• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Cherokee oil cooler hosed.

S2D

Montana
I'm a little ( ok, a lot) vague on Tso's
Do the oil cooler hosed required by the AD have to be factory manufactured with a Tso' tag to meet the requirements of the AD, Or can in shop hoses be assembled.
( They require Tso C53a type C or D)

Thanks.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

My take is it's all in the construction. If one has the proper tools to assemble the specified tso'd hose and fittings and assemble the firesleeve as per the AD, good to go. In my case I can assemble the hose and fittings but I don't have and don't intend to buy the tools to properly secure the firesleeve to the hose so I gotta buy premade.

The AD (AD2017-14-04) requires TSO-C53a type C (requires replacement intervals) or TSO-C53a type D (no replacement intervals) to be installed to comply. You have to have permission to manufacture and mark anything as TSO'd. It's the hose assembly here, not just the components.

Web

This is the sheet on this TSO. It specifically calls out 'hose assemblies'.

Web

Attachments

• C53a.pdf
    443.8 KB · Views: 464
The more I read that AD, the confuser I get. At one point it appears to say that all hoses have to be replaced with type C or D hoses but in the comments section it says other type hoses aren't affected by this AD.
What am I missing.

My take is it's all in the construction. If one has the proper tools to assemble the specified tso'd hose and fittings and assemble the firesleeve as per the AD, good to go. In my case I can assemble the hose and fittings but I don't have and don't intend to buy the tools to properly secure the firesleeve to the hose so I gotta buy premade.

You use a tool for cv joint boots on a car. $10 at Napa. To put fire sleeve retainers on. If that’s the metal style? Pictures??

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

I’d make new hose myself if i have the right tools

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

I'd normally agree with that. But the AD specifically calls out TSO'd hose assemblies, which we can't fabricate in the field. So I'd have to recommend using TSO tagged hoses here.

Web

The more I read that AD, the confuser I get. At one point it appears to say that all hoses have to be replaced with type C or D hoses but in the comments section it says other type hoses aren't affected by this AD.
What am I missing.

Forget about anything prior to page 6. It's just noise. The legal stuff starts on page 6 and goes on from there. You need to figure out if your cooler is mounted for or aft of the rear of the engine. Then follow the applicable instructions. Looks like for coolers aft of the rear of the engine, just inspections are required until hoses are replaced with the Type D hoses. If the cooler is mounted anywhere OTHER than aft, the inspections are required plus some routing and security instructions need to be followed.

Web

I'd normally agree with that. But the AD specifically calls out TSO'd hose assemblies, which we can't fabricate in the field. So I'd have to recommend using TSO tagged hoses here.

Web

no, it calls out a hose made TO that standard.... it's just about old hard rubber part of the hose... not asking to inspect the fittings for cracks or such... still would love someone to post a picture of the hose in question... I'm just assuming an Aeroquip with reusable ends, under a fire sleeve..???

I'm looking at a Cherokee with stratoflex 111-8 hose dated 2Q 13 and no firesleeve. Cooler is mounted in front.

Curious if the AD being referenced requires fire-sleeved hoses?
People seem to be getting carried away with fire-sleeving lately--
not long ago, I saw a C180 that had fire-sleeved brake lines.
Seemed like overkill to me.
firesleeved brake lines.jpg

Attachments

• firesleeved brake lines.jpg
    firesleeved brake lines.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 130
That's pretty bad when you need fire sleeve on the brake hoses. That's what I call "landing hot"....

Are fire-sleeved lines actually required for oil and fuel in the engine compartment?
My C150/150TD had fire-sleeved fuel lines,
but my other 3 planes (including the current one) did not.

Some STC's require fire sleeve on lines. Most of the fuel flow indicators require fire sleeve over the fuel lines in the section that the flow transducer is installed. Except for turbine engine installations I've seen very few manufacturer's requirements for sleeving.

Web

Back