• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

I'm Back in a Spam Can!!

Just when I thought I was out of the woods. I now have a weeping left tank. My IA suggested Floats and Fuel Cells. Theirs are $950 each.

Any other suggestions for bladders. Mine has the 32.5 gallons/ 30 useable ones.

Those are the ones that I used recently. Mine are the long range tanks and it took me 10 hours labor each. I hope you have long arms.

4CA43FD9-70BA-4616-9435-9566B5357BCA.jpeg

Video proof? Did you take someone with or did you cowboy it? Congrats, I can picture the big grin on your face.

Attachments

• 4CA43FD9-70BA-4616-9435-9566B5357BCA.jpeg
    4CA43FD9-70BA-4616-9435-9566B5357BCA.jpeg
    152.2 KB · Views: 190
Looks like two new bladders, sending units from McFarlane, and new quick drains. I am spending my ungrateful children's inheritance. Need to have it back together for Gastons. Sun N Fun is out.

What tape is used on the inside.

Any good supplier will include all of the hardware, gaskets, and one roll of tape per bladder that they send you.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Removed both bladders this morning. One was from 86 and the other from 91. It wasn't too bad but both front screens have seen better days. $250 each from Burl.
Now the real fun begins. Removing old tape and retapeing. Then getting all the snaps snapped. I do have long arms.

Pray for me. I have a better understanding of why mechanics hate this job.

Last edited:
If the old tape is still in good condition there is no need to redo it.

Will it hold up for another 30+ years?
When I was in A&P school I worked after school at an FBO. My first job was bladders on an early 210. Owner of the shop said if you do this job of re taping and installing the bladders , and don’t quit, you’ll probably make it.
Last time I did one they sent a box of bandaids with there logo on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I was in A&P school I worked after school at an FBO. My first job was bladders on an early 210. Owner of the shop said if you do this job of re taping and installing the bladders , and don’t quit, you’ll probably make it.
The only reason for that tape is to protect the rubber bladder from chafing by the rivets and the seams in the aluminum sheet. Nothing moves over it. Any mechanic who removes that tap to change it if it doesn't need changing is only running up the bill against the customer. Shame on him.

In this case the mechanic is yours truly. I will take a hard look.

The only reason for that tape is to protect the rubber bladder from chafing by the rivets and the seams in the aluminum sheet. Nothing moves over it. Any mechanic who removes that tap to change it if it doesn't need changing is only running up the bill against the customer. Shame on him.

I think you should come help a buddy out! Visa loved me today. Floats and Fuel Cells were the only ones with bladders in stock. Be here Thursday. Eagle and Aero Tech had no stock and need 2 to 3 weeks.

P.S. McFarlane loves me too.

How in the world do you tape the outboard rib in the tank bay. An Orangutan couldn't reach that far? I taped as much as I could reach.

How much good does fancy duct tape do anyway?

I understand that is the intended purpose. I am still skeptical as to how well it performs that purpose. The tape on the starboard bay was toast but the cell showed no signs of chafing.

It acts as a chafe protection on corners, sheet metal seems and rivet/screw protrusions.

Last edited:
Sure are pretty. Now if they would only install themselves!

62594E05-E415-441C-9FEC-2569037761AD.jpeg
83A6AD10-2E5B-461C-952E-4B3BF4F6ADAA.jpeg

Attachments

• 62594E05-E415-441C-9FEC-2569037761AD.jpeg
    62594E05-E415-441C-9FEC-2569037761AD.jpeg
    267.6 KB · Views: 186
  • 83A6AD10-2E5B-461C-952E-4B3BF4F6ADAA.jpeg
    83A6AD10-2E5B-461C-952E-4B3BF4F6ADAA.jpeg
    290.4 KB · Views: 281
I decided I will do the best I can with the tape. The tape on the outboard ribs that I can't reach seems to be OK.
I found that the tape that comes with the bladder does not stick well even after cleaning the crap out of the bay. Pete, I used just about every solvent known to man and probably accelerated my brain damage. I found that good old Gorilla Tape sticks much better and is thicker.

P.S. A little trick. The hardest part is that you can only use one hand and can't see what you are doing. I took one of my GoPros and put it in the bay. With the GoPro App you can show what it sees on the Ipad. Mucho Mo Betta!

It is still a bitch of a job!

P.S. If you aren't at Gastons your momma dresses you funny.

Last edited:
Changing the bladders is the most fun you can have with your pants on huh? Just think you’ll never have to do another set.

Well, I got the two bladders in and have all the snaps fastened except for the outermost ones. My 6 ft 4 in arm simply cannot reach them. My IA is no help. His arms are shorter than mine.

I am out of airspeed and ideas!

Well, I got the two bladders in and have all the snaps fastened except for the outermost ones. My 6 ft 4 in arm simply cannot reach them. My IA is no help. His arms are shorter than mine.

I am out of airspeed and ideas!
Go talk to the High School Basket Ball Coach.

Back