• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Oops, darn it...

Looking like LAB Flying Service has set up shop in Ketchikan. [emoji15]

Going back 10 or 11 years ago this was in the news,

The FAA has shut down LAB Flying Service in Juneau, saying the charter and commuter operator has shown a "callous disregard" for safety.

One must remember how many LAB alumni fly for majors even today! It was almost a right of passage for Alaska Airlines for a long time.
That is all fine but the problems within these companies is the management, not the pilots.

Stolen from Facebook. Original post disappeared.

IMG_3500.JPG

IMG_3499.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Attachments

• IMG_3500.JPG
    IMG_3500.JPG
    165 KB · Views: 489
  • IMG_3499.JPG
    IMG_3499.JPG
    203.2 KB · Views: 392
I see in the FAA accident report today a Maule in Soldotna, description says attempted to land on water, without floats!! Assume this maybe was a photo op to waterski on wheels?
With not good outcome?
John

IDENTIFICATION
Date: 11-JUN-19
Time: 19:15:00Z
Regis#: N61339
Aircraft Make: MAULE
Aircraft Model: MX7
Event Type: INCIDENT
Highest Injury: NONE
Aircraft Missing: No
Damage: UNKNOWN
State: ALASKA
DESCRIPTION
Description: AIRCRAFT ATTEMPTED WATER LANDING WITHOUT FLOATS, SOLDOTNA, AK.
INJURY DATA
Total Fatal: 0

The maule was headed to get his floats put on the aircraft. Pilot said he forgot he was on wheels.
I have done some really bonehead stuff. But omg time to start the summer Darwin awards wall of shame.

The maule was headed to get his floats put on the aircraft. Pilot said he forgot he was on wheels.
I have done some really bonehead stuff. But omg time to start the summer Darwin awards wall of shame.

we had one of our pilots almost try that.... the guy in the tower saved him when he said he was landing on the river at king salmon.... "well this ought to be good..." he forgot the plane wasn't on floats anymore.....

Anyone know why there is a 185 on floats on the gravel at Campbell Airstrip ? Looks like they sat it down without too much damage to the Wipline floats. Gouges in the gravel.........

we had one of our pilots almost try that.... the guy in the tower saved him when he said he was landing on the river at king salmon.... "well this ought to be good..." he forgot the plane wasn't on floats anymore.....
I know of a certain brand new Navajo pilot that did his first no sh$t instrument approach into Dillingham one winter and was in the flare with the stall horn blaring..........state plow operator off the side of the runway yelled “landing gear!” Guess that stall horn was a gear horn. Went around and landed uneventfully.

Attachments

• IMG_3594.JPG
    IMG_3594.JPG
    168.2 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_3595.JPG
    IMG_3595.JPG
    156.5 KB · Views: 224
I would love to have seen the explanation for insurance on that Cadillac.
I heard the man who owned that car interviewed on the radio about the entire story. It was hilarious. He had just bought the car new. He was laughing while he told the story though he admitted that it wasn't funny while it was happening.

There is absolutely NOTHING on earth which smells worse or stronger than dead marine mammals.

I flew down the Bering Sea beach once, where a dead gray whale had washed up a couple weeks earlier. Was always worth a look to see who was having lunch.

i circled around and there was nothing there. No critters. Then, a really big male brown bear crawled out of the carcass. He was a total greaser, covered with oil. This was during the spring Bear season, and I imagined the dilemma a bear hunter would face if he saw that BIG bear. I doubt anyone could’ve skinned him without a lot of lunch losing in the process.

MTV

My In-laws were around the Oregon coast when that whale got blown up. Not long before they touched off the charge, a licensed powder man had shown up and had a conversation with one of the DOT folks. Upon hearing how much explosives they had planted, he told them that was way more than they needed; when the DOT guy said that was what they were using the powder guy got in his car and left in a hurry.

Lyn, Mrs. Tango, remembers that story and news cast well.

One of my vessel tasks in Sitka during the 1969 herring season was to tow a herring pound net out to sea. Several large sea lions had broken in and drowned in the wrapped up netting. I made it a few miles until the web caught on something and tore. Up popped the bloated carcasses. We left. I heard they eventually ended up onshore and Halibut Point Road took on a new odor.

Gary

Mike,
After cutting a few tusks/oosiks out of bloated walrus floated up on the beach, one never forgets that smell. Triple bagged in garbage bags flying home in the back of the cub and it still smells. Once you have smelled it you can call it up at will. And gag!
John

Fresh walrus...cut into chunks then fried in a skillet.....tastes as bad a rotting one smells on the beach... then to get that taste out. Eat a slab of seal cooked the same way...my taste buds have never recovered!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Imagine if this had happened in the cellphone and social internet era?
Well, probably would have just faded away soon.

"when the pilot started company orientation on April 22, he had a total of 1,606 flight hours, of which 5 hours were in float-equipped airplanes. "

Is this normal procedure for hiring new pilots to fly Beavers on floats commercially in Alaska? Do you suppose that the paying passengers realize how little experience their pilot has?

I'm working through this good book on float flying in SE Alaska: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/20580200-seaplanes-along-the-inside-passage?from_search=true

The author goes to length describing his early flight experience and training before he was accepted by the company. Times may have changed.

Gary

Back