• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Iliamna mystery creature

When I was guiding in that area got to see some really strange things. Once while trolling for Salmon a standing wave came up 6' or so off a point and was trying to pull us in backwards, cannon balls were almost straight back. You've seen the tides, hard to explain to people unless they have seen it. Are you coming up this summer?

Standing waves can be scary even when flying over them. You should see some of them that show up between Nantucket and Monomoy Point. They are so high that when flying over them at 1000 feet it feels as though they will hit you. It's hard to believe that a wall of water can just stand up at what appears to be well over 100 feet without falling down.

The really big tides run around 27', but very common for them to be 20'. Less than 5' is a good fishing tide for Halibut.

Just thinking back when I deck handed on a 36' single engine commercial boat that cruised at 7-9kts. , had to plan on leaving and returning with the tide.

Would this be a prime example of "bottomography" 1/2 Ton ????View attachment 42752

Sent from my LM-X210 using SuperCub.Org mobile app
No, TurboBeaver, if that is your real name. This is a mirage. A fairly common phenomenon occurring when searchers begin to see things they are 'hoping' to find.
This one in particular could be caused by years of marriage and drinking saltwater. You're fortunate. Some people see hairy apes.

I've seen it there in the big tides in the winter, but the seawall rocks are under water then or just about under.

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/rur...-photograph-the-elusive-iliamna-lake-monster/

And just when we thought it was safe to swim in Iliamna...a great mystery.

Gary
Never know what your gonna see in that lake......[emoji15] 14cyuk~2.jpg

Sent from my LM-X210 using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Attachments

• 14cyuk~2.jpg
    14cyuk~2.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 261
My buddy in Anc. Has two neighbors the went there and tried to catch the monster they had Huge hooks ropes etc. , didn’t get him,lol.

Per the article (sucking down floating swans during their molt?) maybe some decoys would work? Let 'em drift about in the wind as surface lures tied to the boat? But soon it's ice fishing time so maybe they'll get lucky.

Gary

I flew over Iliamna yesterday.

I have my eyes on that water looking for the monster everytime.

Great fun for the imagination!

Back