• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Experimental Cub Kit with Slotted Wing 180 Hp and Big wheels any suggestions on kits

Actually the Javron wing structure was designed by the same guy who designed the Carbon Cub wing. The ailerons are stock size but it has an extra two feet on the flap just like the Dakota Cub wing.The Dakota wing was pretty much the same with a two foot longer flap and stock size ailerons. Both have the aileron and flap bellcranks and control arms for ailerons and flaps in the exact same place. Javron's wing is also 2300lb. I have flow my friend's Javeron and it is right between the round tip and Dakota wing as far as roll rate.

Javron's aileron bellcrank is on the inboard side where Dakota's is in the middle.

Steve - you are correct

IMG_31531.jpg

Bill

Javron's aileron bellcrank is on the inboard side where Dakota's is in the middle.

Steve - you are correct

IMG_31531.jpg

Bill
SuperCub3.jpg This Backcountry wing is a third position for the aileron horn. It's hard to see here, the horn is on the inboard hinge. Most of the aileron is outboard of the control horn.
Steve, Where was the failure on the DC aileron?

Attachments

• SuperCub3.jpg
    SuperCub3.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 224
This Backcountry wing is a third position for the aileron horn. It's hard to see here, the horn is on the inboard hinge. Most of the aileron is outboard of the control horn.
Steve, Where was the failure on the DC aileron?
There was no failure but they used a different alloy on the spar than the 3003 that Piper used. Ultimate load (3.6 x gross) deflected the wing 3/16" but no failure.

..The ducted leading edge Rev 3 style would be a lot easier to imitate

Now if I can find a picture of the Rev 3 wing. All I've been able to find is tantalizingly low on detail.

Vic
Is this a rev 3 wing? That is a long flap and a short aileron. The chord appears to have been increased by a considerable amount.

REv3-4.jpg Rev3-1.jpg Rev3-2.jpg IMG_1209.jpg

Attachments

• REv3-4.jpg
    REv3-4.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 189
  • Rev3-1.jpg
    Rev3-1.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 250
  • IMG_1209.jpg
    IMG_1209.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 158
  • Rev3-2.jpg
    Rev3-2.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 188
I see what confused me. The Dakota wing has the same three aileron hinges spaced the same as stock. The cable that comes up the rear strut goes to an extra idler pulley and the pulley that mounts off the lift strut bolt is moved 2 feet outboard. I just remembered that when you mentioned it Steve. The Javron wings have four aileron hinges and the second hinge is in position to use the stock pulley. With the extra hinge it seems like it would be as strong or stronger but I'm not an aircraft engineer. My friend is building a Javron and it isn't covered yet so I can check out the aileron.

Is this a rev 3 wing? That is a long flap and a short aileron. The chord appears to have been increased by a considerable amount.

Those are the photos I found, too. Yes, it looks like a fairly dramatic change. I just wish I could see the flaps up close, and maybe the wing structure uncovered, too.

But then again, I can understand them not wanting pirates like me mooching. ;)

Those are the photos I found, too. Yes, it looks like a fairly dramatic change. I just wish I could see the flaps up close,
Notice that the flap slots leave an open gap when they are up. I would want those closed in the up position for maximum lift in cruise.

Notice that the flap slots leave an open gap when they are up. I would want those closed in the up position for maximum lift in cruise.

I saw that in an earlier picture taken from above and thought the same thing. But then there are Junkers flaps that are out there on their own.

It does seem like it would add drag in cruise.

I saw that in an earlier picture taken from above and thought the same thing. But then there are Junkers flaps that are out there on their own.

It does seem like it would add drag in cruise.
My thinking is that the leakage would move the center of lift forward which would pitch the nose upward increasing the fuselage drag.
The Junkers is a rather dirty airplane aerodynamically.

RV

What you have shown there is very similar to what I have going on with the stretch. At flaps 12-15 it will already have the lower slot exposed, its sealed at 0. Upper slot begins to open between 20-25. At 40-45 both slots exposed. I can get 48-50 degrees with this configuration. Upper seal is a mylar strip to flex with aileron surface and keep seal 0-minus 5.

Flap, Double Slot-Profile-5.jpgFlap, Double Slot-Profile-0.jpgFlap, Double Slot-Profile-10.jpg

Flap, Double Slot-Profile-45.jpg

Attachments

• Flap, Double Slot-Profile-0.jpg
    Flap, Double Slot-Profile-0.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 171
  • Flap, Double Slot-Profile-5.jpg
    Flap, Double Slot-Profile-5.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 170
  • Flap, Double Slot-Profile-10.jpg
    Flap, Double Slot-Profile-10.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 161
  • Flap, Double Slot-Profile-45.jpg
    Flap, Double Slot-Profile-45.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 171
Southern Aero, What airfoil are you using? I experimented with moving the ailerons up in cruise on my 185. This was easy with the electric drooping system. In any position other than neutral the cruise speed was slower.

sky

Ha, its been a "secret" .......... Same as yours, just a little thicker ................. 13.5%. The -5 reflex to 12-15 degrees will be manual with electric flaps and electric trim. Something has to be electric or you would run out of hands on a go around. A lot of folks have been asking for info and pics. I'll get some pics up as soon as I get something "presentable". The fuselage is mostly done, looks like a bunch of rusty, burned up tubes at the moment and the basic wings are done. Will drop the fuselage down from hangar beam soon to finish interior/stringer attach stuff, mate everything up and build the struts.

