• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Fried Radio

Hendoii

FRIEND
All,
In a stroke of genius I just inadvertently "let the smoke out" of my B/K KY-97A. Can anybody recommend a good (and affordable) radio shop that I could send it to for repair?

Thanks in advance.

As I recall an Icom A200 is plug and play into a KY97 tray and they are a $500 or less radio these days

Thanks. Is it cheaper to buy a new radio V.S. having a 97 repaired? I really like the radio. I accidentally arced the hot to ground. Hoping that it could be reasonably repaired.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bevan Rabell [emoji767] All rights reserved. | 1880 S. Airport Rd Wichita, KS 67209 | 316.946.4870

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Hey, If you elect not to repair,I may be interested in taking the wreckage of your hands.
I have a KY 97 that the LCD on the screen has leaked out so I need a new screen,
my research indicated that all repairs needed to be done by Honeywell through the SPEX program,just not economically viable to do.

Some of the King radios had internal fuses, not sure about the KY97, might be worth taking the cover off and looking inside for a fuse. Perhaps someone on here with more knowledge then me will wade in and let you know.

ky-97a and a Icom 200 and 210 and a Garmin SL 40 all use the same tray and will plug and play
dave

I bought and installed an Icom A200 several years ago,
don't recall anything in the brochure (or even scuttlebutt) that it was a plug-n-play replacement for anything other than another A200.

I am with Wire. Shorting power to ground would cause smoke, but unless you mean reversing both leads the worst that could happen is a blown fuse between power bus and radio.

Ezell Aviation Breckenridge TX. These people are pretty nice, friendly and the avionics guy did a good job for me. I think that King now requires the radio to be sent in to the factory? Garmin too. Give them a call. (254) 559-3051 Ezell Aviation.

Ezell Aviation Breckenridge TX. These people are pretty nice, friendly and the avionics guy did a good job for me. I think that King now requires the radio to be sent in to the factory? Garmin too. Give them a call. (254) 559-3051 Ezell Aviation.

Thanks. I hear a lot of good things about those guys. Unfortunately, I am finding out that you are correct that all radios are supposed to go back to the factory. Everybody I call refuses to touch it.

I am amazed that this policy hasn’t destroyed their sales. I called the factory and all they wanted to do was up-sale me to a new radio.

I loved the radio and just want to work again! I’m afraid this policy will prevent that from happening. Guess I will start shopping the used market!

my Flightline 760 worked great for 11 months. Then smoked. Sent it in and smoked again in about 2 sec. 12.5 volts in the right pins. We'll see, but probably Wasted $800.

my Flightline 760 worked great for 11 months. Then smoked. Sent it in and smoked again in about 2 sec. 12.5 volts in the right pins. We'll see, but probably Wasted $800.

Did they tell you what they found wrong with the old radio? If it is a wiring issue (see Mike's post above) think about replacing the harness. It's cheaper than another $800 radio.

In my experience with my CGR-30P, you are wasting your time asking that question. All you will get is that it is fixed.

Did they tell you what they found wrong with the old radio? If it is a wiring issue (see Mike's post above) think about replacing the harness. It's cheaper than another $800 radio.

My thinking is if it bench tested fine at factory in their rack/harness, and then blew up immediately after reinstall its harness issue.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Power to connector in proper place. I'm thinking they replaced internal fuse and did"nt bench check. We'll see!

FWIW I had a King KT76 (?) txp in my last airplane.
Didn't see the smoke escaping but one day it quit working.
Took it into an avionics shop who troubleshot it while I waited,
they found a blown internal fuse but couldn't identify a fault in the radio that might have caused that.
Charged me $68, including $20 for the "special fuse" required, which I thought that was a pretty good deal.
Txp quit working again later a few months later.
I pulled it out and opened it up-- sure enough, the same fuse had blown.
Strangely enough, someone musta broke into my hangar & replaced that "special fuse" with a garden-variety AGA-2.
They're like 5 for 3 bucks at NAPA.
Anyway, both times the txp fuse blew it was a hot day.
I ran a scat tube from the little vent on the side of the boot cowl to cool the txp.
Seemed to do the trick.

