• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

2022 New Holstein Super Cub Fly in and Airport Day

jrussl

BENEFACTOR
Madison, WI
Contrary to the rumors that have been circulating around, the 2022 New Holstein Fly-in and Airport Day is a GO!

After many years of hosting the fly-in, Steve and Laura have decided to step aside. A huge thanks to them for their hard work in creating and running what is an absolutely fantastic event. They are handing the reigns over to a group of long time attendees and we hope live up to the standards that Steve and Laura have set. The plan is to keep the fly-in and Airport Day similar to what it has been in the past with a few tweaks and improvements. One of those will be Movie Night" on a few of the evenings.

The dates are Friday July 22nd thru Wed July 27th

As in the past, registration will be required in advance of the event. SJ has graciously offered to help with the on-line registration. We expect the registration to be up and running by early June.

A huge thanks to the volunteers helping to keep this great event going. If you would like to help with the event, please reach out to me or Randy Corfman.

Registration is now open!

Please go to the Friends of the New Holstein Airport website to register. https://newholsteinairport.org/

DSC05741.jpg

Jeff

Attachments

• DSC05741.jpg
    DSC05741.jpg
    353.6 KB · Views: 3,416
Last edited by a moderator:
We had a terrific organizational meeting last evening, folks, and shared some exciting news...
IMG_6594 copy.jpg

First, we have joined together to form the "Friends of the New Holstein Airport", thanks to the work done by Jeff Russell to establish an LLC! It is our intention to use this organization, and the skills and talents of many terrific people, to carry on the wonderful traditions founded by Steve Johnson 20 years ago.

Briefly, it is our intention to continue to host taildraggers in the camping area, as well as some recreational vehicle spots (while they are available). We are exploring ways to make our tricycle colleagues more welcome, and more will be announced on that front later.

Our beautiful Pavilion will remain the focal point of the Flyin for camping activities.
groupphoto08.JPG

There will be some social activities in the evenings that we think will lessen the impact of mosquitoes swarming around the fire pit..."Movie Nights" are being planned, to be held in the maintenance hangar, featuring aviation movies from days gone by, as well as offering popcorn/sodas/adult beverages. Following the movie we can retire to the camp fire near the Pavilion to tell tall tales, or escape to our tents. A Mighty Fine Time. Continuing our New Holstein Flyin Family Reunion!

Food? Oh, yeah, then there is the food. Jim "Big Deal" Dickerson has accepted the challenge to lead the search for quality meals for breakfast and dinner. For those who attended the event last year you may recall that the meals provided by Altona Supper Club and Parker John's BBQ were exceptionally tasty. Well, the Big Deal has some other tricks up his sleeve, and we are confident that we can continue serving delicious meals!

Dessert? There is always room for desert, and our Flyout Squadron, lead by Captain Steve Lewis, as well as Jim Crane and Lou Furlong, will be coordinating safe flights to Kelley's Creamery

PXL_20210727_003922274.MP.jpg to enjoy the finest ice cream in the Land! Yum!

The Flyout Squadron will be announcing flyouts as the event time approaches, and you will not want to miss them.

Of course, New Holstein Airport Appreciation Day will be held on Sunday, July 24th. We will continue to support the community by providing Young Eagle flights
NH_OSH-1222.jpg
and putting on the famous New Holstein Short Field Takeoff and Landing Exhibition
NH_OSH-1086.jpg

Big Deal Dickerson has signed his usual lucrative contract once again and will be Master of Ceremonies, providing color commentary while the judges score those who choose to exhibit their trusty aircraft and amazing flying skills.

We sincerely hope you will plan to share your time with us beginning Friday, July 22 through Wednesday, July 27, as it will be a terrific time!

Randy the Shooter

Attachments

• groupphoto08.JPG
    groupphoto08.JPG
    314.9 KB · Views: 162
  • _MG_9040.jpg
    _MG_9040.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 141
  • PXL_20210727_010910925.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210727_010910925.MP.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 134
  • PXL_20210727_003922274.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210727_003922274.MP.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 152
  • SteveRandyCoast1.jpg
    SteveRandyCoast1.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 138
  • DSC_1903.jpg
    DSC_1903.jpg
    399.9 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_6594 copy.jpg
    IMG_6594 copy.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_1909.JPG
    IMG_1909.JPG
    250.8 KB · Views: 135
  • NH_OSH-1222.jpg
    NH_OSH-1222.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 135
  • NH_OSH-1086.jpg
    NH_OSH-1086.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 136
  • NH_OSH-1126.jpg
    NH_OSH-1126.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 133
  • NH_OSH-1221.jpg
    NH_OSH-1221.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:
Awesome Bro. You are kicking arse. Might actually make it this year (Lord willing).

