• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Bushwheels n cactus

tophand

Northwest South Dakota
I got some tires last fall 29' airstreaks and never got to the pasture with them. Most all the pastures have cactus in them how are these going to handle the cactus. Most of the 4 wheelers around here use use cactus juice to seal the holes. Not sure how that would work in a airplane tire. One guy I read about in Texas fills his Pickup tires full of propane and lights the leaking gas on fire. Melts the rubber and seals the leak.... I you see a big flash in the Western SD sky you know what happened..

Seriously though has anyone had any experience with BW and cactus and what to do.

thanks....Mike

ABW sells a compound that you pump into each tire. It is not green slime it is stuff used by the military so you could put a round through a tire. I saw in Utah last year where it was added to a tire that had a leak from a thorn going through the tire and sealed it up.
Go on the Bushwheel site and order some or call up to Nicole.
John

MIke

Like John said a ABW has the sealant that will work for your tires. When I put mine on I put some in each tire and have not had any problems with our western SD cactus.

Lloyd

A question for those who've used this stuff: Does it have any noticeable effect on the balance of the tires?

MTV

I cant tell a thing Mike,, I put in the required amount and taxied around a little then took off.. Spins it everywhere inside I guess.. anyway after I take off the tires eventually quit spinning and they never stop the same place. In other words it does not seem to have a heavy spot.

I think once you put it in spinning the tire would be a must. Eaton is a little off balance to start with.

I don't think you could tell if it WAS off balance. I've had mud, cow $hit and other stuff stuck on mine and never noticed anything. You only go 40 at the most for a couple seconds in our airplanes.

No, no, dw. I spun the plane. Slung that goop everywhere. :) Fixed a leak in my skis too. Old Indian trick.

Mobile SteveE, Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteveE... that was actually a good post about dodging cactus. Sometimes out here depending on the hay patch when you're done cutting hay there is a green carpet of cactus a half inch tall. The tractor tires have cactus pieces suck everywhere between the lugs. The best is chasing a cow horseback and he kicks a chunk of cactus up under his.....uhh....tail it gets real western real fast. Gotta love it.

........Mike

Gonna call ABW Monday to get the info. Thanks

Last edited:
Stuck a mesquite thorn in Lance's Bushwheel here a couple of years ago. Added this from AK Bushweel and he wore them out before it leaked again.
notubes_1.jpg

Attachments

• notubes_1.jpg
    notubes_1.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 175
Stans tubeless it's used to convert mountain bike tires to Tubeless.
http://www.notubes.com/
You can get it at any decent bike shop nationwide or ABW make sure the tire is compleatly seated on the rim. I'd jackup the plane so you can spin the tires. Put lots of air pressure in the tire so it forces
it out through all the little holes, spin the tire slowly and whack it with a rubber mallet. Let the stuff work sometimes it takes 24 hours to seal a tire, if the pressure drops just reinflate it means it hasn't
gotten all the holes yet. The sealant will pool at the bottom of the tire so spin the tire to redistibute. I've never done a Bushwheel but I've done hundreds of mountainbike tires. Ask ABW how much to use I
have no idea.Also if you go on the website above there are a number of instuction videos.

I don't think you could tell if it WAS off balance. I've had mud, cow $hit and other stuff stuck on mine and never noticed anything. You only go 40 at the most for a couple seconds in our airplanes.

I was envisioning a taxi and takeoff on big tires after the airplane was parked at -40. Cuhlump, cuhlump, cuhlump......

This might be a good insurance policy.

MTV

I got some of that compound at New Holstein two years ago, my tires would leek down every month. After I put 2oz of it in each tire haven't had to air them up sence. Haven't noticed them being out of balance on the ground but I don't land on a smooth surface. Once I get in the air I touch the brake to stop them, they always have been a little out of balance once in the air. Great stuff would recommend it.

So... Has anybody put this stuff in their tires as a preventative before they get a puncture or leak? I do run across the occasional thorn, but have been lucky so far and haven't sprung any leaks with the 31" radials. What amount would you put in each tire?

Well......I'm fixin to find out. Go to the website mentioned above. The guy in the movie abuses the heck out of a tire with an Icepick and it still holds air. It's gotta at least help. and......I've wasted more money than this stuff costs on beer rental. As long as ABW is good with it, I'll use it. I'll let you know how much they say to use.
......Mike

I was envisioning a taxi and takeoff on big tires after the airplane was parked at -40. Cuhlump, cuhlump, cuhlump......

This might be a good insurance policy.

MTV
j

You have been south too long... at 40 below you better have a long wide flat spot, with cables and springs attached:p

So... Has anybody put this stuff in their tires as a preventative before they get a puncture or leak? I do run across the occasional thorn, but have been lucky so far and haven't sprung any leaks with the 31" radials. What amount would you put in each tire?

Mike, yes I did. I had one of my new 31" keep leaking a couple of pounds a week. For second season I put the Stans in both tires, they hold pressure wonderfully now.

I have had it in there for three years now. I flew the plane when it was below freezing, no clump clump clump. Never notice anything other than they hold air perfectly now.

Mike, yes I did. I had one of my new 31" keep leaking a couple of pounds a week. For second season I put the Stans in both tires, they hold pressure wonderfully now.

I have had it in there for three years now. I flew the plane when it was below freezing, no clump clump clump. Never notice anything other than they hold air perfectly now.

Sounds good Mike, do you remember how much you put in each tire?

I would go with what ever BushWheels recomends alright. Just curious, I have heard that every 50 hours the 31" Bush Wheels need to be taken off the rims and turned around on the rim for better wear ? Probably true, and I would also guess the tire sealent would not cause the tire to come off with alot of trouble. Any input on this ?

Bill

Bill,

Bushwheels are tubeless, so anything you put in the tire, in theory, should not touch the rim...

Guess I forgot to rotate my tires....

Not trying to be a pain, but how big is the syringe. It would take 2 60cc syringe fulls to make 4oz more or less

Not trying to be a pain, but how big is the syringe. It would take 2 60cc syringe fulls to make 4oz more or less[/QUOTE
Go to the accessories page on the NoTubes website they sell a squeeze bottle for 2$ they also sell a syringe for 10$ but its worthless in my opinion. I've used the squeeze bottle to fix Atv tires on the trail works good, should work on any schrader valve tube or tire. Buy
2 or 3 of them while your at it that way you can take some with you in the plane.

Last edited:
Hey guys sorry to chime in so late on this, Like Steve said 4 to 6 oz per tire and you will be in great shape. It is ammonia based so no freezing issues unless you see temps consistently beyond -80. This stuff works great and we have been using it for several years with no ill effects...

I added Slime to my 29s before ATR offered a sealant. I needed to do something. I had the slow bleed down that lots of guys had. What was that? 7 or 8 years ago? I've never needed to add air since. Hard to complain about that.

SB

Here's a question for you southern flyers. I just bought a truck in Texas and it rolled out with green valve caps on the tires. The dealer was pretty pleased with himself for changing them to black ones so I asked what the green ones were. I'd never seen them. He said the tires were filled with nitrogen so the tire pressure remained more stable during temperature fluctuations. We don't do that in Alaska. Is that something any of you do with airplane tires? Going from a cool hangar out into 100* temps and blazing sun must have some impact on aircraft tires, too.

SB

Back