• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Alaska fish & hunt - Patrol or Cub

Jay, call Dave. He’ll get you one done in 18 months.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Just throwing this out there, but what about a 4 place cub, IO-390, with a Riblett or Taylorcraft airfoil, with PStol flaps? Probably wouldn't have the short field performance of a cub wing, but it would be a bit faster...

Just throwing this out there, but what about a 4 place cub, IO-390, with a Riblett or Taylorcraft airfoil, with PStol flaps? Probably wouldn't have the short field performance of a cub wing, but it would be a bit faster...

I was wondering if a Riblett wing would fit on a cub fuselage without a lot of drama/fitting/welding. I have knocked this idea around in my head, I have zero need for the extra two seats, it would just be additional baggage area and would help keep the CG forward

Looking for a tandem airframe to supplement C180 w/PPonk.

Don't forget the single strut like a Cessna to reduce drag, and the aluminum skin so that the Riblett airfoil maintains its shape during flight. The profiled tail surface is also a nice improvement.

...and the aluminum skin so that the Riblett airfoil maintains its shape during flight.
A properly installed fabric covering will also hold it's shape during flight. If the argument is between the old dope and cotton/irish linen which used the dope to accomplish the shrinking and the heat shrink dacron, then yes the dope process will not hold a constant airfoil. The dacron will.

I was wondering if a Riblett wing would fit on a cub fuselage without a lot of drama/fitting/welding. I have knocked this idea around in my head, I have zero need for the extra two seats, it would just be additional baggage area and would help keep the CG forward

If experimental, yes, you can fit one on. D&E wings has a Riblett version that some have used.

But I have never seen any actual reports on how they work. As noted above, the extra struts on a cub wing add drag compared to a single strut wing.

Search around and you can find Cessna wings on cubs too. But I'm sure they are all experimental.

You realise that this is what a Bearhawk 4 place is, right?, ...albeit typically with more power.

Transmitted from my FlightPhone on fingers...

You realise that this is what a Bearhawk 4 place is, right?, ...albeit typically with more power.

Transmitted from my FlightPhone on fingers...

Yes, i realize what a bearhawk is... But if it was built as a high power, 4 place cub, you would have a better off airport ship, i'd think. Mainly due to the choices in landing gear. While there are lots of options when it comes to cubs, the bearhawk is pretty limited, unless you build it more like a cub than a bearhawk....

Yes, i realize what a bearhawk is... But if it was built as a high power, 4 place cub, you would have a better off airport ship, i'd think. Mainly due to the choices in landing gear. While there are lots of options when it comes to cubs, the bearhawk is pretty limited, unless you build it more like a cub than a bearhawk....

I am not a welder, but I am 99% sure you could weld on the cub gear attachments during the build and have the rugged cub style gear and a better wing

Still trying to figure out what the heck to do…

New moose camp on our radar has 1,000’ and open ends, so not feeling the pinch as much, but I do miss flying a tandem.

Maybe Stewart will get bored with his Backcountry Cub and sell it to me.

Have you looked at the Maule that Greg, the long Props and Big Rocks guy, built and flew. He just sold it but man he had it set up with a stick and single front seat centered. Seemed he would take it in and out of 300’ or so no problem. You can see it on YouTube.

Saw him out at Big Creek ID few years ago. If it’s the all black one, then yes.

Have you looked at the Maule that Greg, the long Props and Big Rocks guy, built and flew. He just sold it but man he had it set up with a stick and single front seat centered. Seemed he would take it in and out of 300’ or so no problem. You can see it on YouTube.

In my cub with Hot Rod Exhaust I have a dedicated defrost (rear seat heat moved to the dash). The normal heat box between your feet has a scat tube connected that runs under the front seat to the back, the temp in the bottom scat tube is over 200 degrees. It will melt shotgun shells if you are out wolf hunting and not careful according to other pilots. Even at zero degrees my wife has me only run it 1/2 open. It is pretty easy to keep a cub warm with the right exhaust. DENNY

MOAC/Legend Cub it is.
On the production schedule and working on configuring. Wifey seems stoked, which is a huge plus, and 16 y/o daughter is over the moon and already plotting how to pry it from me (working on her private pilot now).

And now, that great big sucking sound as expensive experimental airplane parts vacuum the cash out of your wallet! ;)

The fun begins!

I keep telling myself that it’s cheaper to have a plane that can get in & out of productive gnarly spots few venture than to buy a moose camp. :roll:

But, yeah - engine prices have shot up considerably. Shouldn’t have waffled for six years.

Slatted wings, Keller flaps, cheaper and lighter and more capable avionics - now more commonplace and accessible. Guess the timing wasn’t so bad! Regardless, I feel extremely blessed.

And now, that great big sucking sound as expensive experimental airplane parts vacuum the cash out of your wallet! ;)

The fun begins!

So get prepared for the question many will ask. Do you really think you’ll take a brand new $300K Cub into really gnarly places? That’s what beater Cubs are for! ;)

Absolutely. No question about it. I wouldn't even consider this if it wasn't the case.

So get prepared for the question many will ask. Do you really think you’ll take a brand new $300K Cub into really gnarly places? That’s what beater Cubs are for! ;)

Someone was telling me that about my cub, and then said well you wouldn’t take a brand new truck down a narrow trail scratching it all up would you. The road to camp gets narrow. My truck was a month old when got scratches. I am more careful with my cub after putting all that work into it, but I do still take it to most places

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Might as well get over the inevitable aging/wear aspects right from the start and focus instead on making great memories. Planes are tools for me, not showpieces.

Maybe I’ll key my nose paint before the first flight so I don’t worry about scratching it.

Denny,
I’m going with fuel injection, so no carb heat and will have both sides to collect. Am planning on a defrost and trying to get heat toward the baggage section for our dog in winter. Would be interested in hearing more about your system

In my cub with Hot Rod Exhaust I have a dedicated defrost (rear seat heat moved to the dash). The normal heat box between your feet has a scat tube connected that runs under the front seat to the back, the temp in the bottom scat tube is over 200 degrees. It will melt shotgun shells if you are out wolf hunting and not careful according to other pilots. Even at zero degrees my wife has me only run it 1/2 open. It is pretty easy to keep a cub warm with the right exhaust. DENNY

He got fixed two days ago. Doing better than expected, all things considered. No skis on the cub yet. No plan for skis on the 180 this year. Already running out of weeks. Lots of plans, lots of travel.

Johnny
Dedicate one to a high heat box and run it to defrost. Second heat box low in the middle and run a scat tube straight back around stick and under seat works great. Vetterman exhaust steal carb heat off front crossover tube, just use a RV filter set up.
DENNY

Back