FWIW I had a King KT76 (?) txp in my last airplane.
Didn't see the smoke escaping but one day it quit working.
Took it into an avionics shop who troubleshot it while I waited,
they found a blown internal fuse but couldn't identify a fault in the radio that might have caused that.
Charged me $68, including $20 for the "special fuse" required, which I thought that was a pretty good deal.
Txp quit working again later a few months later.
I pulled it out and opened it up-- sure enough, the same fuse had blown.
Strangely enough, someone musta broke into my hangar & replaced that "special fuse" with a garden-variety AGA-2.
They're like 5 for 3 bucks at NAPA.
Anyway, both times the txp fuse blew it was a hot day.
I ran a scat tube from the little vent on the side of the boot cowl to cool the txp.
Seemed to do the trick.

Funny enough, I never realized they had an internal fuse and thought the only protection they had was from the circuit breaker. When I initially fried it I took the bottom plate off to take a look but saw nothing. I started calling around and was getting quotes all the way to $1000 just to take a look.

Luckily I was reading on another forum and somebody mentioned an internal fuse on a different brand of radio. On a hail marry before I shipped it off yesterday I popped the top cover off and sure enough there sat a 10 amp fuse!

It was blown so I walked over to my toolbox and dug one out. I slapped it in, closed up the radio and slid it into the tray. Needless to say I was ecstatic when I applied power and it worked!

I learned a valuable lesson and will be much more careful in the future. Thanks to all for the advice! Still troubleshooting my original intercom problem but I didn’t blow up my $2000 radio!

Do tell.

Web

I’d love your thoughts wireweinie. I am transplanting a pm1000II and the aforementioned ky97 from my Rv8 to my cub. I had a local shop build a harness for the combination. It all works, but I can only hear out of one side of my headset. It is the same out of both the pilot and passenger Jax.

A secondary issue is that the passenger (copilot) side of the intercom won’t activate continuously while you are talking. If you start talking it cuts in and out no matter what you do with the squelch. The pilot side works fine, but you can only hear out of the left earcup. The harness that the shop built looks really nice and the pinout appears correct.

Suspecting a intercom malfunction. Thoughts????

You usually have stereo/mono switch on headphones turn it to the other setting

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

I agree with Mike on the 'one side only' issue. Sounds like you're using stereo headsets and PM1000II's are mono only. Find an old, beater, David Clark headset for trouble shooting purposes. If the issue is stereo vs mono, when you plug in the DC's you will have audio in both ear cups.

Use the old headset for checking the squelch setting also. Occasionally, some of the new, noise canceling stuff doesn't play well with some intercom's. Just plug in the old headset and compare setting the pilots squelch to setting the copilots squelch. If you still have issues, verify that the copilots jacks are actually wired to the correct pins and not to the passenger positions.

Some dumb questions: Isolate switch set to all? Pilots squelch knob and copilots squelch knob work with the correct jacks and not vice versa? Emergency jacks installed?

Web

Guys,

I tried it with an old DC non-noise cancelling headset and it still only has audio on one side. The copilot intercom is actually worse with the old headset. I can hear the radio in the copilot position but can’t hear myself talk at all.

The shop did not wire it with three sets of jacks. I was surprised when I saw this because it had emergency jacks in the RV8 but they said it would work fine. I’m assuming I now have emergency jacks that serve as the pilot jacks and copilot jacks. The pilot jacks respond to squelch and volume adjustments from the intercom. When it pics up the mic (intermittently) the copilot jacks respond to squelch and volume as well.

Any more ideas? The guy that wired it just got back from Oshkosh so I will discuss with him before I ship the intercom off for testing.

Thanks!

Back