To all the people volunteering and helping with this, a huge thank you. And my sincere gratitude.

Bill

This is awesome news!

sj

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Am I more help staying out of the way, or offering my lack of service and ability??:oops:

Who knows, maybe I should just buy a ticket and fly down on the smoker this year. See how it goes. Might want a vacation by then.

If a ground traveler shows up, are they allowed to oohhh and awww all the cool planes?

Am I more help staying out of the way, or offering my lack of service and ability??:oops:

Who knows, maybe I should just buy a ticket and fly down on the smoker this year. See how it goes. Might want a vacation by then.

If a ground traveler shows up, are they allowed to oohhh and awww all the cool planes?
Well, the answer generally is "no". However, word has it that if that person has the ability to play the bagpipe, and has been known to sport a kilt, is an exceptional aviator and a great person, that person will receive a key to the New Holstein Airport :lol:

Come on down and bring your bag pipe...or perhaps we can find one for you! What a wonderful way to start each day...hearing you play Amazing Grace to announce that the morning meal is soon to be served! You can use my Super Cub to give Young Eagle rides and exhibit your skills in the STOL exhibition, George, while I herd cats.

Randy the Shooter

It warms my hart to know how many of you really care about my well being.

Kirby, tags required. Season open between February 29th at 1159 PM and March First at 12:00 am.

Stand by, Supercub.org pilots, things are coming together for the New Holstein Supercub Flyin!

We have formed the Friends of the New Holstein Airport, LLC, thanks to the work of Jeff Russell and Rhonda Arries, so things are up and running!

Rhonda is working on building a website that will be featured here on Supercub.org, and it is our plan to have registration and information regarding the Flyin to be posted there. SJ will continue to publicize the event here, and we appreciate his hospitality!

Steve Lewis and Jeff Russell are co-Leaders for Flyouts, and they are well into the planning stages. Lou Furlong is leading the Camping and Parking efforts, and Ron Sitzman is serving as the Jack of All Trades as the local liaison for transportation.

Sarah Dickerson is pitching in by gifting us her expertise in graphic design, and is working on what promises to be a super design for tee shirts and hats that will be unique for the New Holstein Supercub Flyin!

Jim "Big Deal" Dickerson is serving as the "Nutriment Wing Commander", and OMGosh we aren't going to starve this year! He is arranging for catering from the same people who made last year's Supercub Flyin the best culinary experience we have ever had...and this year will be even better! Perry Welch and the EAA chapter will be providing breakfasts for us most mornings and, of course, we will have flyouts as needed to take in Kelley's Creamery!

More to follow, but many thanks to those who have pitched in with donations and ideas and support. This is a work of love, and we are so happy to continue the 20 year tradition that was started by SJ.

Please mark your calendars for Friday July 22nd thru Wed July 27th! Also, please be willing to help with the Young Eagles Rally, to be held on Airport Appreciation Day, Sunday, July 24!

More to follow...

Randy the Shooter

Thanks to those who have contacted us with regard to planning for the 2022 New Holstein Supercub Flyin event. We do not yet have the financial information nailed down, but we are close! It will likely be very similar to charges at previous NH events.

Rhonda Arries is in the process of constructing a website for "Friends of the New Holstein Airport", the LLC that was formed specifically to facilitate planning and architecture of the event. Please stay tuned here for an announcement regarding the address of the website. The website will have a wealth of information for us, and will serve as the official site of the New Holstein Supercub Flyin. Registrations for the event will be through the website.

Please continue to mark Friday, July 22nd, thru Wednesday, July 27th, on your calendars!

We look forward to seeing you there!

Randy the Shooter

Sarah Dickerson has hit another home run with the tee shirt design, folks! Here it is!

Tee shirt design.JPG

This will be the design for the back of the shirt, with a "Friends of the New Holstein Airport" (FONHA) logo on the front, and a logo from a sponsor on one sleeve. We will post those as they come in!

The website will launch very soon, fyi, and registration can be completed there.

We are looking forward to another awesome event, and hope you will be able to join us for the entire event, Friday, July 22 through Wednesday, July 27!

Randy the shooter

Attachments

• Tee shirt design.JPG
    Tee shirt design.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 2,072
We Have A Logo!

Sarah Dickerson has unveiled a logo for Friends of (the) New Holstein Airport (FONHA), which is the entity that will host the New Holstein Super Cub Flyin! The organizers approved the logo unanimously last evening, and here it is!

