• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

PA-18 Landing Gear V Drawings?

General

Michigan
Does anyone have an image of the landing gear (either side) for a PA-18? Photo of the J5 version with dimensions attached as example of what I am seeking.

Im trying to verify that the PA-18 landing gear will match the attach points on the J5. The J5 has a 5/16 bolt, same as a 1750 gross PA-18. Screen Shot 2023-01-22 at 12.01.40 PM.jpg

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-01-22 at 12.01.40 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2023-01-22 at 12.01.40 PM.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 129
Memory is getting fuzzy, but I think Univair advertises its J3 gear leg as suitable for J5 and PA-18.

I'll check back later and if no one else has, I will post the drawings I found for my on-going quest for Cleveland approval on the J5.

Well, it is in my files as a pdf, but I cannot get it to reproduce here, so just google the Piper part number. This is a 1941 drawing, but I have the PA-18 drawing stored somewhere, probably also pdf. Looking. Also, the PA-18 gear leg drawing is #10033, and you might be able to find it on the internet. I did, and printed it up for my field approval application, but cannot find it. Possible that it is in the Cleveland 199-01700 kit instructions - I will look.

Attachments

• 35143-30712-landing-gear-vee-assy.pdf
    95.5 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
.... my on-going quest for Cleveland approval on the J5.

Dunno just which cleveland brakes you're trying to get approved,
but my old Univair catalog states that cleveland w&b kit # 199-071 is approved for "J-3 through PA-20".

Me too - but this is not my aircraft. I am just trying to make it legal. I shouldn't have to force the owner to buy a $3000 kit.

Why not just do it via 337?

A 337 will be fine as long as you have approval from an STC or a field approval before filling it out. If by field approval the FAA approval box has to filled out. 337 can be done for major repairs but alterations need prior approval.

A 337 will be fine as long as you have approval from an STC or a field approval before filling it out. If by field approval the FAA approval box has to filled out. 337 can be done for major repairs but alterations need prior approval.

Yeah, I've become familiar with the process of late. 337's for PA12 wings, belly pod, baby bushwheel, etc this year. For the brakes you have, I'm pretty sure there is a pre-existing 337 for them that can be referenced.

That doesn't always help.
I got a FA for 26" Goodyears on my C180 a couple years ago--
even though I had scads of previously approved 337's,
it still took 11 months and a lot of prodding the FSDO guy.
Needless to say, this process didn't improve my opinion of the FAA.

Yes - a huge percentage of IAs do not understand 337s. I am not a full time mechanic, but still I see bunches of 337s for alterations approved by IAs. This one is just the latest.

It says "installed Cleveland . . . Per Piper kit 199-0170 (from memory)". Then it is signed by an IA - in 1996. Scottsdale FSDO accepted it, without stamping block 3, and sent it to OKC.

Working on approval since May. World's easiest field approval. Dave would do it for free, but this is something the FAA should do - their guidance says "sign it."

That doesn't always help.
I got a FA for 26" Goodyears on my C180 a couple years ago--
even though I had scads of previously approved 337's,
it still took 11 months and a lot of prodding the FSDO guy.
Needless to say, this process didn't improve my opinion of the FAA.

I'm sorry to hear that. We've got a great FSDO where I am. They are good about working with AC owners and feel a responsibility to help them keep these things in the air.

Dunno just which cleveland brakes you're trying to get approved,
but my old Univair catalog states that cleveland w&b kit # 199-071 is approved for "J-3 through PA-20".

Bob, look over AC23-27 closely! While not very clear, the lead section indicates it is approved data. There is a later section that says you can use STCs that may not have your aircraft on the AML, but are similar. Unfortunately there is another paragraph that says the data can be used to obtain further approval. Clear as mud, but there may be something there that will help you out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes - a huge percentage of IAs do not understand 337s. I am not a full time mechanic, but still I see bunches of 337s for alterations approved by IAs. This one is just the latest.

It says "installed Cleveland . . . Per Piper kit 199-0170 (from memory)". Then it is signed by an IA - in 1996. Scottsdale FSDO accepted it, without stamping block 3, and sent it to OKC.

Working on approval since May. World's easiest field approval. Dave would do it for free, but this is something the FAA should do - their guidance says "sign it."
Had a J3 with a C-90-12 engine that was done many years ago on a 337 but no FAA signature. Called the FSDO and they said it was in the permanent records it was fine. got it in writing and put it in the logs.

Yes - my PMI said the same thing. I asked him to put that in writing and he agreed. That was six months ago - he doesn't check his e-mail, but he is a good guy. The guy he assigned to do the approvals is "different."

I would be happy with an FAA signature acknowledging that the old 337 is approved data. As far as I can tell, that is as good as a stamp in block 3.

Back