• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

3rd Class Medical Reform in January 2015? ...crumbling of the proverbial Berlin Wall, FAA style

WindOnHisNose

BENEFACTOR
Lino Lakes MN (MY18)
This would be terrific news! Mark Baker provides some insight into what may happen to the 3rd Class Medical...sooner rather than later...
http://generalaviationnews.com/2014/11/11/expect-third-class-medical-reform-in-2015/?utm_source=The+Pulse+Subscribers&utm_campaign=a20894f311-TP2013&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_62525a9780-a20894f311-57277

Randy

Expect third class medical reform in 2015
NOVEMBER 11, 2014 BY JANICE WOOD 8 COMMENTS

At the last Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association (AOPA) regional fly-in of the year, pilots clamored to sign a giant petition calling for reform of the third class medical.

It’s a scene that’s been played out at all the AOPA events throughout the year, association officials say, reporting that more than 10,000 signatures have been garnered since the petition first appeared at SUN ’n FUN. The panel that was at McKinnon St. Simons Island Airport (KSSI) in Georgia was the 10th panel.

“It’s been really popular,” said Steve Hedges, AOPA’s spokesman.

He added the association will keep bringing the panels to fly-ins and airshows “until the third class medical reform goes through.”

The quest for third class medical reform was on the top of the agenda for AOPA President Mark Baker’s Pilot Town Hall meeting, which closed out the Nov. 8 fly-in.

When Baker took over as president of the association in August 2013, a petition for the third class medical reform, submitted by AOPA and the Experimental Aircraft Association in March 2012, had been sitting on a desk somewhere in the FAA offices with virtually no movement. The petition asks the FAA to reduce the requirements for a third-class medical certificate, allowing certain types of flying with a valid driver’s license, much like the Sport Pilot license.

“As a business guy, I get impatient,” Baker said. “I don’t mind yes, I don’t mind no — I don’t even mind heck no — but I really can’t stand when people ignore us. That was just unacceptable.”

Unable to get any traction at the FAA, GA’s advocacy groups went to Congress and found support there. The Pilot Protection Act was first introduced in the House of Representatives, with a companion bill in the Senate introduced earlier this year. The House bill now has 170 co-sponsors and Baker reported that there’s a push on to get that number up to 218 — or more — so the legislation can be pushed through to a final vote.

“Meanwhile, the FAA doesn’t want Congress to tell them what to do, so they started moving on the petition,” he reported.

It also didn’t hurt that the pilot community made 21,700 calls, emails and letters to elected officials in support of the change, he noted.

The FAA has worked up its own revision to the third class medical, which is now at the Department of Transportation for review.

“It’s supposed to move out of there any day now,” Baker said. “Then it will be on to the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) for its review.”

OMB has 30 days to issue its report, so AOPA officials are hopeful the FAA plan will become public in January.

“We don’t know what exactly is in the rule,” Baker reported to the crowd at KSSI. “But here is what I think: We will get something done in 2015. Some things will change for the better as far as third class medical reform.

While there are many who oppose the reform — including the American Medical Association — Baker noted that there is no evidence that the third-class medical enhances safety.

“The third-class medical is just a one-hour guarantee of a pilot’s health,” he said. “There are no incapacitation issues and there is no math from anywhere to show that it improves safety.”

Meanwhile, AOPA officials urge pilots to continue signing the giant petitions at fly-ins and airshows until medical reform is reality.

“I’ve pointed out to Michael Whitaker, who is the FAA Deputy Administrator, that it will soon be his wallpaper in Washington, D.C.”

Please share:

My take...we need to stop sitting on our hands waiting for FAA and get back at the letters, emails and phone calls to your legislative reps. Last time I checked, 2015 is 12 months long and the public comment period on the proposed rule making could easily be 9 months long if they want to drag it out...then 3 months to staff their response. Let's not loose any momentum we may have!!

Yeah John Barrow lost his reelection but I fully intend to stay on his replacements behind all year long. I have not yet begun to be a PITA to my new Congressman

The following was pulled from the Alaska Outdoors Forum posted today, 1 Dec 14:

Thank you for contacting me regarding H.R. 3708, the General Aviation Pilot Protection Act. I am a cosponsor of this legislation, and appreciate having the benefits of your thoughts.

On December 11, 2013, Representatives Todd Rokita (R-IN) introduced H.R. 3708 in order to expand the exemption for pilots to operate under certain conditions without a Third Class Medical Certificate. Specifically, the bill would significantly revise the Third Class Medical by replacing the compulsory medical examination with a requirement that pilots possess a valid driver's license as proof of health. The bill would limit pilots to flying with no more than five passengers, not above 14,000 feet and at no more than 250 knots, and in aircraft that have a maximum takeoff weight of 6,000 lbs. The flights would be limited to visual flight rules only, and must be within the United States. Compensation for flights would also be prohibited.

