• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Missouri Breaks (Winifred) 2022 June 24-25-26

centmont

SPONSOR
9S7 -- Montana's Missouri Breaks
This first notification is just to hold the place on your calendar.

We will once again celebrate backcountry flying, the Missouri Breaks, and a small friendly cow-town in Central Montana where there are only friends, close knit community, and sometimes horses in the bar.

It will be a busy weekend in Winifred with the youngest of one of the oldest and most important families in town getting married... but Frank Carr says, bring-em and we'll feed-em. So weekend after Johnson Creek, we will see you all in Winifred. Questions?? 406 350 5487 Ralph Rogers

Missouri Breaks Photo Johnson2.jpeg

Attachments

• Missouri Breaks Photo Johnson2.jpeg
    Missouri Breaks Photo Johnson2.jpeg
    286.3 KB · Views: 607
Last edited by a moderator:
Really looking forward to this, Ralph!

IMG_4833.jpg

IMG_4830.jpg

IMG_4829.jpg

IMG_4830.jpg

IMG_4810.jpg

IMG_4811.jpg

IMG_4820.jpg

IMG_4819.jpg

IMG_4806.jpg

IMG_4800.jpg

IMG_4870.jpg

Till we meet again...

Randy

Attachments

• IMG_4833.jpg
    IMG_4833.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 219
  • IMG_4830.jpg
    IMG_4830.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_4829.jpg
    IMG_4829.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_4810.jpg
    IMG_4810.jpg
    261.9 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_4811.jpg
    IMG_4811.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_4820.jpg
    IMG_4820.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_4819.jpg
    IMG_4819.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_4806.jpg
    IMG_4806.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_4800.jpg
    IMG_4800.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 266
  • IMG_4870.jpg
    IMG_4870.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 190
We sure hope to be there!

Thanks Ralph!

sj

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Ralph
Looking forward to the Breaks as usual.
For those of you planning to attend the Johnson Creek Fly In, I will be posting a "save the date" reminder very soon.
Stay tuned!
Lou

Am I bringing my Cub, no ice cream, or the Tripacer, with ice cream?

Robert, you can come in any conveyance you like, with or without ice cream. That said, we might have to make an emergency flight to LWT if you show up without the makings……

Hope to see you there!

MTV

The Montana Pilots Association will be helping Ralph with the Missouri Breaks Fly In again this year. One function of this Fly In has always been a Fly In Breakfast at nearby Lewistown on Saturday morning. As was the case last year, the Central Montana Hangar of Montana Pilots Association will be hosting the breakfast Fly In at Lewistown on Saturday June 25th, from 7 AM till Noon. They will be serving their specialty: Cinnamon Roll Pancakes. Trust me, these are a culinary delight!

So, join us for the Missouri Breaks Fly In, and ALL the associated events, if you can, but join us for one or more of the events of this fun weekend.

If you need more information on the Lewistown Fly In Breakfast, contact Jeff Martinez 406-707-0598 or email at: jmart2580@gmail.com
See you there!

MTV

The Montana Pilots Association will be helping Ralph with the Missouri Breaks Fly In again this year. One function of this Fly In has always been a Fly In Breakfast at nearby Lewistown on Saturday morning. As was the case last year, the Central Montana Hangar of Montana Pilots Association will be hosting the breakfast Fly In at Lewistown on Saturday June 25th, from 7 AM till Noon.

MTV

Thanks Mike: And thanks MPA. There are some big changes in Winifred this year, with more to come via Norman Asbjornson...the airport is one of the biggest. Yes, the heart of this little "true western" town will not change...the horses will still be found occasionally in the bar. See you in Winifred. R

I've met Norman a few times at events here in Tulsa where his company headquarters and major manufacturing facilities are. Super nice, super smart and super approachable, well unless you're wearing a Super Cub jacket and then he approaches you!

Wonderful what a successful individual is doing for his home town.

https://www.aaon.com/our-history

Last edited:
I hope it isn't paved. Change to some isn't progress

Eric: If you can't land on the 4000' X 100' of turf which will remain after paving, we would like for you to land in Lewistown and we'll pick you up. !!! :):lol:

Rain!! Finally rain!! Things are going to start to green now. Spectacular.... welcome to Winifred America. R

Ralph, thanks for putting this together again. I'm likely for Missouri Breaks this year. Girlscout is UNlikely this year, though.

Thanks. cubscout

New guy (and new-ish pilot) here but I won't be able to make the Breaks Fly-In because I'm scheduled to go to a wedding on 6/25. Okay to show up at the airport on Thursday afternoon/evening, camp, and have my own, one-person fly-in during which I just enjoy the MO breaks from the air?

New guy (and new-ish pilot) here but I won't be able to make the Breaks Fly-In because I'm scheduled to go to a wedding on 6/25. Okay to show up at the airport on Thursday afternoon/evening, camp, and have my own, one-person fly-in during which I just enjoy the MO breaks from the air?

Absolutely! Get out and explore the Breaks and enjoy a bit of Winifred.

