• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Gap seals

Sooo I put it on top, 2" with a 3/4" opposite middle bottom tape

PXL_20220630_002854366.jpg

Glenn

Attachments

• PXL_20220630_002854366.jpg
    PXL_20220630_002854366.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 152
Like this. When the surface moves it will remain the same tautness. The way you show it, it will be tight when the surface moves one direction and loose when it moves the other direction. There was a bulletin to do this on the Bellanca years ago.

20220630_053229.jpg.

Attachments

• 20220630_053229.jpg
    20220630_053229.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 136
I found some neutral colored foam weather stripping that perfectly seals the gap between my horizontal stab and my elevator on the RANS, and gained 3 MPH top speed and knocked off 2 MPH off the stall! No, not really, but it makes me feel better knowing it's back there and it doesn't add any weight, and I had it leftover from sealing up my doors.

I found some neutral colored foam weather stripping that perfectly seals the gap between my horizontal stab and my elevator on the RANS, and gained 3 MPH top speed and knocked off 2 MPH off the stall! No, not really, but it makes me feel better knowing it's back there and it doesn't add any weight, and I had it leftover from sealing up my doors.
Was there any speed change? With a fixed stabilizer and a trim tab on the elevator, the two surfaces are not always perfectly aligned. Therefore there could be some tendency for air flow along the hinge line creating a minimal amount of drag. Don't know if it is measurable, particularly on slow airplanes.

Blenderm .... position elevator to its lowest point and just tape on top the length of the gap.Cut out for hinges

Was there any speed change? With a fixed stabilizer and a trim tab on the elevator, the two surfaces are not always perfectly aligned. Therefore there could be some tendency for air flow along the hinge line creating a minimal amount of drag. Don't know if it is measurable, particularly on slow airplanes.

My thinking also, it HAS to help. Can't hurt anyway....and other than any "speed increase" (I spend a lot of my time in the 70's, because I like it there) and drag reduction will help climb, range/duration, glide etc. Unless there is a major drawback (like ditching the 29" Airstreaks for 6:00's would be) I'll clean things up when possible.

On gliders we use Mylar tape for gap seals, wide enough to cover the gap, double sided tape on the fixed surface to adhere the Mylar. If you are worried about scuffing the movable surface, put Teflon tape on that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is another method. Balsa wood faired and glued to the surface leading edge, covered with a fabric tape. Does it work? Don't know, as it was installed before the first flight. It does close the gap.

photos 079.jpg

Attachments

• photos 079.jpg
    photos 079.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 164
Any link for a kit for pa-12 with -18 feathers?

I got mine field approved. 11 pieces of paper but walked into FSDO dropped off the application, had a cup of coffee and picked up signed 337. You need to buy the PA-18 STC and have previously approved PA-18 tail feathers to go the way I did.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Like this. When the surface moves it will remain the same tautness. The way you show it, it will be tight when the surface moves one direction and loose when it moves the other direction. There was a bulletin to do this on the Bellanca years ago.

View attachment 61587.

Maule Aircraft does it this way at the factory .

Transmitted from my FlightPhone on fingers… [emoji849]

My goal for the Taylorcraft's seals was to improve elevator trim effectiveness. 1941's had a small elevator tab, later after WWII they enlarged it - like double in length. Now at constant power I can fly via trim full nose up about 5 mph slower - 55 vs 60 IAS. More nose up authority from the seals I guess.

Gary

What's the real question is why the designers of tail surface gaps left them so large? Surely the obvious leakage of air through them didn't escape their observation?

Gary

What's the real question is why the designers of tail surface gaps left them so large? Surely the obvious leakage of air through them didn't escape their observation?

Gary
The real answer is Who cares? The airplane has adequate control function in order to pass all the required FAA (or in the case of these planes CAA) tests. The desire to close the gaps is only a personal pilot owner thing. Sure they do something, but they aren't necessary to satisfy the FAA. Perhaps their installation is only to cover up some poor piloting techniques?

The real answer is Who cares? The airplane has adequate control function in order to pass all the required FAA (or in the case of these planes CAA) tests. The desire to close the gaps is only a personal pilot owner thing. Sure they do something, but they aren't necessary to satisfy the FAA. Perhaps their installation is only to cover up some poor piloting techniques?

Bellanca cared enough to close the gaps on their 7GCBC and 8KCAB. Likely others that are promoted for aerobatics but I've not checked. Brisk empennage control authority is desirable by some while exercising proper piloting technique. Then there's the aileron gap seals that promote STOL and roll rate on Cessna's and again Bellancas.

Gary

This is the question I was answering.
What's the real question is why the designers of tail surface gaps left them so large?

Gary

Bellanca cared enough to close the gaps on their 7GCBC and 8KCAB. Likely others that are promoted for aerobatics but I've not checked. Brisk empennage control authority is desirable by some while exercising proper piloting technique. Then there's the aileron gap seals that promote STOL and roll rate on Cessna's and again Bellancas.

Gary
A manufacturer can chose for whatever reason to close or leave open the gaps. The only question they need to answer is "Will it pass the FAA flight tests?" There could be any number of reasons to close or leave open the gaps. Some reasons you may not even think of.

Back