• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Summit Skis

Bushrat

Is anyone operating these? I am considering them and would like a real world opinion on how well they perform. I have operated federal straight skis on my former PA12. I recently purchased a PA18 and would like to know how close these would be? (I realize the Summits are penetration) Also I am installing a new airglass cargo pod (The Biggest they make) Will this be a problem?

Bushrat

They work really well on my 160hp cub. I had a firman pod on last year with 8.50 desser smooth tires. Worked really well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone know how Summits compare to Trick Air’s? Anyone here flown both on the same airplane?

Kurt

How do you sign off Summits on a standard category airplane? Trickairs are approved. Summits aren’t, right?

How do you sign off Summits on a standard category airplane? Trickairs are approved. Summits aren’t, right?

Correct.

I had a field approval a few years ago based off the light sport summit ski. Took over a year to get.

Huh, you can get those FAs but not a ferry permit? Crazy times, these are. ;)

I recall dgapilot saying he won't FA Summits without pedestal data, and they won't provide it. I find the light weight very appealing but if the "pedestal" is simply attached to the top shell without internal support to the bottom? I'd be scared of them.

Huh, you can get those FAs but not a ferry permit? Crazy times, these are. ;)

I recall dgapilot saying he won't FA Summits without pedestal data, and they won't provide it. I find the light weight very appealing but if the "pedestal" is simply attached to the top shell without internal support to the bottom? I'd be scared of them.

Like I said, awhile ago. They took away the local FSDO’s field approval authority and ferry permits at the same time.

The issue with skis that aren’t certified is that both CAR 4 and CAR 3 require skis to be a “certified type”. Under the CAR system, that was certified with a type certificate under CAR 15. Today, that is the same as certified under TSO C28. As a DER doing a DER approval, or a DAR doing a field approval, I’m required to show compliance to the regulations. Given the regulations clearly state the skis need to be an “approved type”, my hands are tied. I tried to get the data from Summit that would at least show the design complied with TSO C28 even though they never applied for the approval figuring if I had the data I could show they were equivalent, but Summit said they had no data. That leaves us high and dry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I almost finished rigging my Trick Air 1500s to my 11-EX…I had made these brackets to drop down to the pedestal so I can use 8.50 tires(experimental) so this is fine. The brackets are a little beefy but I figured there’s a lot of torque on them….I wanted bolt on brackets as well, so I made these. The truck airs are not light but the are stout. If I didn’t have these from my J3 I’d have bought some Summits I think….but, I’m making do.
BDFD5591-A77E-42CC-AB69-6C242EDDED39.jpg
665151E4-B141-488F-978F-D8990BA87355.jpg

Attachments

• BDFD5591-A77E-42CC-AB69-6C242EDDED39.jpg
    BDFD5591-A77E-42CC-AB69-6C242EDDED39.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 202
  • 665151E4-B141-488F-978F-D8990BA87355.jpg
    665151E4-B141-488F-978F-D8990BA87355.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 225
Dan
It looks like only one bolt holding the bracket to the leg. What keeps if from swinging down and inboard, another bolt we can't see? DENNY

I think your bolt-on fittings are clever but I wonder about torque loads. I’ll make sort of similar fittings but my TK gear provides lots of bolts to secure the fittings. I may weld the fittings if they don’t interfere with my bolted axles but I don’t think it’ll work. That’s a project for after New Year. I have warmer weather activities to do til then. :).

Merry Christmas, all!

The only time skis get a lot of stress is when the person flying it man handles it after getting stuck or moving it in a circular motion without the skis sliding forward or backwards

Glenn

I almost finished rigging my Trick Air 1500s to my 11-EX…I had made these brackets to drop down to the pedestal so I can use 8.50 tires(experimental) so this is fine. The brackets are a little beefy but I figured there’s a lot of torque on them….I wanted bolt on brackets as well, so I made these. The truck airs are not light but the are stout. If I didn’t have these from my J3 I’d have bought some Summits I think….but, I’m making do.
View attachment 58984
View attachment 58985

Im no engineer, but that looks like a recipe for failure.

