https://www.southernaero.net/projects.html ............. scroll down to see CWC parts.

FWIW

Thanks Dale... I'll take a look at that as well. I'm trying to nail down my build plan and start cutting parts.
It was nice talking with you at Sun N Fun. I was the Stinson without the spinner.

Last edited:
Hi, I've received the plans for the Wag Aero Sport Trainer. I also have the plans for the Clipped Wing & the North Land PA-18 drawings.
On Wags site, it says the plans include revised rib spacing for the Clipped Wing. On the Clipped plans, it only shows the revised angle on the fuselage strut fitting and the wing strut ends.
So I'm coming to the knowledge base. I've searched, but haven't haven't found any specifics on it.
Thanks in advance.

Thanks in advance.
The Kelch Aviation museum in Brodhead WI is selling a Wag Aero Acro trainer with minimal ground loop damage if you want a project. I think it’s still on Barnstormers or you can call the museum.

Koontz Cub.jpeg
Yep, and being semi symmetrical It works a lot better for this application than the 23012. The T Craft was used in the early days as it was a fairly simple bolt on.......... spar centers were the same I guess but you would have to raise the front spar fittings for AOA. I don't have many pics of this one finished but I'll see if I can get a work-in-progress one in here. This wing also has oversized symmetrical ailerons, roll rate is about the same as a Super Decathlon. I wouldn't put these on a 75HP CWC..................... needs more power. I suggested a version with a SC type fuselage (for the wing attach points) to eliminate that extra 12" length in the front spars but we went with what he had. He also kept the rounded tip bows for looks.

Last edited:
Dale, decision made, 2412 plotted and about ready to build a jig.
I've been torn between using plywood ribs or stick built. I have access to a laser machine.
Leaning towards stick. I like the speed I can build the ply ribs.
IMG_20240417_082131566.jpg

Dale, decision made, 2412 plotted and about ready to build a jig.
I've been torn between using plywood ribs or stick built. I have access to a laser machine.
Leaning towards stick. I like the speed I can build the ply ribs.
View attachment 106128
Why wood? Are you going with wood spars? If plywood you can set up a table router with a pattern above or a hand router with pattern under. If you go Piper type metal spars and the T section rib caps you have increase to 13.5% for front spar clearance but you can increase the rear spar to 4 5/8

Wood spars. I like wood, but I don't have a problem with aluminum either. Almost 50 years in the big airplane world working on engine and major structures. Retired from the Navy aviation maintenance and 3 1/2 years ago, from The Boeing Company Flight Test and AOG. I'm also an A&P/IA.
Owned a Sonerai for a few years or so, a Steen Skybolt for 9 years and a Sorrell Hiperbipe the last 5 years. And my Stinson for 25 years.
If I go with ply ribs, my brother has a laser that will easily cut all the full size ribs. Faster and less mess than a router. Not to mention, we can probably knock out a set of ribs in a day. (or so)

Well, seems like I'm going to take a slight detour...
Got a little work to do, but I still plan on building a set of NACA 2412 wings and incorporating the SC birdcage once I'm ready to swap the wings. Other mods as well.
The plan is to repair this one and fly it for a year or two, then gut it and make it what I originally wanted.
Screenshot_20240423-174908~2.png

May I suggest looking at the 2412 (modified). It is actually a better fit for a CWC especially if you want to go inverted. I built the wing parts a few years ago for a guy that does airshows with his. It has since been sold and is somewhere in MO I think. I forget the N number but I could run it down. The 2412 ( actually 2413.5) has a better AOA due to the chord line and still uses stock attach points and would require no changes except root fairings and birdcage.

Here are some pics of the wing parts ........... https://www.southernaero.net/projects.html ............. scroll down to see CWC parts.

FWIW
Dale, since my plans have changed a bit, I'll have some time to build the 2412 wings. Did you build up the ribs yourself? If not, where did you source them?
Also, the front spar and probably the rear spar are a little taller than the 35B, where did you source the spars?
Thinking metal since I can fly the airplane once repaired till I'm ready to take it down for the new wings and other mods.

I built them from my "T" extrusions. I stock spars, struts, etc

Wayne
Wayne, my apologies. I thought I was talking with someone else this whole time.
I see you're in Newnan. I'm just down the road from you in Pine Mountain.
I have a Stinson 108-2. I've had it for 25 years and Southern Aero in NC is a big supplier for our Franklin engines.

Back