• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Boeing Buys Foreflight

It may not be long now till you can setup your tablet at home, go to your plane, plug your tablet in and fly cross country with an autopilot hands free. Just be ready for that un-commanded pitch up.

"According to Boeing, adding ForeFlight to its portfolio “aligns with Boeing’s growth strategy of complementing organic investments with targeted, strategic investments" Does this mean we can now buy Foreflight at Whole Foods Markets? Maybe we'll see Foreflight listed in my wife seed catalogues? Al Hague must've been hired in their PR department. I'd rather talk to Okies.. they make more sense.

How were users affected?

I got parts from Avial in Dallas. If I called before 4 pm i had my parts the next day with regular freight charges. Their prices were in line with other vendors. Boeing bought them and shortly after it takes 2-3 says just for them to ship your order and their prices are quite a bit higher than other vendors.

Well, the good news is that there’s another 500 pound gorilla in that room: Garmin Pilot. I’m a firm user of ForeFlight, but if it gets ugly, I’ll happily go to the competition.

MTV

At least Garmin Pilot is usable on Android systems.
There is also WingX Pro7 from Hilton software which we use in the CAP.

I was not aware of that package, I like the looks of it,
www1.iflygps.com

Works well on my phone and tablet. They are based in Dallas. I stopped and talked to them at Oshkosh last year and talked with one of the employees that is a star gazer and comes out here to catch the stars away from the big city lights.

iFly works on Android, ios, Windows, and their own hardware. They go to a lot of trouble to make sure it works the same across all platforms.

With synthetic vision, the hills around here can catch you out easily. I have it downloading now.

I use WingX v9 ....I get it free by sending in my CFI credentials....I like it. It works well with my Stratux. I hope Foreflight remains GA friendly....I started out with Foreflight and loved it.

Someone mentioned a theory that within 5 years you may start to see Foreflight integrated into panel instruments. Purely speculative, but perhaps an alternative to Garmin, or along the same lines? I was thinking we'd see more from Dynon by now with the ex-cubcrafters president heading it up, but perhaps they are working a little more long term. That said, you'd think that Dynon might have been a company for Boeing to look at, unless it was too much hardware based and not enough software.

I will say, for an 11 year old company, growing from 1 to 180 employees, they did a good job in the creation mode. As mentioned, I'm sure the owners are dancing.

The Air Force is going the EFB route with miniPads and Foreflight. The heavy drivers have had it for a while, now they're being issued to students in pilot training. They'll be flying with Stratus receivers, as well.

For androids, the free Avare app is another choice.
I use it and like it, seems to meet all my needs.

For androids, the free Avare app is another choice.

I have used Avare for many years, it lacks allot compared to most all other apps.
Maybe they have updated it allot since I went to other systems.

Someone mentioned a theory that within 5 years you may start to see Foreflight integrated into panel instruments. Purely speculative, but perhaps an alternative to Garmin, or along the same lines? I was thinking we'd see more from Dynon by now with the ex-cubcrafters president heading it up, but perhaps they are working a little more long term. That said, you'd think that Dynon might have been a company for Boeing to look at, unless it was too much hardware based and not enough software.

I will say, for an 11 year old company, growing from 1 to 180 employees, they did a good job in the creation mode. As mentioned, I'm sure the owners are dancing.

Dynon is only "razors" not "razor blades". As Gillette, HP Inkjet printers, etc now found. You can give them the razor, the money is in the blades, ink cartridges etc.

Last edited:
The Air Force is going the EFB route with miniPads and Foreflight. The heavy drivers have had it for a while, now they're being issued to students in pilot training. They'll be flying with Stratus receivers, as well.

Good thing your out, that would really go against your grain. 8)

They'll be giving them to us sim instructors, too. But, we'll be getting maxiPads because we're all old and can't see so well.

They'll be giving them to us sim instructors, too. But, we'll be getting maxiPads because we're all old and can't see so well.

I am a Droid user, employer chose the ipad jepp efb so have to use ipad when working. It does a nice job displaying the charts, but its a full size maxiPad not the mini, that would be hell trying to read them on a mini

Well, the good news is that there’s another 500 pound gorilla in that room: Garmin Pilot. I’m a firm user of ForeFlight, but if it gets ugly, I’ll happily go to the competition.

MTV

I started instrument training a couple months ago. I just could not bring myself to by an iPad. I had a decent Samsung Android tablet and downloaded Garmin Pilot (30 day demo), Avare, iFly, Droid EFB, and maybe looked at others.

They all looked like they would do the basic job, but I ended up buying the Garmin Pilot subscription. I liked the integration on the Pilot, and the charts and plates load fast once downloaded.

My instructor has been a diehard Foreflight guy for years, but he said that Pilot had everything he normally uses on his iPad, so that was a bit validating.

No expert, of course. But I'm really pleased with it so far.

Fantastic, they “sold out” you know what that means, it’s going to be like Direct TV customer service and rediculous price packages. Yay...

Once you pick up a good Droid tablet and see how much easier they are to use, you will never want to look at Apple again, for 5 years I have hated the dang thing, just ridiculous the insane path or procedure to get something done that can be done in a heartbeat on a Droid, much more user friendly, for instance maps, crazy insane to operate compared to Droid.

Oh by the way... Is anyone looking where they're going anymore? Like touch screens on new cars, attention is constantly diverted from reality to virtual reality. Great helpers, but ought not become the primary source. Many new students might prefer virtual. Pet peeve.

Back