• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

PA-12 337's needed

Dynaride

Lake of the Ozarks, MO
I need prior approved 337's for a PA-12 on the following items. Finishing up a 6 year long rebuild and cannot find any info on previously installed parts.

Cleveland 600x6 wheels and double puck brakes

Scott 3200 tailwheel

Needs to be a field approval not an STC unless an STC can be purchased.

Really hate to ask, but this journey has been very trying and the light is shinning at the end of the tunnel finally, but I am held up by these items.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

start by searching this site with your type certificate number A-780;

or search STC SA02483AK, or SA2NE, for cleveland for your cleveland question,

SA01063ch for your scott question.

thanks for the info MT12 and I understand that there are STC's available for these items, but I was told I can't buy just the STC for these two modifications that were previously installed and not documented before I purchased the plane. I will call today and find out for myself to make sure. I've bought all the other STC's that I needed to get the plane in the air, just need to get these few items cleared up. if I can buy just the STC from the holder I will, just thought I could not with these two.

Last edited:
Something to keep in mind, FAA guidance for Field Approvals and DER Approvals is that if an STC exists, we aren't supposed to issue a Field Approval or DER approval. Based on that, you pretty much have to go get the STC from whoever owns it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess I overstated my question.

does anyone have an approved 337 for a Scott 3200 on a PA-12 and/or a 337 for Cleveland Wheels and Brakes on a PA-12 that they would be willing to share?

The Cub Club maintains copies of 337s. I don't know who runs the club nowadays, but maybe someone here can help with h that.

I guess I overstated my question.

does anyone have an approved 337 for a Scott 3200 on a PA-12 and/or a 337 for Cleveland Wheels and Brakes on a PA-12 that they would be willing to share?

Some have quoted CAR4a.477 and used that as the data to install any tailwheel they like on an aircraft that was certificated under the CARs, like the PA12. jrh

§ 4a.477--Wheels. Main landing gear wheels shall be of a type or model certificated by the Administrator in accordance with the provisions of Part 15 of this subchapter and shall not be subjected to static loads in excess of those for which they are certificated. Tail wheels may be of any type or model and are not certificated. Nose wheels are subject to special rulings to be made by the Administrator.

Some have quoted CAR4a.477 and used that as the data to install any tailwheel they like on an aircraft that was certificated under the CARs, like the PA12. jrh

§ 4a.477--Wheels. Main landing gear wheels shall be of a type or model certificated by the Administrator in accordance with the provisions of Part 15 of this subchapter and shall not be subjected to static loads in excess of those for which they are certificated. Tail wheels may be of any type or model and are not certificated. Nose wheels are subject to special rulings to be made by the Administrator.

Thanks N86250, I passed that info along to my mechanic and he liked it, so we will see how it goes!

I have obtained quite a few field approvals, mostly for wheels and brakes. I have never had to use a 337 from another aircraft. They do not guarantee approval.

The tail wheel is a logbook entry only and the wheels can use data from similar aircraft to get a field approval. Sometimes its less headache to use an engineer to get the 8130 from them for the field approval, the 8130 constitutes approved data and you just send in the 337 to OK City.

Re: Cleveland wheels and brakes. If you have -18 gear why not use the -18 wheel and brake approval and note a deviation that the gear is installed on a -12 by STC?

The tail wheel is a logbook entry only and the wheels can use data from similar aircraft to get a field approval. Sometimes its less headache to use an engineer to get the 8130 from them for the field approval, the 8130 constitutes approved data and you just send in the 337 to OK City.

Just a quick response here, a DER approval will be on Form 8110-3. A Parts tag is a Form 8130-3. I know keeping all the FAA forms straight is a pain in the neck!

David

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back