MTV

I may have shamelessly copied someone else’s idea…It bolts to the axel torque plate in two places. I think my brackets are a little heavy because I thought the xtra support was worth it. They are just over 2 lbs each. Ouch. Lol. The Trick Airs are great skis. I’ve never had a real good look at summits up close. I know they are lighter and may possibly have a little less drag on the snow….not sure. I used these skis for 3 seasons on my 65 hp J3 and they worked fine….a little more takeoff distance than my Federals but worth it to me for ease of operation. It sure is nice to taxi across the pavement and roll it into my hangar. I only do this for fun so these suit me very nicely.

The only time skis get a lot of stress is when the person flying it man handles it after getting stuck or moving it in a circular motion without the skis sliding forward or backwards

Glenn
Hitting frozen snowmachine tracks, ice chunks, ice ridges, re-frozen overflow holes, hard drifts, fast taxiing in a turn, etc. My skis take lots loads that would transfer torque to the attachments. I don’t think a bolt-on fitting in itself is a problem. Making the fitting taller (standing it off the axle) and how that handles torque will be interesting.

Hitting frozen snowmachine tracks, ice chunks, ice ridges, re-frozen overflow holes, hard drifts, fast taxiing in a turn, etc. My skis take lots loads that would transfer torque to the attachments. I don’t think a bolt-on fitting in itself is a problem. Making the fitting taller (standing it off the axle) and how that handles torque will be interesting.
thats why I have such substantial gussets on the brackets I made…..the pedestals are set where they are….so adding that extra gusset was important to me….it weighs more but I felt it was worth it.

It’ll probably be fine. All you’ve done is extend the pedestal height to what 2250s and 2500s use. And it’s easy to inspect.

Try grabbing the ski nose and twist back and forth sideways. See what moves and fix if needed. If needed some ski designs (Federal AWB2500) can add a third gear leg to form another supporting triangle.

Gary

These brackets are made of 1/4” plate and they sandwich the existing axel combing the strength of the bracket and the axel/gear…..extremely strong. Since the original post is about Summits…I read on their website that the outside shell is the structural portion of their skis. Is the pedistal plate on summits mounted to an internally formed carbon reinforcement? I understand why my skis are 29 lbs each while theirs are just over 20…,trick airs have a steel “skeleton “ of sorts.

These brackets are made of 1/4” plate and they sandwich the existing axel combing the strength of the bracket and the axel/gear…..extremely strong. Since the original post is about Summits…I read on their website that the outside shell is the structural portion of their skis. Is the pedistal plate on summits mounted to an internally formed carbon reinforcement? I understand why my skis are 29 lbs each while theirs are just over 20…,trick airs have a steel “skeleton “ of sorts.

I'm not sure how the brackets are attached to the ski. I don't have the Cub these are going on yet, so I hung them on the wall to get them off the floor. Hopefully these brackets aren't harming them, maybe I should build a shelf to avoid deforming the plastic bottoms.

Attachments

• WKJ0plXw.jpeg
    WKJ0plXw.jpeg
    163.3 KB · Views: 123
  • TYWd7ziw.jpeg
    TYWd7ziw.jpeg
    71.6 KB · Views: 114
  • 20211224_130337.jpg
    20211224_130337.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 128

My understanding of the pedestal attachment is that there’s no support under the top shell. I’d like to see what’s under the top shell of Trick Airs. My 2250s aren’t light by Summit standards but after using Fluidynes for two decades? They feel light to me! ;)

Try grabbing the ski nose and twist back and forth sideways. See what moves and fix if needed. If needed some ski designs (Federal AWB2500) can add a third gear leg to form another supporting triangle.

Gary

Every ski I have run over the last 27 years I can wiggle the tips side to side at least 6+ inches, free play. They move a lot with out torquing the gear. I like it that way

Glenn

Back