FONHA logo.JPG

This logo will be on the front side of the tee shirts, in the upper left position, and will be prominently displayed on the front of our hats! Many thanks to Sarah! We feel she has captured the spirit of the Flyin event, and her attention to detail has not been wasted on Jim Crane (he pointed out that the Shooter is pointing forward with...uh...the signal of a gynecologist)!

Many thanks to Sarah!

The shirts and hats will be included for those who sign up for the "Full Stop", and can be purchased separately on our soon-to-be-announced website! Stay tuned, kids!

Randy the Shooter

Attachments

• FONHA logo.JPG
    FONHA logo.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 2,010
Registration is open!

Registration is now open for the 2022 New Holstein SuperCub Fly-in and Airport Day!

Go to the Friends of New Holstein Airport website to register for the event. https://newholsteinairport.org/

Pre-registration for this event is required.

Thanks to the volunteer group that has been working so hard planning and preparing for this great event. Also a big thanks to our very generous event sponsors. (More to come on this in a bit.)

Klessig barn pano.jpg

Attachments

• Klessig barn pano.jpg
    Klessig barn pano.jpg
    238.9 KB · Views: 1,996
Last edited:
View attachment 61395

If you haven't registered for New Holstein, there is no better time than NOW!

www.newholsteinairport.org

Ah...the smell of freshly mowed grass, the comfort of landing on smooth-as-silk turf, the awesomeness of waking up under the wing of your airplane, hearing the voices of fellow pilots who are celebrating the beauty of being able to renew friendships, of being able to make new friends.

Hope to see you there!

Randy the Shooter

Kudos to Sarah and Jim Dickerson for their launch of the Facebook page for Friends of New Holstein Airport...https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100082025329899

Facebook launch.JPG

The Facebook page will be a place for us to exchange memories and plans for the New Holstein Flyin throughout the year. It will also serve as a clearinghouse for photos that many of us have taken over the years.

Between the hard work and effort that Rhonda Arries and Jeff Russell put into our website, www.newholsteinairport.org, and the hard work and effort that Sarah and Jim Dickerson put into the Facebook page, we have a way to keep our "New Holstein Family" up-to-date as things change. You know, it isn't just about the airplanes...

Randy the Shooter

Attachments

• Facebook launch.JPG
    Facebook launch.JPG
    113.9 KB · Views: 1,913
Last edited:
Friends and Super Cub Family, we are getting closer to the New Holstein Super Cub Flyin and we hope you will be able to join us this year! Registration is open and the event is shaping up to be a terrific time to spend seeing friends and making new friends through this unique opportunity.

The sooner you register at www.newholsteinairport.org, the better. Big Deal Jim Dickerson is pressing us for numbers of people who will have the luxury of experiencing the culinary arts, as it were, as provided by the vendors that he has procured. The finest aviation cuisine, served in the fresh air of New Holstein each morning and evening, amongst aviation friends...it doesn't get any better than that!
P8080042.JPG

We are also ordering tee shirts and hats...items which serve as a great reminder of the fun times we had at each year's flyins! We need counts to insure that we have everyone covered (pun intended)!

We hope to see you there! Please register soon!

Randy the Shooter

Attachments

• P8080042.JPG
    P8080042.JPG
    240.3 KB · Views: 1,617
Please take a look at our Facebook page Facebook/[FONT=&quot]Friends of New Holstein Airport. We are putting up many photos of friendships that have been made at the Flyin, of family members who have attended.

A Special Place...New Holstein Airport.

Randy the Shooter[/FONT]

Here we are, sitting in front of our computer screens, contemplating the meaning of life, contemplating all things aviation. Some of us have had a very busy day, some of us have been sitting back to enjoy life a bit. Some of us have had a day filled with joy, some filled with disappointment and sadness. I was visiting with Jeff Russell, our co-leader extraordinaire, and we talked about the things that are going on in our lives and we just sort of put things into perspective. Our discussion lead us to some of the memories that filled our minds from New Holstein Flyins of the past, and how important our Supercub.org family is to us. It surely isn't just about the airplanes, it surely is about the people. I know that as I have had my ups and downs, times of turbulence, rough air, I have found my mind wandering back to the dear friends I have made through Supercub.org and, in particular, New Holstein.

Eddie Doyle is given credit for the phrase "The New Holstein Flyin is just like a family renunion, except we like everyone who attends." Truer words have not been spoken. This lead me to take a walk down memory lane and think about the "genetic families" who have I have seen through my camera lens view over the years. I'm bad with names, so won't try to put names with the photos, but some of you will be able to be spot on with identifying these people. Some are father-daughter, some father-son, some grandfather-grandson, some brother-brother, some husband-wife. Some of these include loved ones who have gone West since the photo was taken, and while this is sad I think it brings back some beautiful memories and frames why New Holstein is so important to many of us.

