• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

North East camping / fishing

Poor Joe has a great idea about the "U" Why don't you " live free or die " New Hampshire boy get the RAF to work on keeping this open. SJ your 180 needs to discover the magic of this place, don't you have some pull?

Glenn

Does the magic have anything to do with the college students? Ha

I sent an e mail yesterday to the administrator of the second College Grant requesting use. The U strip is actually surrounded by a 27,000 acre grant given to Dartmouth by the State of New Hampshire 200 years back. Glenn I keep being told that the RAF is a great organization but do not see where they have affected any change here in the Northeast. I know SJ is a firm believer but I have yet to plunk down a red cent until I see some benefit or ROI. I support this website as it gives back to me 10 fold.
John

Just reading through this thread, the date stamp on bing maps was incorrect the last time I had looked. I cleared some trees from my place in 2010, I just looked at bing maps and it had a stamp of 2012, the trees were still there. Just sayin.

Just reading through this thread, the date stamp on bing maps was incorrect the last time I had looked. I cleared some trees from my place in 2010, I just looked at bing maps and it had a stamp of 2012, the trees were still there. Just sayin.

I may be wrong on this but, I am under the impression that the Bing/Google Earth satellite views of Earth all come from one batch of photography taken by the space shuttle, the one time that it went on that photo mapping mission a few years ago. So you will not see any updated pictures.

Most of the northeast was redone in Sept of 2013. The previous imagery was terrible, the new resolution is great, at least in maine . We were harvesting potatoes the day they took the pix, you can see the toolbox in the back of the pickup. If you look close on the Miller Quinn pix,you can see bush hog mower tracks, I can't see a date stamp on the iPad version
i didn't know the shuttle did the pix,I thought it was done by sat

jim

Last edited:
Anybody in Maine wants to fly tomorrow, I'm headed to Moosehead Lake, the Birches in Rockwood on the west shore for cheeseburger

jim

Anybody in Maine wants to fly tomorrow, I'm headed to Moosehead Lake, the Birches in Rockwood on the west shore for cheeseburger

jim

Great place and they will have a fire ripping in the fireplace. Check out their new runway just west of them.

Glenn

Scouter I'd love to but have way too much ahead of me, I may get to fly this afternoon for a bit though. Jimmy R's plane is on skis now and we took it out for a flight on Friday, if I have time I'll see if he is up to going this afternoon. Hope you get some good flying in today. Planning to fly with Jimmy during my week off (week after next) so let me know if you're available that week and maybe we can meet for lunch.

I sent an e mail yesterday to the administrator of the second College Grant requesting use. The U strip is actually surrounded by a 27,000 acre grant given to Dartmouth by the State of New Hampshire 200 years back. Glenn I keep being told that the RAF is a great organization but do not see where they have affected any change here in the Northeast. I know SJ is a firm believer but I have yet to plunk down a red cent until I see some benefit or ROI. I support this website as it gives back to me 10 fold.
John

Hey John,

The RAF called me last year (as a member) and asked what could be done in Ohio for recreational flying. They were also looking for state liaisons at the time. I think they are also opening up one of the islands in Michigan next summer as a new backcountry destination. Perhaps you should sign up and see if they will give you a hand with the "U" strip ;)

Back