• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Flying Miss Daisy goes On Patrol

On Patrol

BENEFACTOR
Wentworth NH" The WAD" NH96
As many of you know after long deliberation I sold my 1956 Supercub known as Miss Daisy. A couple of young pilots from Southeast New Hampshire bought her along with floats, skis and Pod. I have asked Troy DiGiovanni to join Supercub>org. and assume the moniker Flying Miss Daisy. My C180 is still around (180 Silly Monkeys) to fly for the next few years as I start a build on a Bearhawk Patrol. Yes I am off to the experimental world. So I am still any plane any adventure posting.
Skiplane2.jpg

Attachments

• Skiplane2.jpg
    Skiplane2.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 217
Tell us what you thought of the test flight.
Yeah a good friend would have called you Dave. To say the least Bob and Dianna Barrows were extremely gracious and the airfield is in farmland of the Shenandoah Valley of Southern Virginia was spectacular.
Bob's Patrol was purposely light and contained no electric system. It had a 180 HP engine with Constant Speed Propeller. The single wing strut intersects just at the forward side of the cabin allowing the lower swing door to open allowing plenty of room to enter. What you notice first is the interior is 5" wider than a Supercub. The flap handle is placed higher than a cub where you can easily grab midway with your left hand to the first notch without any bending over. From there The other 3 notches of the 9 foot flaps to 40* are easily done. The clearance above your head is substantial where the seat can be raised so that a view over the cowl is easily accomplished. The 180 HP pulls this all metal wing off the ground quickly as well as my wide body frame and Bob. The trim is two trim tabs on the elevator that are super sensitive. A handle above the pilots head is squeezed against the tubing in 1/4 inch increments for trim. I found this to be a rudder airplane with very little input to initiate the turn. You are able to lay this right over quickly and Dutch rolls are a non event. The stall was docile and can be manipulated like a falling leaf. Bob has designed this airplane so it cannot Moose Stall. The airspeed indicator stated 41-42 MPH stall but we were at a high AOA so who knows. What you will notice is the airplane is fast. With it pulled back to 12" and 2200 RPMs she wanted to fly around at 100 MPH. The other thing I noticed was she is very solid in gusty winds. On one landing Bob purposely bounced her in so I could see the gear. His Oleo landing gear really absorbs a bounce if you are not too fast she will not flare up again and she sticks in. The brakes were toe brakes which I will redesign to heel brakes. So overall it exceeded my expectations.

John, you need to change your avatar picture also. I suggest the following...

ratpatrol.jpg

Attachments

• ratpatrol.jpg
    ratpatrol.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 154
As many of you know after long deliberation I sold my 1956 Supercub known as Miss Daisy. A couple of young pilots from Southeast New Hampshire bought her along with floats, skis and Pod. I have asked Troy DiGiovanni to join Supercub>org. and assume the moniker Flying Miss Daisy. My C180 is still around (180 Silly Monkeys) to fly for the next few years as I start a build on a Bearhawk Patrol. Yes I am off to the experimental world. So I am still any plane any adventure posting.
View attachment 53923

Oh man... A model with Flanagan... Gorgeous, those southern NH guys are lucky!

I was thinking more like this:

Police_academy_Citizens_on_Patrol_-_Google_Search.jpg

Attachments

• Police_academy_Citizens_on_Patrol_-_Google_Search.jpg
    Police_academy_Citizens_on_Patrol_-_Google_Search.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 170
Ran across the pictures when Daisey was here many years ago after the epic adventure Cathy and I had with her. I know you will enjoy the build and being able to maintain it yourself. I am sad because I am goofing and get sentimental about airplanes but can't wait to follow the build.

Patrol's rock. Glad to hear of another builder. I bought my plans in 2002, started building from scratch in '08. Still building. Lots of little pieces. I recommend the quick build kit. Mine will have an O-320. You'll like the 55 gallon fuel capacity.

Fond memories. Can't wait for the new ones. What is the N number gonna be. Gotta be something clever, you started something with the other two. ;)
DSC00508.JPG

IMG_7530.jpg

Attachments

• DSC00508.JPG
    DSC00508.JPG
    447.2 KB · Views: 775
  • IMG_7530.jpg
    IMG_7530.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 740
Thanks John!

@Flyakandnh and I are beyond excited to own our dream cub! Miss daisy will be hangared at 7B3 (Hampton, NH) but I’m sure she will visit her original home in wentworth aka the WAD often! Looking forward to being a part of the super cub community!

John has decided to pass on his username “flying miss daisy” to me which I am honored to accept. @on patrol is his new username- I sense a bearhawk in his future...

Troy

I took a picture for you Avatar Troy. Be safe

Thanks John!

@Flyakandnh and I are beyond excited to own our dream cub! Miss daisy will be hangared at 7B3 (Hampton, NH) but I’m sure she will visit her original home in wentworth aka the WAD often! Looking forward to being a part of the super cub community!

John has decided to pass on his username “flying miss daisy” to me which I am honored to accept. @on patrol is his new username- I sense a bearhawk in his future...

Troy

Back