• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Earth X batteries, ok or not?

Taked to Earth X today and they told me that the testing is finished on the 900 and the STC should be forthcoming in early 18. The new model is the exact same as the EXT900-VNT.[h=3][/h]

You fly a certified plane in cold weather, battery mounted in the back so pre-heat won't touch it, and plane is left outside for a few days at a time so gets cold soaked.

Years ago they just would have bootstrapped that old battery and got it warm enough to start

Glenn

If you are doing an annual on a plane and a guy has a non-approved battery, what do you do?
You tell the guy that tomorrow you are going to be inspecting the battery compartment and that you hope that the EarthX battery isn't there in the morning. :lol:

Kinda similar to the customer who, drops his plane at your place while you are gone to lunch. He needs an annual done, but, says "a buddy needed to borrow his prop", when you inquire why the prop is missing...

Kinda similar to the customer who, drops his plane at your place while you are gone to lunch. He needs an annual done, but, says "a buddy needed to borrow his prop", when you inquire why the prop is missing...

And then you would get an UnAirworthy annual with the missing prop being the discrepancy. Still would need an A&P to sign off a prop installation to complete the annual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Li-ion or Li-iron. I would be very careful about putting anything lithium in an airplane without a charging system and electrical cutouts specifically designed. Lithium fed fires cannot be put out with any extinguisher you might carry. Boeing's solution to their fires on the 787 was to create a two inch thick stainless steel battery case machined out of a single billet. The design criteria was to allow the battery to burn itself out completely without fire fighting action.
Be careful about the advice you put out. Did you know that there is a world of difference between Lithium_iron_phosphate (LiFePo) that EarthX uses and lithium cobalt oxide(LiCoO[SUB]2[/SUB]) that Boeing chose. Did you also know that good old lead acid batteries can also pose some very exciting fire hazards?

Tango,

I have a three/four year old EX, 36D ?, in my pacer under the seat in the original metal box. Skytech NL in line starter.

Yesterday night it dropped down to -9 so after my engine pre heat, four shots of the short primer, pull through four blades, I hop in the cockpit and turn on all the electrical (SOP for lith at these temps) to get the molecules in the battery warmed up for action.

I get half a rotation, stop wait a few seconds, another half a rotation, wait a bit more, and then it spins through and does its usual two cylinder pop pop cold start.

After a conversation with Lady at EX years ago about cold ops I've not worried about it and have had -30 nights where after about four or five tries the battery self warmed itself to function with vigor afterwords i.e.: under prime or flooded.

Before I had the Skytech starter and EX battery I would always hand prop the first start of every winter morning. It warmed up my internal battery too.

Having read that the real enemy of these lith batteries is heat I decided that mounting them on the fire wall was not prudent at this time. I could be wrong about how hot they'd can get safely. I like the it fully enclosed in the metal box too.

Lots of good discussion here and have mine installed under CAR 3 but this is my personal aircraft and would wait for a PMA'ed version before installing one in someone's aircraft. To be honest the EX people did this one right and every time I open my battery box for inspection I just smile: no corrosion, acid, etc, just torque check the fasteners and close her up.

Used to be I always had two or three of those little orange batteries dead on my charging bench but not the last couple years. It was always the hunting guides that came through the village in the fall but not anymore. Ether they figured out how not to smoke them or they have switched up ;)

Thinking there are a good hundred of tales here about acid. I've reskinned a few 100 series spam can bellies after a battery puked, ditto a couple 206 firewall and rudder pedal assemblies, oh ya one left beaver mag after the pilot hand propped and the 80/100 amp jasco "charged" it back up so fast it too boiled itself dry! Billable hours...

I believe there are technologies that will improve the both the safety of aviation and the quality of our experience that seem to be hamstrung by the approval processes. I also believe it is the legacy producers who are causing this.

Wishing the major prop manufactures could have made a Catto-esq one years ago.

Why on earth hasn't Gill got on board?

And when you shake your little snow ball of dreams, the flakes settle down some, notice your little yellow cub on skis in there is going to have an electric power plant...

Rocket

I have mine sitting on the bench and procrastinating as to where to mount it. Experimental of course.

Under the back seat utilising the yards of heavy cable already installed is not an option.

Cram it somewhere on the firewall and loose the lovely access to the rear of the engine and further restrict airflow? Also specs suggests it may be too hot in this position. Although I know of others in this position.

Between my rudder pedals? Easiest but specs advise not to mount in cockpit and also not minimising cable length? Is it not recommended because of fire or fumes? If it is fumes, I am not sure that would be a problem in a cub.

inside the right hand boot cowl which would nesitate cutting metal liner and fabricating a custom box and access door. A lot of work and still not minimising cable length.

As always, looking for opinions.

Goldy

Goldy...I mounted my EarthX 680C behind the firewall, beneath the boot-cowl. BackCountry SQ-2
battery_ETX680C.jpg

Attachments

• battery_ETX680C.jpg
    battery_ETX680C.jpg
    603.5 KB · Views: 240
Don't know about a Cub, but I found, to my surprise, I had some unused real estate between my rudder pedals on my experimental firewall, flat on the floorboards. All it took to secure there was 3 tiny, and light, little light gauge aluminum angles screwed into my wood floorboards. My parking brake valve body prevent it from going up, that and the stiffness of the cables, the light weight of the thing of course means you really don't need near as much structure as a securing a 10 or 15 pound battery. From my battery to my mechanical master is about 14", from there to the starter about 8", more weight savings.

