• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Outdoor storage cabinet

sj

Staff member
Northwest Arkansas
Hey folks, our current "outdoor" cabinet in the open T is an old metal office cabinet that is now a rusty, mouse infested, mess. I have a rubbermaid cabinet at home, but if you bump it wrong it falls to pieces (I guess I should just glue it together).

Any suggestions for a semi-outdoor (sheltered) storage box to put oil, some tools, and other airplane gizmos in?

Thanks

sj

I actually have been using 4 drawer metal filing cabinets. You can arrange them any way you want and they are even lockable. Got mine from a company that was down sizing. They were very reasonable in price.

The problem with metal is rust and mouse infestation, and the old drawers / doors don't survive too long being outside. Was looking for something plastic maybe.

sj

Build something out of wood, Steve. Not high science. Most of the plastic stuff I've seen is just as you described....junk.

As for mice, good luck with that. Maybe put a piece of flashing around the base of it???

Or hand grenades with peanut butter on the pins...

MTV

Surplus airline galley trolleys. They're sturdy aluminum and SS w/simple twist knob doors locks. Some even have wheels big enough to roll around on uneven floors.

I thought about the wood route. That is not a problem as I used to build high-end kitchens for a living, I just wondered if there was a cheap plastic route.

sj

Marine store for dock boxes and dock lockers. Usually made of gel-coated fiberglass. Or find a warehouse equipment store that sells plastic school lockers if your storage corner is shaded from the sun.

I found a wooden one on Craigs List for next to nothing, placed in on top of a couple of 4X4's. It's been in an open sided T hangar for quite awhile and still functional. Not sure it could be called pretty!

Get yourself a old cooler Thermos, Coleman or Igloo they a used to being outside and are quite water proof. They keep water in or out and will float in the event such as Sandy

As Sierra Bravo said, marine dock box works great. Keeps equipment dry and critter free, only sugestion is fasten it down, our first one dissapeared with all its contents. Check your local marinas, sometimes they have used ones that boaters ask them to sell for them.

Go get a couple of old refrigerators and put a lock hasp on it for security.

Jason

All good ideas. I like the marine locker idea especially since I would like to have something like that down by the lake at home too.

It does need to be accessible, as I plan to put my little air compressor in there, extension cords, cases of oil, filters, some tools, rags and cleaning stuff, etc.

Thanks!

sj

I use a composite ( plastic) shed purchased from Lowes Home Improvement under a carport at the hunting club. Steel reinforced, lockable and being under roof provides for unlimited lifetime . Really has worked well for security, rust proof, and keeps dust and dirt off of stored contents. Walk in convience a plus. Easy assembly. Fairly inexpensive!
The dock Box may work if it provides sufficient capacity, but they do walk.

Go get a couple of old refrigerators and put a lock hasp on it for security.

Jason
!

Old frig works fine, cut the cord going to the motor and stick a 25w light bulb in it and it stays warm and dry all winter. I have had one in the shop for years keeping the welding rods dry and the paint and oil warm

Glenn

A railroad signal box is what we use down here. Heavy gauge iron. Mouse and probably bullet proof. Lockable and don't leak. I paid 75 bucks for mine.

My last open T hangar I used a plastic pick up truck box with the wing doors. Had it sitting on a low shelf at the back of the hangar.

:roll::roll:

Man, I can not believe...

Go to your local rebuild shop, purchase yourself a nice Corsair Fuselage, slide it in the back of the hanger and you have a roomy, (sort of) lockable storage area...

Remember, since this is a SC.org container, it is tax deductable.

If you need more room, try a B 25, B-17 or something...

If you need something quicker, how about an A-10?:lol::lol:8)8)

Or for less money, a Spam Can 150 or aircoupe!:p

image.jpg
Little shed.
jk

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 130
I've purchased a few great metal storage containers at http://www.govliquidation.com/ . Just search cadillac and you will find high quality surplus storage containers. Out here they go for $300 to $400 for a 10' unit. I'm bidding on one Friday that is in my area. You may have to wait a bit to find one close enough. They will ship but it can't be cheap to ship a 500 lb container.

Sanacan the used day time price $100. Cheaper at night.
You could have a seat while cooking your eggs, radio, heater
Lifes good.

Regardless of the type of storage, mice (& rats) HATE moth balls. I use them generously whereever there is a possibility of mice.

I have several of the fridge jobs around the house....outside in the back i have a rounded corner painted coke red that is outside several years...holds oil gas trimmer line and hose connections..... in the garage i have a couple more perfect for dry storage (welding rods etc) the best is a coke type display fridge..thin walls sturdy shelves.........if i had the money a dock box like we have on our dock that has a vent and large door about the size of a large gun safe would be perfect

Steve - There are "contractor boxes" that are steel in the truck section of Tractor Supply. They look to be about 4x4x6 with locking lids. Should also be able to get a junk station wagon for under $200.

Back