• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Bearhawk Companion Flies

In the woods
I'll post here the latest project for your viewing enjoyment. This is the first Bearhawk Companion, a 2 place side by side new model that Bob Barrows designed after getting many requests for a 2 place side by side. This is serving as the prototype since it's the first one built from a kit and Bob didn't build a proof of concept as he normally does. Although it's a new model, it's an amalgam of known former designs - A modified 4 place fuselage and Patrol wings. The fuselage is modified with no rear baggage door and the rear bulkhead moved one station forward. This allows a 6 inch shorter engine mount for the O360.
The kit was delivered to me in July and after about 1000 hrs build the first flight was on April 20th. As of now I have 32 hours on it and working through phase one testing.
Some details -
Empty weight - 1130
Gross weight - 2200
CG range from 11.9 to 19.8 inches and 18 to 30 percent of the 65.5" cord. Design limits the rear baggage to 225 lbs for now but seems to be some left.
I've done stability testing to 20.1 CG and there seems to be plenty of margin left.
Speed flat out at 2600 RPM is 126 KIAS at 3000 ft., Clean stalls at 41 KTS, Full flap stalls at 38 KTS. O360 and Catto 76/62.
Normal take offs and landings about 600 feet. View attachment 55910View attachment 55911View attachment 5591252 Gallons total fuel.

IMG_0422 (2).jpgPress Release.jpgIMG_0593.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0422 (2).jpg
    IMG_0422 (2).jpg
    233.3 KB · Views: 472
  • Press Release.jpg
    Press Release.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 362
  • IMG_0593.jpg
    IMG_0593.jpg
    271.5 KB · Views: 333
The attachment links aren't working for me, but the pictures look great! It's hard for me to fathom only 1000 hours for any Bearhawk build. You are THE MAN! (I had over 1000 hours into mine when I sold the kit, and the quick-build fuselage was only about 90% complete... But I did quite a few things "the hard way" as a first-time builder...)

Congratulations, nice looking build, and the weights are nice. Are you going to bring it to the Keene fly in?

Well, I don’t think there’s any question that you deserve the title “Bearhawk Builder”. Yow! One thousand hours?

Nice looking machine.

MTV

225 pounds of cargo, 300 pounds of fuel, and your left with 545 pound for its two front seats. That design has uncommon Utility without looking at how fast it is.

Can we see a photo of the rear baggage area?

225 pounds of cargo, 300 pounds of fuel, and your left with 545 pound for its two front seats. That design has uncommon Utility without looking at how fast it is.

Can we see a photo of the rear baggage area?

And designed in the utility category at +4.5 G, -3G.

Transmitted from my FlightPhone on fingers...

IMG_0381.jpgThanks all, here is a picture of the cargo area, the front seat back is folded forward.

Attachments

• IMG_0381.jpg
    IMG_0381.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 355
That is a beast of a plane, and the side by side is awesome

Shame about the panel, but I know it was not Bearhawk Builders choice

I guess I don't get it. What is shameful about the inst. panel? Thats a beautiful airplane as is.

I guess I don't get it. What is shameful about the inst. panel? Thats a beautiful airplane as is.

I agree. I like the simplicity.

I'd probably want some kind of attitude indicator, though. There is plenty of room. Maybe the tablet looking device already has that? I can't make out what it is.

Yup. I’m looking forward to the Patrol at 32”. American sized. [emoji849]

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Farmboy is correct with the numbers. The panel is okay, the engine gauges are VDO automotive type which work better than I expected, actually they are fine. It has a small MGL Vega TC4 to monitor CHT and EGT and that works well too. The Ifly GPS is okay too, not my favorite GPS as the functions are clunky to me but when you get used to it it works fine. Trig units are great, I'm using the internal intercom with a switch on the panel to shut the intercom function off/on. I'm not happy with this yet, I'm getting constant squelch with a passenger at anything above 1500 rpm due to the noise. There are internal settings to adjust so I'm working that out. I'm using Trig's ADSB / Transponder bundle with Stratux for IN, that's all working well.
Using the blade style fuses with forward facing mount and lighted fuses was requested and I think that turned out pretty well using a modified fuse block from Blue Sea Systems. The seats are from Daniel at Sport Aircraft Seats, very well done and comfortable. It's a good, simple VFR day only plane that performs real well, side by side and plenty of baggage and useful load. The numbers show it can almost carry it's own weight.

Correction, the fuse block is a Bussman. Couple more shots of the interior.IMG_0398.jpgIMG_0402 (1).jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0398.jpg
    IMG_0398.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 319
  • IMG_0402 (1).jpg
    IMG_0402 (1).jpg
    299.1 KB · Views: 309
Last I knew VDO gauges are made in Germany. Lots better than that other country that makes junk. The downside I guess is they don't look aircraft but I haven't seen their entire line, they may have some that do look at home in an aircraft.

There's plenty of room, the Companion uses a modified 4 place fuselage with that station moved forward so I guess you could extend the baggage as long as the CG is respected. Bob's design number for rear CG is set at 19.8, I brought this one back to 20.1 and the stability was still acceptable so there may be some room left for more baggage area.

Last I knew VDO gauges are made in Germany. Lots better than that other country that makes junk. The downside I guess is they don't look aircraft but I haven't seen their entire line, they may have some that do look at home in an aircraft.

For more than 50 years VDO gauges are made in Mexico. Most of the coils for the internals had been made in Plainville Conn, in the mid '80s I helped move that production to Bloomfield Conn.
A bit over a decade ago My friend that owned the company sold it and retired to the shore of Carolina. I have not paid attention if the coils are still made in country or moved offshore.

Last edited:
Thank you professor. Might go straighten them out on the Wikipedia page and let them know.
For more than 50 years VDO gauges are made in Mexico. Most of the coils for the internals had been made in Plainville Conn, in the mid '80s I helped move that production to Bloomfield Conn.
A bit over a decade ago My friend that owned the company sold it and retired to the shore of Carolina. I have not paid attention if the coils are still made in country or moved offshore.

I am not sure VDO wants it known where there factories are for pride and marketing reasons. I am not even sure if there products are even marked where they are made, I do not use them since I prefer mechanical gauges.

Charlie, 42” not including any window space.

Yup. I’m looking forward to the Patrol at 32”. American sized.
The Bearhawk series of airplanes appear to cover all the bases of a majority of "off roading" aviators.
For comparison purposes my widebody -18 clone is 28". I am not a widebody person, the Patrol's 32" is attractive.

Now, let's see what we can do about reducing the ground run and increasing the climb performance. :wink: Hmm? I have some ideas.

IF the Bearhawk LSA had flaps I'd have one by now.
What is to prevent you from installing flaps on your Bearhawk LSA? You are a clever mechanically inclined guy.......just do it. There is ample guidance on building a flap system just here on SC.org, if nowhere else.

Back