MTV

NOTAM on the gas pump in Winifred. We have gas, have the pump running, but the credit card reader is crap. This has happened before, but only right before the flyin. We can use cash, check, or send you downtown to the ATM where your card will work. Sorry !! Don't let this scare you off, if necessary we can use the "honor" system where you can record your gas and pay on departure. More later as I nose around town.... The 50 million $ school project is spectacular, we will arrange tours.

I'm back in Montana and it is green.... All the way up the rockies it was brown brittle and red-flag. Later....R

In the category of "Small World"...

This morning we were harvesting oocytes for a young, great ranch couple from Montana, and I knew they lived close to Lewistown which is, of course, just south and west of Winifred, the epicenter of the Universe. I asked them where exactly they lived and they told me "Denton MT", so I took a look at Google maps and saw that Denton MT has what appears to be a very nice airstrip about 1 block from Main Street! I looked closer and sure enough there is the Shade Tree Cafe in downtown Denton! Perfect place to go for breakfast, etc! I went in to begin the procedure and walked over to hold her hand and said "Kiddo, you have been holdin' out on me! Your town has an airport!" She laughed and said "Well it isn't much of an airport, just a bunch of mowed grass" to which I said "Perfect! And a cafe only a block away from the airstrip! We'll be there sometime for breakfast!"

I texted Ralph and sure enough he is quite aware of that town and airstrip, and he knows of the people who live there, too...those small Montana schools are quite "in the know" about each other, and Denton is only 27 nm away from one another! It brought joy to my heart not only to be able to provide care for these young people, but also to have a friend and connection like Ralph in common! Bonus...I had the chance to call Ralph, wish him a good early morning (whoops... forgot about the time change, my bad, Ralph)!

Here are some photos...

9S7 to 5U0.JPG

google map winifred denton mt.jpg

Denton MT 5U0.jpg

Denton MT Shade Tree Cafe.jpg

I am hoping we will be able to stop in there in a few weeks and that they will have good news to share with me!

Ralph, I am so fortunate to have crossed paths with you! It has been such a calming thing for these people from your communities, who don't really have a trust of "big city" docs, to know that I know of you and Melissa and that connection puts everyone at ease. Thanks for putting the Missouri Breaks Flyin together, and for all you do!

Randy

Attachments

• 9S7 to 5U0.JPG
    9S7 to 5U0.JPG
    211.9 KB · Views: 1,930
  • google map winifred denton mt.jpg
    google map winifred denton mt.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 1,933
  • Denton MT 5U0.jpg
    Denton MT 5U0.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 1,914
  • Denton MT Shade Tree Cafe.jpg
    Denton MT Shade Tree Cafe.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 2,124
Yes that's where the prairie fire burned much of town a year ago, Shade Tree survived, Tessy and I have eaten there. Just down the road is a natural spring which I wanted to land at with plane and cool off sometime. I see its permanently closed. Another destination falls victim to technology. What kid wants to swim there with their parents when you have a smart phone at your fingertips. We should fly as a group to the old Shade Tree for some chow. https://centralmontana.com/blog/swimming-at-gigantic-warm-springs/

In the category of "Small World"...

This morning we were harvesting oocytes for a young, great ranch couple from Montana, and I knew they lived close to Lewistown which is, of course, just south and west of Winifred, the epicenter of the Universe. I asked them where exactly they lived and they told me "Denton MT", so I took a look at Google maps and saw that Denton MT has what appears to be a very nice airstrip about 1 block from Main Street! I looked closer and sure enough there is the Shade Tree Cafe in downtown Denton! Perfect place to go for breakfast, etc! I went in to begin the procedure and walked over to hold her hand and said "Kiddo, you have been holdin' out on me! Your town has an airport!" She laughed and said "Well it isn't much of an airport, just a bunch of mowed grass" to which I said "Perfect! And a cafe only a block away from the airstrip! We'll be there sometime for breakfast!"

I texted Ralph and sure enough he is quite aware of that town and airstrip, and he knows of the people who live there, too...those small Montana schools are quite "in the know" about each other, and Denton is only 27 nm away from one another! It brought joy to my heart not only to be able to provide care for these young people, but also to have a friend and connection like Ralph in common! Bonus...I had the chance to call Ralph, wish him a good early morning (whoops... forgot about the time change, my bad, Ralph)!

Here are some photos...

View attachment 61362

View attachment 61363

View attachment 61364

View attachment 61365

I am hoping we will be able to stop in there in a few weeks and that they will have good news to share with me!

Ralph, I am so fortunate to have crossed paths with you! It has been such a calming thing for these people from your communities, who don't really have a trust of "big city" docs, to know that I know of you and Melissa and that connection puts everyone at ease. Thanks for putting the Missouri Breaks Flyin together, and for all you do!

Randy

Randy,

It is a small world. While that Minnesota Santa we all know was delivering presents to kids in Minnesota last winter, another Santa type was delivering a load of toys to the children of Denton. We landed at Stanford, cause the strip at Denton was not plowed, and the 310 would likely still be there. The Denton kids were bused over, and was a lot of fun. That fire burned a number of buildings in Denton.

26AF3058-26C9-4DA5-B795-A5F31CF11679.jpg

MTV

Attachments

• 26AF3058-26C9-4DA5-B795-A5F31CF11679.jpg
    26AF3058-26C9-4DA5-B795-A5F31CF11679.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Back