• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Pa 18 dash

iPad Mini w Targus rotatable mount (from Best Buy w covers removed)
Appareo ADS-B transponder w Stratus II mounted on top of Appareo behind panel blank
452a81f3fee77a487d68e6a1fe3492f0.jpg

ca6e0c93977b973eba7f8601632af7ff.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current panel upgrade in process...
The 275's wont fit as they just touch the cross bar.
Replacing with G5's as a result.
IMG_0435.jpg
IMG_0436.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0435.jpg
    IMG_0435.jpg
    295.3 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_0436.jpg
    IMG_0436.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:
A little off subject because it is a PA-11 panel. I like simpleIMG_0089.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0089.jpg
    IMG_0089.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 191
How do you like that SIRS compass? I put one in a 172 this year. Seemed like a nice unit.

Charlie, it doesn’t work worth a darn but that’s because of all of the metal that surrounds its, it’s only there for legal reasons. I imagine it would works great if it was in a different location though.

Charlie, it doesn’t work worth a darn but that’s because of all of the metal that surrounds its, it’s only there for legal reasons. I imagine it would works great if it was in a different location though.

No compass is going to point accurately, mounted right between two steel tubes. Move that SIRS compass up to the upper portion of the windshield, and it'll probably work fine. I've had two in that area, that both worked fine, one in a Cub, the other in a 170. Neither had stock compasses that worked anywhere near the panel.

MTV

Okay, I'm just going to throw this out there, folks. There are some interesting, and pretty nice looking panel designs in this thread.

One thing I'll add as a cautionary note, though:

If you mount ANYthing that protrudes from or above the instrument panel of a Cub, it could turn into a lethal instrument in an accident.

A good friend of mine was killed in a Super Cub many years ago. The proximate cause of death was a Garmin 90 that was embedded in his face. He had other injuries that likely would have killed him as well, but...... That Garmin 90 had been mounted on the left windshield post. The stall/spin ended in impact which threw him violently forward and left. The pilot was wearing seat belt and shoulder harness, but there's no way to know how tight they were. And, I'm not suggesting that he'd have survived if not for that GPS, but.....

A year ago, I was in a left turn lane in my Honda Ridgeline here in BZN, in line behind another car. I was hit from behind by a gent who drifted out of his lane, and impacted my car at about 50 mph.

My airbags did not fire....not sure why, but the only injuries I had were very sore ribs and hips from belts, and a very fat lower lip and left shoulder where I impacted the steering wheel. This apparently on impact with the car ahead.

My point is, your body becomes very fluid (your body is, in fact mostly fluids) and belts, even fairly tight ones, may not prevent your head and shoulders from coming quite a ways forward.

For that reason, I won't fly an airplane with "stuff" protruding from the instrument panel. Of course, your face may still come far enough forward so as to impact the instrument panel, but......why make it easier to impact installed equipment?

Please give this some thought when equipping your airplanes......GOOD shoulder harnesses and seat belts can save your life in an impact, but your body, in a severe impact, is going to move around a lot, belts or no.

MTV

A year ago, I was in a left turn lane in my Honda Ridgeline here in BZN, in line behind another car. I was hit from behind by a gent who drifted out of his lane, and impacted my car at about 50 mph.

My airbags did not fire....not sure why, but the only injuries I had were very sore ribs and hips from belts,

MTV

I think airbags need you traveling above a certain speed to arm....

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Like it, what is going where?

I think it’ll work nicely. Obviously the cgr30p on the left, then (L->R) IAS, aera660, AI, VSI. Below is com and txpdr (both tq). I wanted them pushed out to the side, but they’re too deep. TQ offers remote boxes with the shallow faces, which in hindsight would’ve worked according to the original plan. You see the gdl50 under and to the right, and hidden just above that is the stratus USB ports

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

You need to check deeper on the transponder. Pacific Coast website states that the TSO is pending. If correct, this is not legal for US operations.

Web

However their 6 1/4” panel mounted txpdr is apparently still pending STC.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

I don't care if you respect PCA or not. If the unit came with an FAA STC, then it's legal. If the TSO was still pending then it would not have been legal.

Web

But all the original instruments are made to match a black panel. Had this discussion in 1996 with a customer here with a light gray panel. Ugly to me but it was their plane. They won.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

I didn’t set it up this way, did move a few things but it works for me.

Attachments

• F597DBB7-A751-44E5-AFA2-088F755E7669.jpeg
    F597DBB7-A751-44E5-AFA2-088F755E7669.jpeg
    193.2 KB · Views: 275
.IMG_1995.jpg Keeping it simple, the finished article.

Attachments

• E5714F1D-23CE-4FF2-A093-A1BC346BCA9F.jpeg
    E5714F1D-23CE-4FF2-A093-A1BC346BCA9F.jpeg
    187.6 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_1995.jpg
    IMG_1995.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 479
Last edited:
bf817aea5f454b5ac124a7cbcd7e1579.jpg

White panel, works good for me.

Maybe it's the lighting, that panel looks more cream than white.
Maybe splitting hairs, but IMHO there's a big difference between cream and white (as in bone white).
My own airplane has a cream colored panel.
Wouldn'ta been my first choice (I like grey),
but it's OK.

Maybe it's the lighting, that panel looks more cream than white.
Maybe splitting hairs, but IMHO there's a big difference between cream and white (as in bone white).
My own airplane has a cream colored panel.
Wouldn'ta been my first choice (I like grey),
but it's OK.

It’s tough to tell in pictures (maybe because my skylight is tinted? Not sure why) but my panel is a very very light cream. Dang near white. My metal interior panels are snow white and there’s very little color difference.
674af100eddbb8539d8bd836ec4d1d69.jpg

I personally can’t stand airGizmo gps mounts- made this flush mount for a 660 recently- not a great pic but you get the idea...

Attachments

• 608AE2C5-13EE-4521-8DD3-FB408026D86B.jpg
    608AE2C5-13EE-4521-8DD3-FB408026D86B.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 268
  • 15CFCEDE-49F8-4874-9B30-092331CC10F4.jpg
    15CFCEDE-49F8-4874-9B30-092331CC10F4.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 219
Older picture, but I'm happy with this setup. Slim, trim, and more information available than I can process. Didn't have to cut the old panel except to make the switch/breaker module removable. Not seen are the Garmin GDL-52 for ADS-B in mounted upside down under the panel, GDL-82 for ADS-B out under the back seat, and Sandia STX-165 Mode C transponder under and set back from the panel on the left. Sometimes have an older iPhone on the right running Garmin Pilot. Pretty much everything talks to everything over bluetooth or serial connection. This is overkill in a little cub that usually doesn't go very far from home, but I like it.

IMG_8915.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_8915.jpg
    IMG_8915.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 1,409
Simple panel, the rest of the story. I always have the portable comm installed and sneak the iPhone using AHRS input in there when the weather is marginal. Reliable electrical system (none) and the starter is not what you would call lightweight. It weighs about 218 pounds.

IMG_0088.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0088.jpg
    IMG_0088.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 206
Back