• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Carb heat exhaust take off

cgoldy

Moogerah Queensland Australia
I’m looking for a particular Carb heat exhaust take off. I had one originally but gave it away when I fitted a Sutton.

It’s a simple shroud with two stand off legs, held on by two hose clamps clamping the stand off legs to the pipe. I think it had a little corse filter in the opening. Connected by a scat hose of course.

Anyone recognise that description?

Colin

I’m looking for a particular Carb heat exhaust take off. I had one originally but gave it away when I fitted a Sutton.

It’s a simple shroud with two stand off legs, held on by two hose clamps clamping the stand off legs to the pipe. I think it had a little corse filter in the opening. Connected by a scat hose of course.

Anyone recognise that description?

Colin

Some cessnas use that

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Later model 180s used a heat robber on the left side exhaust to provide carb heat. I pitched mine years ago or I'd take a picture. Salvage yards should have them.

I added a flange on the muffler shroud for carb heat.

Don't know what Atlee's did. I probably should, huh? Doesn't matter. My carb heat sure works better.

I’m trying to figure out similar. Muffler is used but from an injected engine(Sutton) so it’s missing the carb heat end of shroud.... plus a few other mods it had to fit this style cowl.... thinking might make a heat robber style box that chooses between cabin and carb heat.... haven’t really thought much about it yet... but need to figure it out some day....

This? Not my airplane and am not certain they are the same part

Attachments

• 62967412-72F5-43DB-A7C9-DB3711646C8B.jpg
    62967412-72F5-43DB-A7C9-DB3711646C8B.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 143
  • 23F2C835-5220-4274-9568-0B687F64AEAD.png
    23F2C835-5220-4274-9568-0B687F64AEAD.png
    165.1 KB · Views: 142
This? Not my airplane and am not certain they are the same part

mid year 172 and many Scouts used something like this for carb heat. We used one from a 172 on a Husky, and re routed the shroud heat to back seat. Since it’s a certified part on 23 aircraft, it was easy to get approved.

MTV

Not close to what 180s had. That version was small and simple. Somebody here must have one to take a pic of.

I’m trying to figure out similar. Muffler is used but from an injected engine(Sutton) so it’s missing the carb heat end of shroud.... plus a few other mods it had to fit this style cowl.... thinking might make a heat robber style box that chooses between cabin and carb heat.... haven’t really thought much about it yet... but need to figure it out some day....

My 180 has the typical pressure pickup behind the oil cooler. 1 inlet so the shroud can’t be partitioned. Cabin heat dumps overboard when not diverted into the plane. I always have plenty of carb heat.

Can anyone tell me if a Sutton exhaust has a heat shroud that is split to accommodate cabin heat and carb heat? I always thought they did but Cgoldy's original post has me wondering.

Thanks, Web

Can anyone tell me if a Sutton exhaust has a heat shroud that is split to accommodate cabin heat and carb heat? I always thought they did but Cgoldy's original post has me wondering.

Thanks, Web

The one I installed 7? Years ago did. Center over muffler was cabin heat. Left side off of muffler just over pipes was carb heat??

Thanks, Web

It does not. 100% cabin heat under the shroud

My Sutton has a muff that does heater and carby heat. Heavy stainless steel shroud around the muffler. I took it off to remove weight up front. I live in a warm climate. So that is why I am looking for a small Light heat take off for the carby heat.

Colin, Why don't you replace that heavy stainless shroud with an aluminum one to reduce the weight? By design, it is always cooled by the continuous flow of air. This will reduce the cluttering up of the engine compartment which would happen if you used one of these other units. Just keep an eye on it for a while until you learn it's habits. They aren't all made of stainless.

My Sutton has a muff that does heater and carby heat. Heavy stainless steel shroud around the muffler. I took it off to remove weight up front. I live in a warm climate. So that is why I am looking for a small Light heat take off for the carby heat.

d72037_5c1d002993a24e03a94f6e379bd7d114~mv2.jpg

Pietenpol technology

Glenn

Attachments

• d72037_5c1d002993a24e03a94f6e379bd7d114~mv2.jpg
    d72037_5c1d002993a24e03a94f6e379bd7d114~mv2.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 464
Colin, Why don't you replace that heavy stainless shroud with an aluminum one to reduce the weight? By design, it is always cooled by the continuous flow of air. This will reduce the cluttering up of the engine compartment which would happen if you used one of these other units. Just keep an eye on it for a while until you learn it's habits. They aren't all made of stainless.

Some one told Me that it would be too hot for Ally. That would be the best result and I will get my heater back.

Did you happen to weigh the stainless shroud?
This may help? https://www.industrialmetalsupply.com/Weight-Calculator
Depending on what is available down under, perhaps Colin could find a much thinner piece of S/S if he is concerned about aluminum? I believe the worst situation with the aluminum would be perhaps some extra wear where it is clamped to the muffler. Aren't the original Cub shrouds made of aluminum?

Last edited:
Back