• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Cessna 150/150 taildragger - what are you guys doing for gear legs??

DougRonan

Brechin, Ontario (50 miles N. of Toronto)
Morning - we have Cessna 150/150 taildragger in Ontario, Canada - I think its the "Texas Tailwheel" conversion - the one with the tail spring bolted to the outside of the bottom of the fuse at the back. Its a 69 so it has the original flat gear just moved forward. It is really low to the ground and we would like to get it higher - I see lots in Alaska with really tail gear. How are you guys doing that - are they different gear legs or what?? Where can we get them or what the deal?? Thanks in advance for any help!!

I used to own a C150TD with the "texas taildragger" conversion, STC SA2846SW.
That STC has been owned by a number of different outfits, currently DelAir holds it.

Dynamic Regulatory System (faa.gov)

The ads back in the day made reference to special gear legs, I dunno if they were longer than stock,
or maybe just stock (leaf spring) gear legs that had been re-arched.
Pretty sure that's the gear that was on mine.
I've also heard of people installing C170 gear legs,
dunno if that's a urban legend or for real.
But maybe worth looking into.
There's a guy in Kenai AK, Mike Sibley, who has a lot of experience with these airplanes.
You might try getting ahold of him.

Almanac: Engineering takes flight — Sibley’s Cessna modification makes plane Bush sense | The Mouth of The Kenai (wordpress.com)

I used to own a C150TD with the "texas taildragger" conversion, STC SA2846SW.
That STC has been owned by a number of different outfits, currently DelAir holds it.

Dynamic Regulatory System (faa.gov)

The ads back in the day made reference to special gear legs, I dunno if they were longer than stock,
or maybe just stock (leaf spring) gear legs that had been re-arched.
Pretty sure that's the gear that was on mine.
I've also heard of people installing C170 gear legs,
dunno if that's a urban legend or for real.
But maybe worth looking into.
There's a guy in Kenai AK, Mike Sibley, who has a lot of experience with these airplanes.
You might try getting ahold of him.

Almanac: Engineering takes flight — Sibley’s Cessna modification makes plane Bush sense | The Mouth of The Kenai (wordpress.com)

Thanks for the info - any idea about how to find Mike Sibley's contact info - I left a message for him yesterday but not sure if it the right number - anyone have contact for him??

Back