General aviation is the only mode of transportation that requires a medical examination to operate a vehicle for private and recreational use. By way of comparison, large sport utility vehicles are larger than the small aircraft that would be operated with proof of a valid driver's license under this legislation. The Third Class Medical takes the decision of whether a person is fit to fly out of the hands of the pilot and his physician, and places it in the hands of a bureaucratic FAA doctor. This bill eliminates a duplicative and unnecessary medical certification regulation that drives up costs for pilots, and I am proud to be a cosponsor.

H.R. 3708 has been referred to the House Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure, where I am a senior member. I will work to ensure this legislation passes through the Committee, so that it can be considered on the House Floor.

Once again, thank you for expressing your views on this issue. If you haven't already, I would encourage you to sign up for my e-newsletter at http://donyoung.house.gov/Forms/EmailSignup/ and my YouTube channel at http://www.youtube.com/user/RepDonYoung. Doing so will allow me to provide you with updates on this and other important issues. If I can be of any assistance in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Sincerely,
(signed)
DON YOUNG
Congressman for All Alaska

I'm sitting on the razors edge of selling my 185 or waiting for this reform legislation. Next few weeks will tell the tale.
Mike

Yeah...good luck finding adult leadership in D.C.

I'm just listening to the State Dept. spokeswoman explain why they don't take away citizenship of Americans who are fighting for ISIS while we're releasing foreign combatants out of GITMO so they can rejoin the fight in Yeman.

This 3rd Class Med mess should have been resolved 2 years ago if we had true leaders in the FAA.

Rant off.....

I was talking about the Senate leadership change. I have no faith in a resolution comming from the FAA.

So was I.

FYI:

[h=1][/h]

January 13, 2015
By Elizabeth A Tennyson

0114_medical.jpg
It has been nearly seven months since the Department of Transportation (DOT) began a planned 90-day review of the FAA’s proposed medical reform rule, and AOPA members and the general aviation community are frustrated by the department’s inaction, AOPA President Mark Baker told Secretary of Transportation Anthony Foxx in a strongly worded letter sent Jan. 13.
“Proposed medical reforms, which simply seek to expand on a standard used successfully for a decade, have been under review for three years, making it incomprehensible to many in the aviation community that no action has yet been taken,” Baker wrote.

The standard, which allows some pilots to fly recreationally without obtaining a third class medical certificate, has been in use since 2004 when the FAA adopted the sport pilot rule.
“The evidence is clear: Allowing pilots to fly without going through the third-class medical process is safe,” Baker wrote. “The FAA’s proposed rule would simply extend this standard to more pilots flying more types of small aircraft.”
The proposed medical reforms have the support of more than 180 bipartisan members of Congress, who co-sponsored legislation known as the General Aviation Pilot Protection Act that would have allowed thousands more pilots to fly without obtaining a medical certificate. Major aviation organizations and type clubs also have publicly expressed support for reforms as have the Flying Physicians Association and the AOPA Medical Advisory Board, whose members are both doctors and pilots.
Allowing reform to move forward also will save time and money for pilots and the federal government while bolstering general aviation—an industry that contributes $150 billion to the economy and supports more than $1.2 million jobs but is struggling, in part because of the high cost of flying.
AOPA estimates that medical reform, as proposed under the General Aviation Pilot Protection Act, would save pilots $24.6 million every year. A conservative estimate also shows an annual savings of $1.9 million to the FAA.
Because third class medical exams take place only once every two or five years depending on age, they are no substitute for an honest relationship with a primary care doctor and the self-assessment that pilots must conduct before every flight. To help pilots accurately assess their fitness to fly, AOPA is developing a comprehensive online educational course, which will be offered free to the public.
Baker also noted that even without a medical certification requirement pilots must undergo an evaluation with a flight instructor at least every two years to act as pilot in command. During these flight reviews, instructors evaluate the pilot’s cognitive condition, as well as his or her physical ability to safely operate an aircraft. If either is in question they do not endorse the pilot.
“Our members, the general aviation industry, members of Congress, and the American people are frustrated with our government’s inability to move efficiently and effectively on issues that will improve safety, save money, and help create jobs and support local economies,” Baker wrote. “On behalf of our members and the aviation community we must ask, when will the Department of Transportation allow third-class medical reform to move forward? The time to take action is now.”

Dose'nt do a bit of good if the bill can't get a committee hearing... Now the primary sponsors and leadership are of the same political Party, makes a big difference. Remember they have been in session under this leadership about 10 days.

After all this time has gone by with no action, I'd be surprised to see any real change in 3rd class medical requirements. If they do make any positive changes, I'll bet they'll be pretty minor-- maybe increase the age limit for the 5 year medicals or similar. But whatever small changes are made will be promoted by the FAA as ground-breaking, and AOPA (and whoever) will declare victory.
I hope they prove me wrong, I'll be glad to eat crow on this one. But I'm not gonna hold my breath.

