• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

C180J engine upgrade

Thanks for all of the advice everyone! Just for everyone’s benefit, I have found that the prices on the various options have nearly reached equilibrium across the board. Literally just a few dollars difference between 0 time reman from TCM, Ly-Con is right in there with all the bells that they preform under the North Point STC, and the other contenders would be glad to build you something if they can find a case. To answer a few questions, I already have the heavy hartzell prop c3yf-1st/f8068 and heavy mount, so that makes the build of added weight already on the front. Air Plains likes the new composite hartzell that I would like to avoid purchasing if I go that route. They are concerned that the prop I have may generate an unwanted harmonic. They tried it in the past, and left it on the sideline for that reason. My prop stc does allow for use on a IO550 on a 185, but not listed for 180. Perhaps good candidate for field approval there. More concerned that if I went that added route, old prop may be problematic. Additional cost is 22k for added parts needed for fuel system and 120 hours or more to install. Stc through North Point via Ly-con is same money as new TCM 550 without the Fuel injection add on. It would be nice to have more power to get out of some places in Idaho that I hit annually or every other year. Plane has kenmore gW increase. Dick Williams, when I asked him, he knows my plane, says 550 without hesitation. Doug Morrow at Beegles very nicely steers me toward pponk stc. Thanks again to all, much appreciated. Pete

Given what good Wagons are fetching these days I’d consider a tailwheel conversion, too. A few years ago a friend was selling his exceptional low-time 185 with an almost new IO-550 for $169K. I should have bought it. It’d go for twice that today with little effort. The current Skywagon market is nuts.

Aren’t converted 182s still insured at 182 rates? That would be a savings worth factoring in.

When you say converted, are you discussing tailwheel conversions or engine conversions? If tailwheel, I have a T/W converted 175, insured through AVEMCO. When I called them on this I told them it’s t/w converted, and asked if that made a difference. Oh yeah, they said. Don’t declare something like that, and you might get a rude surprise if you had a claim. But, a T/W converted early 182 is still a 182.

MTV

When you say converted, are you discussing tailwheel conversions or engine conversions? If tailwheel, I have a T/W converted 175, insured through AVEMCO. When I called them on this I told them it’s t/w converted, and asked if that made a difference. Oh yeah, they said. Don’t declare something like that, and you might get a rude surprise if you had a claim. But, a T/W converted early 182 is still a 182.

MTV

I'm guessing Stewart is referring to converting my 182 to tailwheel. Why would Avemco say it affects rates for a 175 but not if it's a 182 that's converted? If I can continue to insure as a 182 that is a big plus.

My insurance reps have never asked about modifications for any plane I’ve insured. They do adjust rates based on wheels vs floats, but that’s the end of it. Why would anyone offer information not requested?

Back