• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

185 vortex generators

I believe they were for his EXP Cub. Few Cessna's can fly that slow. A good file and even Cubs can have 4 notch flaps. Gary

Jerry has owned that cub for about a hundred years (exaggeration, but since 1972 anyways),
and done a shitload of stol mods on it.
If it has 4 notches of flaps, at who knows what degree of deployment, that wouldn't surprise me at all.
He was winning the alaska stol contests in his "white Hawk" when it was still being held on the beach.
I believe he worked a lot with Charlie White when Micro Aero developing vg kits for cubs.

Micros on some Cessna's also employ them on the vertical stabilizer in front of the rudder. Given that yaw control can be demonstrated to be lacking at times, why not for all applications? Somewhere in the stall sequence the wing and elevator can loose authority, Why not the rudder as well? A dead of winter thought.

They do. From the Micro Aero website:

Cessna-180-185.jpg

Attachments

• Cessna-180-185.jpg
    Cessna-180-185.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 19
....My 180 VG experience was with the Sportsman Kit (increases the chord) with Micros (applied with standard chord template). That particular combination should never have been allowed. On that aircraft I added ten mph to the approach speed, as compared to the stock wing with Cessna cuff.....

Whoever owns that 180 should get ahold of Micro Aero and ask about VG placement with the sportsman cuff.
There's been a lot of these installations done, and I'm guessing the VG's would be placed farther forward on the wing.
They sell a "re-paint kit" with a bunch of VG's, and would probably give him a different placement template
if he can document that their STC had been purchased for that particular airplane.

........I put Micro VGs on the wings and tail feathers of my 180K stock Cessna camberlift wing.......

I'm curious as to what year Cessna started with the "camber lift" or "camber cuff" wing leading edge?
The "year model changes" article says in 1970 "conical camber wing tip decreases wing span 4 inches" for both the 180 & 185.
I assume that's also when the leading edge was changed?

I'm curious as to what year Cessna started with the "camber lift" or "camber cuff" wing leading edge?
The "year model changes" article says in 1970 "conical camber wing tip decreases wing span 4 inches" for both the 180 & 185.
I assume that's also when the leading edge was changed?

I think it was 1973

Thanks.
I took another look at the article, yep:

1973 1) "camber lift" wing with bonded leading edge....

for both the 180 & 185.

An experienced ex-military and civilian commercial pilot mentioned that with the Cessna factory cuff it would lift off without consciously adding more elevator. Or something like that (50 years ago comment). Just start elevating tail low before the original wing. He flew both together so I assume he was right.

Gary

Interesting. Do the Wing X extensions not reduce roll rate on these airplanes?

MTV
They do not improve role rate, but much less so than the Robertson does.
With VG's and Wing X I get most of it back to have the extra performance and back to about standard aileron response.
The aircraft carries a gross load much easier, better altitude performance and climb -- cooler running engines.
It allows the aircraft to get up on the step as I call it and cruise at the same attitude on floats as it would with the same load on wheels at the higher speed.
By the way the 4 inch reduction on wingspan on the 73 camberlift wing was the tips they are a couple inches shorter each side. I have one of each and a hangar thats tight so I get to see it every time I bring in the B model.

Sportsman's tips add aspect ratio to the wings via a trailing edge extension. The rear wing's length has significance for lift.

Gary

Back