• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

DHC-2 Ownership Cost

I think they come with a wine rack

Glenn
And a cheese tray for snax

Tyler Cook owned one locally for a few years. Not sure but I heard the FAA liked to do periodic drive-bys as it was licensed in a weird category - exhibition something? Anyhow it eventually disappeared south along with the owner.

Gary

The AD's are the biggest cost and pain on the Beaver. Viking has the TC and when they are slow they soon dream up a few more. In their defence there are many high time salt water Beavers and some bush ones that haven't had much maintenance over the years. Some AD's are quite expensive. In the about 10 years we have had ours the main cost is in AD's. The Canadian regs have about 4 times as many AD's. The US didn't adopt many of them so much better id US registered. We burn around the 22 gal in cruise which doesn't sound bad but it takes more than 5 gals to warm her up on a cool day. Ours is on the big Aerocet about 20 knots slower than a 185 or 206 on floats so fine on short flights but something to consider if your going long haul. Ours just turned over 4000 hours and other than a carb heat gauge we haven't put a thing on it other than normal maintenance since we got it. You really need someone that is very familiar with Beavers to do a pre-buy if your looking at one. There are many things to check that a Cessna or Cub guy would never find that are 10's of thousand to fix. Take your time and find a really good one. They are out there for sure just not advertised. They are kind of an old mans airplane as everything happens in slow motion. Engine management is the only learning curve as nothing the same as an opposed engine.
The Norseman is kind of the opposite. Almost no AD's and no new ones as not many in the air to create them. Flies lot like an overloaded 185 and just as fast. Approach speeds are 90-100 compared to 70 in the Beaver. The ultimate for hauling boats. Other than a bit slower hardly any opposite rudder with a 16ft Lund. Boats are latched from the float to the steel wing struts which keeps the boat out of the slipstream. Good manners on the water so okay for private use. Just as loud on the inside as the outside.
While the Beaver is a wonderful plane to fly in a lot of ways the Norseman is much cheaper to buy and own for private guys and will haul a load a Beaver wouldn't dream of. For the same money I would buy a primo Norseman long before I bought a bagged out Beaver. Moar Lake 003-1.jpgKubota- Moar Lake 002.JPG

Attachments

• Moar Lake 003-1.jpg
    Moar Lake 003-1.jpg
    403.6 KB · Views: 200
  • Kubota- Moar Lake 002.JPG
    Kubota- Moar Lake 002.JPG
    171 KB · Views: 202
Norseman even harder to find than a Beaver!

sj
Look in Red Lake Ontario, the Noorsman capitol of the World.
I still say any model of the Stinson Reliant would give the same thrill for less cost. Remember many of those old airplanes are out of the FAA's line of sight, so AD notes don't show up.

Look in Red Lake Ontario, the Noorsman capitol of the World.
I still say any model of the Stinson Reliant would give the same thrill for less cost. Remember many of those old airplanes are out of the FAA's line of sight, so AD notes don't show up.

Just say'n the lady wants a Beaver... likely no substitue will qualify :)

sj

Just watched the video of the short field landing, our Beaver with the Barron 3000 kit and turbine slows to 42 kts on short final and when pulled into beta just stops. Never measured it but short. T/o when light it leaves the ground before you get to Take off thrust. Amazing aircraft, I often wonder if the bigger company’s didn’t have a hand in some of the over the edge AD’s to eliminate some of the competition in the commercial markets. It’s hard on operators to take a bird off line in season to do AD’s.

I've had several old guys tell me that the horsepower from the turbine conversions on -2s and -3s should have been there all along. It was just not available, for the weight, from the piston engines at the time.

Web

Our’s is a MK 3 , with a -20, everybody wants a -27 or 34 engine for even more hp but for my boss it’s a play airplane and perfect. The stretched fuselage is a game changer with the changed angle of incident on the wings and tail and cuff on the wings. It flys so rock stable under 50 Kts. Makes short field landings a breeze.

Oh, forgot to mention ours is a MK3 factory Turbine not a conversion. I think it was the second to last one made.this changes things for some of the bigger maintenance items for the good.

I been told that the original PT6 was a dog, especially on hot and high days. Rumor has it they wouldn’t even get off the water before hitting the redline temperatures. Even the -20 upgrade suffered the same problem.

The choices now are -27 and -135, I think. Those are the same power plants that Vazar, Viking, and Kenmore use to turbine an Otter.

I strongly believe that a piston Beaver on EDO 4930s and powered by a 985 was and remains the best all-around airplane for remote camping, hunting, and fishing, either alone or with your pals. A Beaver on floats is no problem whatsoever for one person to manage in the air or on the water.

As I pointed out, as prices climb on 2 seat ragwings, Beaver ownership and operation by a private owner starts to make more sense. On the plus side, you can share your secret fishing hole with 3-4 of your friends with all their gear (and the hundies in their wallets to share the cost of fuel) all in one trip.

I bought mine from Desert Locust for $110,000. That, a paint job and a Kenmore interior put me behind the yoke for under $150,000. The bank returned my collateral 3 months into the loan after they appraised it at $435,000, which I then used to buy the floats. In effect the bank financed it and my first PA12 100%. It was the best investment I ever made and owning 66B were the best years of my life.

I’m thankful I bought it in my mid-30s. Had I waited until I turned 50 or retired I never would have been able to buy or enjoy it given my health problems.

So SJ, pull the trigger and don’t look back if it will make you and your bride happy. I never heard anyone say they regretted owning a piston Beaver.

Were I in the market today, the first thing I would do would be to send a personal, hand written card to Harrison Ford and politely inquire if he would like to liquidate some or one of his toys that see little use or if he knows one that might be for sale.

