• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Too funny not to share

jrussl

BENEFACTOR
Madison, WI
A friend posted this question today. I found it too damn funny not to share. Compliments of Ethan B.

If the amount of oil on its outside equals the amount of oil on its inside, then the oil will leak in instead of out, right?

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Well... technically this is incorrect. If the amount outside equals the amount inside then there should be no transfer so you should theoretically have no leak.
Hmmm. Might be worth a try.

A friend posted this question today. I found it too damn funny not to share. Compliments of Ethan B.

If the amount of oil on its outside equals the amount of oil on its inside, then the oil will leak in instead of out, right?

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Well... technically this is incorrect. If the amount outside equals the amount inside then there should be no transfer so you should theoretically have no leak.

If you want technical rather than an attempt at humour - the transfer direction and rate do not depend on the quantity/amount inside or outside. What matters is the pressure differential between "outside" and "inside".

Ouch. Well it was an "attempt" at humor. I thought the original post was funny and thought I would add to the conversation obviously related to tracking and fixing leaks on our trusty engines. Just thought the idea that once you spread enough oil on the outside the leak might stop was funny . But I guess it was just me.

Having said that I was led to understand that Bernoulli, using a few very creative boundary conditions simplifies the potential flow equation to give us a simple solution to incompressible flow (most everyday liquid transfers). The leak in fact is related to the sum of the head, the velocity squared, and the pressure on either side of the plane of interest. But thanks for clarifying. I'll step back from this thread now. My apologies to any other readers for taking a light hearted friendly giggle and making it serious but...

Last edited:
Reminds me of my childhood best friend with a homemade truck camper. It had a flat front and gas mileage was around 10 mpg. We rigged up a piece of plywood and braces to direct the air flow over the camper, and suddenly got around 15 mpg.

So, he said, "let's make it bigger. Pretty soon we will be making gas!"

Why not?

Or the 747 that started losing engines over the Atlantic.. every time they lost an engine the Captain would announce that they could continue, but would be progressively later and later to their destination. So they lose the third engine and the Captain assures them they could continue on one, but would now be 3 hours late. A passenger turns to his buddy and says “if we lose that last engine, we’ll be up here all day”…

So which is oilier, Kansas, Nebraska, or Texas? I guess it depends on which sucks or blows and when. Sorry, old Kansas joke about why it is so windy in the state.

Back