• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Oops, darn it...

This hit so close to home. Both the owner and the CFI were are great friends . Both very smart educated people. CFI was young but experienced heli pilot /fixed wing. He has been flying in AK for several yrs now. Owner a very educated RN and also a safety guy, Have worked together with him. Yes he was a student pilot, not even soloed yet. This is a terrible incident that we all need to step back and reflect on - how we fly- when we fly and who we fly with. We not only lost these 2 guys but 2 others that were along for a nice flight to see some countryside. Families now hurting, communities hurting all feeling the loss.
I will be the first to say there were many things wrong with what happened. Later on in time we can discuss some of those. now is not the time.

Karl you wanted to earn your wings , now you have them GODSPEED my friend Blue skies n tailwinds
My heart goes out to all the families.

So, here is a question, you are in your electric plane, partially submerged in water. How do you get out? What is the chance there is some stray currents that you might not fair well with?

IDENTIFICATION
Date: 15-AUG-19
Time: 20:00:00Z
Regis#: N2534M
Aircraft Make: PIPER
Aircraft Model: PA12
Event Type: ACCIDENT
Highest Injury: NONE
Aircraft Missing: No
Damage: SUBSTANTIAL
State: ALASKA
DESCRIPTION
Description: AIRCRAFT FLIPPED OVER DURING LANDING ROLL OUT, MCCARTHY, AK.

IDENTIFICATION
Date: 27-JUL-19
Time: 21:00:00Z
Regis#: N82253
Aircraft Model: PA18
DESCRIPTION
Description: AIRCRAFT LANDED AND SLID OFF SIDE OF RUNWAY INTO GRAVEL, TOK, AK.

IDENTIFICATION
Date: 19-AUG-19
Time: 02:00:00Z
Regis#: N1330A
Aircraft Model: PA18
Event Type: INCIDENT
Damage: MINOR
DESCRIPTION
Description: AIRCRAFT LOST CONTROL ON TAKEOFF AND WENT INTO THE RIVER AND FLIPPED OVER, NOME, AK.

Or a regular guy found an unusual gust after an unusual approach on a very unusually windy weekend. I don't know the plane or pilot but I'm in no position to criticize. The weather sucked. Stuff happens.

Notice the sunk 180 in the background.

IDENTIFICATION
Date: 15-AUG-19
Time: 20:00:00Z
Regis#: N2534M
Aircraft Model: PA12
DESCRIPTION
Description: AIRCRAFT FLIPPED OVER DURING LANDING ROLL OUT, MCCARTHY, AK.

He just rebuilt that one a few years ago.... it wasn’t wrecked just rusty

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

It sure looks like a quartering tailwind or direct crosswind from the movement of the waves. Do you guys know that area and the direction of flight and wind? Is that the only usable approach?

I wonder what effect that enormous building had on the wind conditions at the point of landing.

Is no or little flaps a normal setup for landing?

He must have sh*t his pants.

Would the pilot be required to record that incident or report it to anyone? Would something like that be included in the airframe or engine logbooks?

If it made Youtube, I'm sure he'll be talking to a fed.

Airframe and engine logs are for recording repairs and maintenance. If this guy damaged a wing, those repairs would be recorded but not necessarily the reason for them. You can read through repairs, note times, and come to a logical conclusion in the future.

Web

I am pretty sure the winds were gusting to 36 knots at Lake Hood the day of the exciting landing. The buildings and other things around there were probably funneling winds in all sorts of weird directions. Touching down in a crab angle gets exciting on the water. Usually ending up in an inverted position. Fortunately he or she had so much wind under his or her wings that the floats did not sink into the water immediately. Thus allowing the mother-nature auto-correct. And the slam-down auto deployed the water rudders. In winds like that, my darn 180 only goes into the wind while taxiing. That had to be a super crappy day on Lake Hood.

I’ve landed Hood with more wind than that. Actual application of control inputs is sorta recommended in these kinds of situations.

The real bitch is taxiing to parking, and you’d better choose your touchdown spot we’ll.

MTV

Mike,
I cheated in the Widgeon in those kind of winds with having differential power to turn. Definitely very hard to turn and get to parking in Helio or cub. Sometimes just had to put flaps down and slow idle and not go too fast backwards to get to parking. Floats can go under pretty easy in reverse!!
John
John

Wind and waves sunk the one float. Sat there all day until wind died down and then it was raised up with crane slowly and pumped out float.
That is what I heard.
John

Back