RV

What you have shown there is very similar to what I have going on with the stretch. At flaps 12-15 it will already have the lower slot exposed, its sealed at 0. Upper slot begins to open between 20-25. At 40-45 both slots exposed. I can get 48-50 degrees with this configuration. Upper seal is a mylar strip to flex with aileron surface and keep seal 0-minus 5.

Thanks for posting those images! That looks really cool. The mylar strip is something I hadn't considered.

Now I want to pry a little more--are you using slats as well? I seem to remember you had drawings for the L14.

For landing considerations only, Might be best to try and mimic ground effect vehicles. You very seldom see any kind of slotted flaps on those. One of the reasons I thought it more effective to eliminate any slots and deflect as much air towards the ground as possible. Seems to me any slight loss of lift by elemenating the slots on a flap would more than be made up for by capturing under the wing in ground effect as much air as possible and smoothly deflected downwards.

flyrite, that reminds me of a question I've had for a long time on your plane. Did you have the bottom flap before adding the split flaps? If so, how effective was that by itself?

I was thinking it would have a lot of ground effect.

Now I want to pry a little more--are you using slats as well? I seem to remember you had drawings for the L14.[/QUOTE]

Yup, but slats not slots as on the L14 very similar to the Helio

Southern Aero, What airfoil are you using? I experimented with moving the ailerons up in cruise on my 185. This was easy with the electric drooping system. In any position other than neutral the cruise speed was slower.
Did you raise the ailerons too?

Charlie, I have an electric aileron drooping system. For an experiment I rigged it in order to move the neutral position of the ailerons in flight. This because Maule was advertising a reflex flap position for cruise. So I thought that I would see what would happen by reflexing the ailerons or with a slight droop. Any position other than in line like Cessna built it slowed the cruise speed. The up position dumped the trailing edge lift which is why I'm having reservations on that Rev 3 flap system.

Last edited:
Ahh, yours was on the ailerons, I have not read all of last nights posts yet so I missed that. I had expected this was reflexing the flaps which are more commonly done.

Charlie, I have an electric aileron drooping system. For an experiment I rigged it in order to move the neutral position of the ailerons in flight. This because Maule was advertising a reflex flap position for cruise. So I thought that I would see what would happen by reflexing the ailerons or with a slight droop. Any position other than in line like Cessna built it slowed the cruise speed. The up position dumped the trailing edge lift which is why I'm having reservations on that Rev 3 flap system.

Sounds like an interesting experiment. My flaps reflex slightly, but I don’t think I cruise fast enough to see a difference in speed. The airplane changes pitch attitude though.

I would guess that reflexed flaps might work better than ailerons due to washout, but that’s just a guess.

Reflexing really only plays it's hand with airfoils with a fair amount of pitching moment. An airfoil with any cusp on the underside truly needs to be reflexed.

Yes. But with that said............ with this airfoil it may not be that beneficial. Testing will tell. If I get 3-4 knots out of it, it will be worth while. The "mixing system" will give me about 18-20 degrees total movement of flaps and ailerons. If the -5 works well, great. If not, it can be adjusted back to zero and not used to reflex. Reflex worked on the Maule but it has the same airfoil as the Pipers. It just killed some lift and got rid of some trim drag.

Yes. But with that said............ with this airfoil it may not be that beneficial. Reflex worked on the Maule but it has the same airfoil as the Pipers. It just killed some lift and got rid of some trim drag.
There is one very big difference between the two airplanes. The Maule has a fixed stabilizer with trim tabs on the elevator. Reflexing the flap will effect the fixed position drag of the stabilizer. The Pipers have a movable stabilizer which neutralizes it's own drag generating position. Reflexing a Piper wing trailing edge will do nothing. Which is why my 185 slowed down with the ailerons deflected in either direction.

flyrite, that reminds me of a question I've had for a long time on your plane. Did you have the bottom flap before adding the split flaps? If so, how effective was that by itself?

I was thinking it would have a lot of ground effect.

Yea , Bottom flap before split flaps. No noticeable lowering of stall speed, But was great for popping off ground and providing drag for landings. widened the cord to be flush with the bottom fuselage when deployed.

Back