• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

how cold is it where your at?

Looks like our High today in Jacksonville Beach is only 80f ...........but I head to Chicago tomorrow forecasted high 11f !!!

I sort of laid low on the thread because we had 30s-40s for the past few weeks here in SE Washington.

But today I saw zero on the thermometer. Clear and sunny, though.

Was -12 last night when I went to bed...but was -31 yesterday morning. I figured it was gonna be another cold one, but it warmed up to -3 by time we got up. Gonna be on the right side of the 30's by Wednesday.
JH

It was 30 this morning when I got up currently 60 Sierra Vista AZ.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Was 79/80 and sunny in Ft Myers for a couple days - got home 6:30 pm yesterday to find the furnace had gone out sometime during the week and house was in the 30's (-19 last night) :eek: , no pipe issues yet! Got the fireplaces going and FaceTimed brother-in-law (HVAC guy) who had me spin the draft motor (the problem) till it caught and burners lit, went out again, did spin move again and stayed running till this morning. Motor now replaced $$ and all good! 8)

Was 79/80 and sunny in Ft Myers for a couple days - got home 6:30 pm yesterday to find the furnace had gone out sometime during the week and house was in the 30's (-19 last night) :eek: , no pipe issues yet! Got the fireplaces going and FaceTimed brother-in-law (HVAC guy) who had me spin the draft motor (the problem) till it caught and burners lit, went out again, did spin move again and stayed running till this morning. Motor now replaced $$ and all good! 8)

why i hate leaving in the winter, have to check and see if theres some simple kind of phone deal to watch temps in the house?

why i hate leaving in the winter, have to check and see if theres some simple kind of phone deal to watch temps in the house?

Here's what I did (only works for a wired landline):

You will need a regular wall thermostat, a 100 or 200 ohm resistor (1/2-watt is fine) and a cord from an old telephone. Wire it up so that when the thermostat closes on temperature drop it places the resistor across the phone line. This will result in a busy signal.

Plug it into an unused phone jack in your house.

So you call your house and if it rings normally, all is well. If you get a busy signal then the house is cold. Call a friend to check on it.

In either case there's no charge.

Or ...there's a burglar in your house using the 'phone! Your friend will find out.:lol:

Just get a baby monitor. We have an Arlo brand, it sends us an email when the temperature or humidity goes below a preset number. It saved us last year when the furnace quit, notified us when temp was in the 50s.

FaceTimed brother-in-law (HVAC guy) who had me spin the draft motor (the problem) till it caught
Any chance of sharing just what that takes-------actually turning it or bypassing something on the circuit board??? Thanks

Any chance of sharing just what that takes-------actually turning it or bypassing something on the circuit board??? Thanks

8990d7ab241d7ab42928ac3f.jpg

The draft induction motor is above Dustin's right hand in this shot. I turned the furnace off and let the motor cool down (it was hot). 10 minutes later turn back on. It was trying to spin to the left but wasn't getting the power to do it (I'm probably not exactly getting this right).

My brother-in-law Lance is a HVAC guy, so face timed him and after reading the flashing code he said. "hand spin the draft motor to see if you can get it to run." so I spun the thing (plastic cap) some 40 times and it started to take longer and longer to slow down and stop. Finally it caught and started turning on its own up to it's normal 3300 rpm. Once the draft motor had run for awhile, the main blower fan came on line and the igniter kicked in and then whoosh the blue flame! Hooray!

After (finally) getting temps in the house up to the controlling thermostat setting it quit as per normal. But as temps began to fall again it did the same thing and couldn't get started. So, redid the procedure, spin spin spin spin... and finally it caught and went again. This time I changed the thermostat setting from "auto fan" to "on fan". Keeping the main blower fan running all night allowed the burners to fire when needed.

When I installed the heat pump in my cabin in S central WA about 8 years ago, I specified a wi fi controlled thermostat. I leave it set at 45° for freeze protection when I'm gone. If I'm heading that way, I turn it up to 68 or so using my phone or laptop. Then fire up the wood stove when I get there. It was 0° there this morning, and 45° inside. Really awesome setup.
Mike

Here's what I did (only works for a wired landline):

You will need a regular wall thermostat, a 100 or 200 ohm resistor (1/2-watt is fine) and a cord from an old telephone. Wire it up so that when the thermostat closes on temperature drop it places the resistor across the phone line. This will result in a busy signal.

Plug it into an unused phone jack in your house.

So you call your house and if it rings normally, all is well. If you get a busy signal then the house is cold. Call a friend to check on it.

In either case there's no charge.

Or ...there's a burglar in your house using the 'phone! Your friend will find out.:lol:

like these?https://www.ebay.com/itm/2755992645...fxbXtyPr0S9i7V4M69hpx4ga1Y|tkp:Bk9SR6SajYLBYQ

Thery just mentioned on the tv news that the coldest day ever in Seattle was on this date, back in 1950--
0 degrees at Seatac airport.
Not so much compared to a lot of your locales,
but that's damn cold for Seattle.

Thery just mentioned on the tv news that the coldest day ever in Seattle was on this date, back in 1950--
0 degrees at Seatac airport.
Not so much compared to a lot of your locales,
but that's damn cold for Seattle.

We had minus 7 in Tacoma winter of 2008. I remember it clearly because I had a nice heated greenhouse. The heat melted snow that froze the doors shut and I lost some treasured date palms and blood oranges. The heat couldn't keep up and I couldn't get in to rescue things.

That around the time we decided to move--figuring that if it gets that cold in Tacoma, we might as well enjoy the cold away from the city.

Temps haven’t been too bad, but here are my floats out in the yard. They’re upside down, on top of upright A5829241-A61C-4F5D-80DE-6AA5B3061B70.jpg55gallon drums. Friend at Meadow Lakes (west of Wasilla) said he’s run out of places to put snow and having a hard time keeping the ski strip on his lake usable.

Attachments

• A5829241-A61C-4F5D-80DE-6AA5B3061B70.jpg
    A5829241-A61C-4F5D-80DE-6AA5B3061B70.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 104
Temps haven’t been too bad, but here are my floats out in the yard. They’re upside down, on top of upright View attachment 6470355gallon drums. Friend at Meadow Lakes (west of Wasilla) said he’s run out of places to put snow and having a hard time keeping the ski strip on his lake usable.

I gave up two months ago. Without a skid steer and blower there’s no place to stack it. My tractor’s defeated.

Back