I guess I missed the part about not mounting it in the cockpit, now that I know, I'll ignore it, just too many advantages having it there to pass up. I have two big doors I can open that I'm pretty sure would vent anything out if it somehow lite off!

I found it hard to believe at first it wouldn't be in the way there, so I first made a mockup out of cardboard and flew somewhere, after a 2 hour flight with many landings and playing around along the way, I realized I had forgotten all about the "test to see if it was in the way", obviously it wasn't, not even a little.

Duracell has a AGM sealed lead acid battery that I want to try in the cub. The new version has 220 CCA. I went in to Batteries plus to pick it up and chatted with the owner about batteries, especially lithium. He is really knowlegeble about all kinds of batteries. He said he would not sell me a lithium battery if it is going into an airplane, and then said heres why. Went out back and got this battery. Its a Shorai, which is a pretty big name in lithium. If you look close at the pix, you can see the bottom cells are swelled up and getting ready to burst. It popped the battery top off. His opinion is most lithium batteries are not ready for primetime yet. I dunno, sure was eye opening

shorai.JPG

Jim

Attachments

• shorai.JPG
    shorai.JPG
    147.2 KB · Views: 978
..Between my rudder pedals? Easiest but specs advise not to mount in cockpit and also not minimising cable length? Is it not recommended because of fire or fumes? If it is fumes, I am not sure that would be a problem in a cub....

hmmm, that's where we put it... hmmm

He is really knowlegeble about all kinds of batteries. He said he would not sell me a lithium battery if it is going into an airplane, and then said heres why. Went out back and got this battery. Its a Shorai, which is a pretty big name in lithium. If you look close at the pix, you can see the bottom cells are swelled up and getting ready to burst. It popped the battery top off. His opinion is most lithium batteries are not ready for primetime yet. I dunno, sure was eye opening
Jim

Unless he told you how it failed, what was done to it, and compared that to an EarthX, all he showed you was FUD. Most lithium batteries are NOT ready for primetime/aircraft use. They lack the Battery Management System and protection circuits that EarthX has. Without more details, he may have done a good job of selling how smart he was, but doesn't actually know what he is talking about. Shorai may be big, but they are not EarthX. There is a difference.

Shorai was/is a motorcycle battery, while it is a lithium-iron type battery, it has no internal cell monitoring (BMS). Shorai has a special charger that must be used. You could damage a single cell by overcharging. I don't believe their original battery had a shutdown to prevent complete discharge, which also caused problems. They built quality batteries though and really pioneered the process that highlighted what problems to expect. EarthX has taken these batteries to the next level though. Comparing Shorai to EarthX is apples to oranges.

We just started installing lithium iron batteries in Caravans! True Blue Power STC'd. (EarthX needs to get with the program). The first Caravan to get one has the Blackhawk P&W PT6A-140 (867SHP). The lithium spins the start Ng past 20%, the lead acid would get maybe 18%. The charge rate after start is noticeably higher for a short duration. The lithium weighs 32lbs less than the lead acid...

Why did you go with the TB battery? I looked at the numbers on the $14k battery and it seemed like it would be hard to beat the concord sealed lead acid long term on price. I usually get two years on a battery. The TB would have to last manny manny years to pay off. Do you see some other advantage other then the higher NG lower start temps? The 32lbs is attractive for the Pilatus but the caravan doesn’t need anymore aft CG then it already has at least on our company planes.

Well since it's new, who knows. The TB is supposed to have an eight year maintenance free life. The big engine weighs more, this battery weighs less and is forward of the firewall. We are running five of the -140s and they are all going to end up with this battery. Time will tell whether it is worth it. The big engine Caravan needs more aft.

Last edited:
The etx900-vnt has built in thermal containment as well as provisions for venting. If they do get it certified, it will be in my airplane the followimg week....

Goldy

In my experimental 12 I put my earth X under the pilot seat. Pretty simple install. I've had it there all last winter and no issues. I park indoors but not a heated hanger. Temps here in northern BC, -40 C today! Not flying today but we go out in -15 C lots. I always preheat engine compartment but the cockpit doesn't always get heated. Battery has been good, I've never had it go to default mode.

Heres a a pic of my install. Easy to get at, just remove the seat and easy to work on if needed. image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    50.9 KB · Views: 1,260
Besides my Earth X I also fly with sometimes as many of three batteries for my electric folding mountain bike. Like the X they are quality (Panasonic and Samsung cells only, no Chinese counterfeits please), and most importantly or at least as important, also a quality BMS. When you feel the energy of one of these bike batteries helping push you up a mountain (i was over 9K several times this year) it really gives you a direct physical sense of what they can do, really amazing tech for what they weigh and cost, and they are only getting better! BTW: I carry the bike batteries in a belly mounted all aluminum bomb shaped pod, either there or on the jury struts sometimes.

Stewartb, I appreciate your attempt on the other site. That other guy is an idiot.

I’ve run my EarthX “dead” once by leaving the master on. Hand propped with no issues but no charge coming out of the battery (self protection mode cut it off from inside the battery’s circuits). A quick tap to the terminals with a gpu battery was enough to flash the alternator field and start charging the battery again. That happened pretty soon after I got it, still no issues. The EarthX internal circuitry is what makes that particular brand safe.

Cranked yesterday morning at 32 deg F after having sat for the last month, no battery tender. I ran all the lights and radios off the battery for 15 seconds or so, then turned them all off and tried the start. Stalled on the first compression stroke, but the next attempt spun the engine through like summer time.

I love this battery.

Back