• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Cessna 180 wheel stations

Pennsylvania
Does anyone know what the fuselage station (arm) is for the main wheel and tail wheel on a 1955 Cessna 180. Called Cessna but they say they don't know!
Weighed my aircraft after installing Selkirk interior and Atlee Dodge seats. 1700 lbs which is a little dissappointing. I also subsituted carpet with Loncoin flooring which is quite heavy but looks great!

Easy enough to measure when the airplane is in the level position per TCDS, with plumb-bob tapemeasure and string or straight-edge. You should measure anyway just in case it's not quite per factory figures, or in case previous W&B sheets got it wrong. Seen both of those situations with my airplanes and others.

I can get it for a 53 180. The original equipment list had the stations. I do remember the tail wheel was 232" from the main wheels. I just weighed my friends. The last w&b was 1620 empty. They had the empty cg all screwed up, somewhere around 55" now the plane weighs 1727 and 36" cg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cessna kicked the mains forward about 3" in 1955 with different gear legs. So that 53 model may be different from the 55. I checked the TCDS but unlike some other TCDS's (C170 for example) it doesn't list options for the MLG wheels / brakes or tailwheel showing the arm & weight.
FWIW in my experience the W&B data is screwed up abot as often as not on older airplanes, esp when there's been much removing / replacing of stuff with calculated W&B revisions. The A&P I bught my rebuilt airplane from weighed it for a fresh W&B-- he got the mains rights, but screwed up the tailwheel arm by one inch. Probably "burned an inch" on his tape when measuring then forgot to subtract it.

Confirmed on the 53-55 differences. Plumb bob in hand off to the hangar to level and measure. Will post results.

ba6yqy3a.jpg

abe3etep.jpg

ma8u9eha.jpg

Here are the originals from the 53 I just weighed.

This airplane is a few serial numbers later than mine and weighed 2#s more from the factory. What a blast it must have been at that weight and CG!

Only thing that does not make a whole lot of sense is that the TCDS for the 180 model shows seats at 36" which I can confirm is accurate as measured from firewall, the W&B sheet posted (as well as my Owner Manual) shows 12.2" Any ideas?

Anyway.... in spite of having removed a whole lot of mouse poop and replaced the rear bench with Atlee Dodge seats, still pretty heavy. Selkirk interior, insulation and rubber flooring maybe?:-(
TCDS.jpg
Weights.jpg

Attachments

• Weights.jpg
    Weights.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 153
  • TCDS.jpg
    TCDS.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 245
BTW...does anyone have a Flight Manual for an early 180? TCDS refers to one as does the Owners Manual (Operating Handbook) so I assume there is one????

BTW...does anyone have a Flight Manual for an early 180? TCDS refers to one as does the Owners Manual (Operating Handbook) so I assume there is one????

I ordered one for my 55, it wasn't worth what I paid for it :x The early owners manuals left a lot to be desired. If I can find it I will dig it out and scan it for you.

I have 2 versions of TCDS on my iPad. One is the current one that you can download from the FAA and an old revision 34 that is not longer current. ( I found this under the revision history on the FAA website.

The older non current TCDS seems to have more info geared to the older 180's (like my 55)

I just looked at the old TCDS Under the "specifications pertinent to all models".

Landing gear +22
Tailwheel +260

Hope this helps

Dave

Only thing that does not make a whole lot of sense is that the TCDS for the 180 model shows seats at 36" which I can confirm is accurate as measured from firewall, the W&B sheet posted (as well as my Owner Manual) shows 12.2" Any ideas? .....

36" is correct arm for front seats. That 12.2 is the moment/1000 for two 170# people at station 36:
340 x 36 = 12,240 / 1,000 = 12.24.
Cessna has always addressed the W&B calcs for the pilot like this, very confusing. Or they want you to use some graph to determine the moment for pilots, pax,fuel,gear...
Much easier IMHO to do the math (weight x arm = moment) for everything, total up the moment and divide by the total weightto get the CG.

I ordered one for my 55, it wasn't worth what I paid for it :x The early owners manuals left a lot to be desired. If I can find it I will dig it out and scan it for you.
I disagree, the owners manual for the 53 skywagon I bought recently has a lot of good stuff in it. Even has good nstructions on how to rig the cowl flaps, which came in handy as one was out of rig when I bought the airplane.

Last edited:
Pay a few bucks and download the Aviation Weight and Balance app. Build the templates for your plane based on your best/most accurate W&B. Build more than one template to fit different gear configurations if that applies. It's an excellent app and one of my favorite tools for exploring loads, balance, and flight characteristics.

I have one. PM me your mailing address & I'll send you a copy of the scaled-up copy I made for myself. Or I can try scanning the original for you with my new scanner (warning- I am computer-challenged).

Back