It can’t hurt to ask. The only dumb questions are those that aren’t asked.

The Beaver I flew in Kodiak was sold by the government at auction in 1985-ish for $22,400 on Bristol 4580 amphibious floats. All operating mechanisms in the floats had been replaced the winter before. Plane was basically original stock civilian model. Engine had a cracked accessory case, which id been flying with for some time. Buyer flew it to Kenmore and traded floats for 4930s an overhauled engine. Prop was like new. He then leased it out for years. He told me once that plane made him a LOT of money.

Back then, everybody was buying shiny new Cessna 206s, and Beavers were cheap.

Plane is now back in Kodiak, working for a living, as always.

MTV

If you just wants ride around behind a round engine the Norseman might be a consideration? But there is a dam good reason you won't see one in Shannon's Pd or Slop Bucket Lake....... I am guessing your looking for a " Big Cub" sorta airplane. The Beaver will scratch that itch. A good lite one on 4930's with the big Ag Blade is at the top
Of the heap in STOL floatplanes. If you simply want to ride behind a round engine buy a Cessna 195? It's not STOL but it is Cool........
Having flown lots of different Beavers, there are dogs, there are good ones on the wrong floats and props, there
are good ones, and there are " really good ones". If you think you have a crush on your Cub, get behind an R985
In a lite Kenmore Beaver, and you will have a true love affair with an airplane! Lol.
Rumor has it SAS in Talkettna is selling theirs.......
(Sheldon's old outfit). Might wanta check it out.
Good Luck!
E

Last edited:

How long since that rebuild???

Not being critical, but ski flying can be brutal on an airframe. Worth looking at, but the price is actually more in the $370,000 range because the engine will get swapped once it arrives home.

I totally understand the desire for a specific plane. Right now is a GREAT time to buy a beaver in the market. Alaska companies are struggling. Some got loans and such last year and held on, even improved their fleet. Now they are asking what will happen next year?

The Birdcage AD and service bulletins need to be reviewed before getting serious about a particular plane. Big dollars if they need removed for repair.

I would suggest NOT the big paddle prop. You are not looking at big loads on short lakes, and the paddle props shake like mad coming down in the idle area... not a good thing for instructing.

Alaska Aircraft Sales has an older beaver sitting for sale. Been there for a while, price might be reasonable. No clue on condition.

Man, I’d take a Hamilton Standard prop with AG 200 blades any day. Get it properly balanced and it’ll hum.....and sing. Only reason Kenmore got the three bladed props approved was to please whiny neighbors.

MTV

SJ If Laura drags out her research out and you save your cash till next year we should be ready to let ours go :)
4150 tt NDH, all the logs, about 200 hrs since $650,000 restoration with mostly factory new parts.

photo.JPG

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    346.9 KB · Views: 277
SJ If Laura drags out her research out and you save your cash till next year we should be ready to let ours go :)
4150 tt NDH, all the logs, about 200 hrs since $650,000 restoration with mostly factory new parts.

Looks like a stock nose, and upgraded windows, tip tanks and appears unmolested wing. Alaska Door?

Laura would look FANTASTIC in that front seat. Well, let's be honest, she looks FANTASTIC all the time, but imagine the smile on her face in that pretty plane!

(I imagine SC.ORG memberships are going up in price to help with the fuel bills!)

It's only money.

I would flight plan at 25 GPH. Held pretty close unless it was a long flight, not many takeoffs and light. If there are lots of takeoffs or the aircraft is heavy it eats lots of fuel.

I made the mistake one time leaving the landing light in during a long water taxi and the generator wouldn’t handle the load. I didn’t notice the warning light. Drug the battery down and it wouldn’t start. Hand propping a 985 with a three bladed prop on floats is time consuming, embarrassing and no fun. I just recently had my first shoulder replacement.

I would flight plan at 25 GPH. Held pretty close unless it was a long flight, not many takeoffs and light. If there are lots of takeoffs or the aircraft is heavy it eats lots of fuel.

^^^^^^^
We found this to be right on for our typical 2-3 hour flights.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is a gorgeous plane....but my guess is it will be hard on our budget....or well exceed it. I need to work a lot harder!

You are all awesome. We greatly appreciate your feedback, input and encouragement!

There just aren't that many listed for sale....and if you want wheels....that narrows it much more. The interesting thing is, how do you put a value on these things. There isn't one like another and the tt swings can be huge! How much do you deduct in your planning for a beaver with 30K hours verses 15K. The panels vary greatly...but that is more understandable. The mods, AD status (and the price to bring them current). There is a lot to consider.

I have talked to both Tulsa and Younkin about overhaul costs and timing. Talked to Kenmore about gear. All were super helpful. I'm afraid to dream at this point. It seems impossible to find one that suits our desires (yup...not a needs thing here at all). But if we don't do it now, we never will.

cafi

https://alaskaslist.com/-3/posts/10...raft/596140_Dehaviland_DHC_2_MK_1_Beaver.html

$295K
5fc17a0b2703c49885628acfa.jpg
on wheels

Yup....just called on that one. Sounds ok....needs and engine overhaul of course, no tip tanks (which seems like a big deal when it burns so much an hour). He is going to send me some info. We would prefer the yoke on both sides...this has the swing over Anyone have first hand knowledge of this plane?

Yup....just called on that one. Sounds ok....needs and engine overhaul of course, no tip tanks (which seems like a big deal when it burns so much an hour). He is going to send me some info. We would prefer the yoke on both sides...this has the swing over Anyone have first hand knowledge of this plane?

Have you considered becoming an influencer? Lets just say a guy wants to sell his house and buy a beaver to travel around in....

Back