After all this time has gone by with no action, I'd be surprised to see any real change in 3rd class medical requirements. If they do make any positive changes, I'll bet they'll be pretty minor-- maybe increase the age limit for the 5 year medicals or similar. But whatever small changes are made will be promoted by the FAA as ground-breaking, and AOPA (and whoever) will declare victory.
I hope they prove me wrong, I'll be glad to eat crow on this one. But I'm not gonna hold my breath.

My thoughts exactly.I owe you a beer hotrod.

Hotrod180,
I don't see the AOPA applauding the FAA unless the changes made are significant. I have heard Mark Baker speak on this topic and there is no way the members of AOPA would accept something as little as raising the age for 5 year medicals as the only changes. We need to keep on Congress to make the changes and take to decision out of the hands of the FAA. Please don't give up the fight or give the FAA any ideas about us accepting something less than what is proposed. That would be a very dangerous message to send the FAA.

Marty57

Bigger things have happened in congress under the Obama administration. It kind of reminds me of the wolf problem in Montana, Wyoming and Idaho. Our congressional members were able to get a law passed and signed off by O that removed the wolf from the endangered species act in MT and ID and with the provision that the animal activists could not challenge it in court. After years of lies and litigation by the activists the people with common sense put enough pressure on our members to make this happen.

Wyoming took a different path and they're still having problems with the activists and wolves.

So I think this is small stuff compared to what I described above. But I believe congressional action is the only sure route. Hoping and waiting on the FAA to fulfill a halfhearted promise they may have made is foolish. Remember, it took them two years to even acknowledge that AOPA and EAA had even asked about 3rd class reform.

Hotrod180,
I don't see the AOPA applauding the FAA unless the changes made are significant. I have heard Mark Baker speak on this topic and there is no way the members of AOPA would accept something as little as raising the age for 5 year medicals as the only changes. We need to keep on Congress to make the changes and take to decision out of the hands of the FAA. Please don't give up the fight or give the FAA any ideas about us accepting something less than what is proposed. That would be a very dangerous message to send the FAA.

Marty57

Hear, Hear!

Eddie

I hope this happens but frankly I'm surprised we even have LSA Sport pilot. Maybe when the real JV squad leaves.

Bigger things have happened in congress under the Obama administration. It kind of reminds me of the wolf problem in Montana, Wyoming and Idaho. Our congressional members were able to get a law passed and signed off by O that removed the wolf from the endangered species act in MT and ID and with the provision that the animal activists could not challenge it in court. After years of lies and litigation by the activists the people with common sense put enough pressure on our members to make this happen.

Wyoming took a different path and they're still having problems with the activists and wolves.

So I think this is small stuff compared to what I described above. But I believe congressional action is the only sure route. Hoping and waiting on the FAA to fulfill a halfhearted promise they may have made is foolish. Remember, it took them two years to even acknowledge that AOPA and EAA had even asked about 3rd class reform.

Agree...I think it's time for AOPA/EAA to file a suit in federal court...a friendly court for sure.

BTW, #2 son and I went wolf hunting this morning...saw tracks and a ripped apart yearling moose that wasn't eaten but no wolves. That was 3 miles as the Cub flies from my house and it sure was cold and wet out there.

More info from AOPA:

January 22, 2015
By Elizabeth A Tennyson

0114_medical.jpg
The Department of Transportation has announced plans to complete its review of proposed third class medical reforms on Jan. 26, allowing the FAA’s draft rule to move to the Office of Management and Budget for another round of mandatory reviews. Meanwhile, AOPA has pledged to keep pushing for legislation to relieve thousands of pilots of the third class medical requirement.
“The general aviation community has waited too long for medical reform,” said AOPA President Mark Baker. “We will keep pushing for action on every possible front, including seeking a legislative solution with help from our friends in Congress.
“Last year’s General Aviation Pilot Protection Act won the support of more than 180 bipartisan co-sponsors in the House and Senate. Lawmakers recognize how important this issue is for the future of general aviation. We expect to new legislation to be introduced this year, and if we can’t get action on standalone legislation, we will do all we can to get it included in the FAA reauthorization bill.”

