• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Plans for wood wings?

Any of the Wag Aero plans show wood wings. I’m building a 2+2 with wood wings right now.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

I’m building aluminum wings for my SC clone right now. I have a box of steel hardware for wood wings if you are interested.

I’m building aluminum wings for my SC clone right now. I have a box of steel hardware for wood wings if you are interested.

I'm still interested. My original plan was to fly over there and look at your goodies. These days, though, I can rarely get more than 3 hours away from home.

Great! When I looked at their website I don't see that stated anywhere. I will give them a call.

The plans specify a wood wing, but I don't think they stock wood wing materials anymore. I ended up getting spruce spars from Aircraft Spruce after a long wait.

Wag no longer carries lift strut fittings for wood, either. They will likely try to talk you into aluminum wings.

Does anyone build experimental category cubs with wood wings?
Are plans for wood wings available?
Thanks!
I have a set of wood wings for my 2+2. I modified the wings to use stock Super Cub hardware for flaps, and changed the tank bay to use a shear plate rather than the cross brace through the tank. I also added the stock wood wing tip bow; I like the original look. I did drawings with measurements in CAD for the wing layout, flaps and ailerons (all wood). Essentially, I have a Super Cub wood wing. Most everything is on my website, marty2plus2.com My wings are ready to cover, should be starting the covering in the next month or so.

Marty57

IMG_5301.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5301.jpg
    IMG_5301.jpg
    229.6 KB · Views: 170
Marty,
Thanks for this pic and for the link to your builder's log website. I've just started looking through it. This will be very helpful in numerous ways.
I love the frank discussion of the challenges you've faced, and the solutions you've devised.
You do nice work!
Mike

Wag Aero wood wings

I have a set of Wag aero I took off a Wag Aero CUB With ailerions. Also interior , formers, baggage , Ect

Frank Roy 207-299-6911

good morning
I have drawings and build videos for the wood wings +wag wood spars, set of built ribs, built ailerons, compression tube material, some new drag wires/nipples, wing tip bows and strut material
pm me if you are interested for details
thanks
rich

Last edited:
A question for everyone building wood wings from the Wag Aero plans: I've heard there's a difference in the airfoil between a Wag Aero sport trainer and a Piper wing. Anyone know what the exact differences are or how it affects performance?

A question for everyone building wood wings from the Wag Aero plans: I've heard there's a difference in the airfoil between a Wag Aero sport trainer and a Piper wing. Anyone know what the exact differences are or how it affects performance?

There is a difference: the leading edge is somewhat rounder. All other dimensions are pretty much the same. I don’t know of performance differences. Others say the Wag wings fly fine, maybe slightly gentler stall, but it’s not quantified.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

IMG_5096.JPG

Here is a depiction of the difference. The blue ink curve is the Wag upper leading edge curve.

The pencil curve is from Piper’s specs. Everything else matches within a millimeter.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Attachments

• IMG_5096.JPG
    IMG_5096.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 103
That's great, thanks for the info. Guess I'll just go off the Wag plans then since it doesn't seem like that would affect performance much vs going with a Piper airfoil.

I fly a Wag wood wing and can verify the more-round profile of the leading edge.

My finely tuned rear end can not discern much of a difference to a J3 wing, but my Wag-11 is fat and goofy which limits an apples-to-apples comparison.

Edit: I forgot to add I love how my Wag wing flies too, so don't fear the profile difference.

My Ex 11 has wood ribs, except in tank bays and by strut attach areas which are actual Piper ribs. I also have aluminum Piper Spars

Dumb question…the Wag Aero Sport Trainer plans say 1/4” spruce capstrip for the ribs… does that means 1/4”x1/4”?

Back