In the meantime, the proposed FAA rule to reform the third class medical process is scheduled to leave the DOT nearly seven months after the department received it for a mandatory review that was scheduled to take no more than 90 days. Once the DOT releases the proposed rule, it will move to the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), which will also have 90 days to review and comment. Only after that review is complete will the FAA publish the notice of proposed rulemaking for public review.
Although DOT announced the schedule on its website, there is no guarantee that the rule will move out of the department as planned. The OMB review could also take longer than the scheduled 90 days.
“We hope the process will finally move forward,” said Baker. “Reforming the third class medical certification system will save pilots and the FAA money, boost general aviation, and stimulate economic activity. These are all good things, and the government should be moving swiftly to make it happen, not dragging its feet.”
Throughout the process, AOPA and others have been pushing regulators to move reform ahead.
“Proposed medical reforms, which simply seek to expand on a standard used successfully for a decade, have been under review for three years, making it incomprehensible to many in the aviation community that no action has yet been taken,” Baker wrote in a Jan. 13 letter to Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx.
The standard, which allows some pilots to fly recreationally without obtaining a third class medical certificate, has been in use since 2004 when the FAA adopted the sport pilot rule. Since then, it has proved to be safe and effective, and expanded reform has won widespread support.
Major aviation organizations and type clubs have publicly expressed support for reforms as have the Flying Physicians Association and the AOPA Medical Advisory Board, whose members are both doctors and pilots.

Folks, please keep working on your Senators and Representatives. The FAA proposal is likely to fall far short of what we want, and far short of the proposed legislation in the Congress. I haven't given up on Congress, and I urge you to continue your letter writing and phone calls to your Senators and Representatives.

I fear that we will be in for a major disappointment in the final wording of the FAA's reform. The FAA is planning to drag this out, watering it down so as to effect minimal change. This will preserve their bureaucracy, their jobs and will make many AME's very happy.

Randy

I wonder what the thinking on this regulation is for the manufacturers of LSA aircraft. If they have spent significant capitol developing aircraft to fit into this specific rule (LSA), are they on board the third class reform or would they sooner oppose it to protect their investment. In talking with several manufacturers at Sebring it seemed to me that they are hoping or at least expecting a much watered down version of the original proposal that will keep their product in demand. I'm not sure I would blame them for being not real happy with a change that would essentially kill LSA aircraft. Don't get me wrong, from my perspective I support the change but can't help but think what it will do to say CubCrafters for example after they have spent so much developing a plane to fit into the LSA market. I haven't read anything on where the manufacturers stand on this.

I wonder what the thinking on this regulation is for the manufacturers of LSA aircraft. If they have spent significant capitol developing aircraft to fit into this specific rule (LSA), are they on board the third class reform or would they sooner oppose it to protect their investment. In talking with several manufacturers at Sebring it seemed to me that they are hoping or at least expecting a much watered down version of the original proposal that will keep their product in demand. I'm not sure I would blame them for being not real happy with a change that would essentially kill LSA aircraft. Don't get me wrong, from my perspective I support the change but can't help but think what it will do to say CubCrafters for example after they have spent so much developing a plane to fit into the LSA market. I haven't read anything on where the manufacturers stand on this.
I am very aware that the LSA industry has been lobbying hard AGAINST this legislation, and with the FAA. So have the Civil Aviation Medical Association (AME's). Both have much to lose should significant and meaningful changes be made.

Randy

I am very aware that the LSA industry has been lobbying hard AGAINST this legislation

Randy, do you have evidence of this, or is this speculation? I realize that one would assume it were true... but that is a serious accusation and should not be made without evidence. I'm in the "LSA industry"; I'm not aware of such lobbying, nor would I or my peers stand for it.... at least within my small universe. Ralph

Purely application of common sense on my part but I'd bet those who will lose money are opposed to the 3rd Class reform. I have no evidence of this but then I haven't looked for it either. It only stands to reason that those vested in the LSA market, AME's and FAA would not support expansion of the "sport pilot" privilege to larger aircraft. That's why I think it's time for AOPA/EAA to find some good pro bono pilot/lawyers and file something like a restraint of trade suit...it certainly doesn't take years for FAA to move an initiative thru the bureaucratic gauntlet if they want it to move forward.

Randy, do you have evidence of this, or is this speculation? I realize that one would assume it were true... but that is a serious accusation and should not be made without evidence. I'm in the "LSA industry"; I'm not aware of such lobbying, nor would I or my peers stand for it.... at least within my small universe. Ralph
Ralph, thanks for the note, and for your concern. I was at my AME recertification at Washington DC last August and was directly informed, by a person who is in the leadership circle of the Federal Air Surgeon, that the "CAMA and several within the light sport aviation manufacturing industry are not supportive of the Congressional initiative" to significantly reform the Third Class medical certification process. I was one of several AME's who were having this discussion. Their were well over 100 AME's attending the recertification course, and the vast majority were clearly opposed to changes in the Third Class medical. The point was being made by this FAA leader that we, as AME's, need not to fear reform as there were a number of groups, such as these and the American Medical Association, who opposed the changes.

Do I know which companies are involved in the lobbying effort? No. Do I have reason to believe this gentleman? Absolutely. I apologize if mentioning this stepped on anyone's toes. For example, I know there are many AME's who favor changes, and I have no doubt that there are those in the LSA industry who want aviation to flourish, regardless of the impact on their industry.

Randy

Back