Here goes...
IMG_0047.jpg

IMG_0051.jpg

IMG_0052.jpg

IMG_0183.jpg

IMG_0186.jpg

IMG_0197.jpg

IMG_2802.jpg

IMG_3086.JPG

IMG_3953.jpg

IMG_3985.jpg

...sometimes a trip down memory lane helps us refocus on the really important things in life...

more to follow...

Attachments

• IMG_0047.jpg
    IMG_0047.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 1,528
  • IMG_0051.jpg
    IMG_0051.jpg
    359.1 KB · Views: 1,473
  • IMG_0052.jpg
    IMG_0052.jpg
    459.9 KB · Views: 1,475
  • IMG_0183.jpg
    IMG_0183.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 1,502
  • IMG_0186.jpg
    IMG_0186.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 1,469
  • IMG_0197.jpg
    IMG_0197.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 1,497
  • IMG_2802.jpg
    IMG_2802.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 1,478
  • IMG_3086.JPG
    IMG_3086.JPG
    206.8 KB · Views: 1,503
  • IMG_3953.jpg
    IMG_3953.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 1,473
  • IMG_3985.jpg
    IMG_3985.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 1,548
...more family photos from New Holstein...

IMG_3986.jpg

IMG_6532.jpg

IMG_8869.jpg

IMG_9026.jpg

IMG_9055.jpg

IMG_9937.jpg

P7270018.jpg

P7280014.JPG

P7290046.jpg

IMG_1974.JPG

IMG_0449.jpg

I hope you will come to New Holstein and make some more memories. Are the mosquitoes a problem? Heck yes. Do we experience storms every year? Heck yes. Are the temperatures sometimes pretty darned cold, sometimes very hot and humid? Heck yes. Does meeting people like those shown above make it worth it? Heck yes. Hope to see you there, dear friends.

Randy the humble and grateful Shooter

Attachments

• IMG_3986.jpg
    IMG_3986.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 1,509
  • IMG_6532.jpg
    IMG_6532.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 1,479
  • IMG_6538.jpg
    IMG_6538.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_8869.jpg
    IMG_8869.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 1,538
  • IMG_9026.jpg
    IMG_9026.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 1,500
  • IMG_9055.jpg
    IMG_9055.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 1,483
  • IMG_9937.jpg
    IMG_9937.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 1,487
  • P7270018.jpg
    P7270018.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 1,508
  • P7280014.JPG
    P7280014.JPG
    245.6 KB · Views: 1,475
  • P7290046.jpg
    P7290046.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 1,461
  • IMG_0449.jpg
    IMG_0449.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 1,489
  • IMG_1974.JPG
    IMG_1974.JPG
    275.9 KB · Views: 1,522
2022 New Holstein Super Cub Fly in and Airport Day - Registration is open!

Come join us and participate in some of the best daily fly-outs that can be experienced anywhere.

My good childhood friend, Robert Klessig, has hosted us a number of times at his working dairy farm and will be again this year. Land in his pasture and enjoy some of his grass fed beef burgers. There is simply no better fly-out.

IMG_0011.JPG

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Attachments

• IMG_0011.JPG
    IMG_0011.JPG
    306.9 KB · Views: 81
2022 New Holstein Super Cub Fly in and Airport Day - Registration is open!

It can’t be a real fly-out unless you get some cow sh!t on your airplane.

Saxon Homestead Fly-out 2014

IMG_7496.jpg

IMG_6359.JPG

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Attachments

• IMG_6359.JPG
    IMG_6359.JPG
    541.6 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_7496.jpg
    IMG_7496.jpg
    341.6 KB · Views: 74
As with many of these types of gatherings, the evening campfire is always a popular spot. With nothing but “true stories” being shared amongst the group.

DSC05848.jpg

Attachments

• DSC05848.jpg
    DSC05848.jpg
    462.6 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
Ice Cream, You Scream, We All Scream for Ice Cream!

Almost every evening after we finish our exquisite dining experiences at the New Holstein Flyin we fly over to Kelley's Country Creamery for a delicious tasting of the World's Best Ice Cream! A few years ago Jeff Russell was kind enough to acquaint us with this terrific example of Americana, and we enjoy the privilege of flying over.

I hope you will join us this year at the 2022 New Holstein Super Cub Flyin! Please register at www.newholsteinairport.org!

267797_252164994795886_5925936_n.jpg

menu.jpg

samples ice cream.jpg

_MG_9042.jpg

_MG_9043.jpg

PXL_20210727_010415260.jpg

See you there!

Randy the Shooter

Attachments

• 267797_252164994795886_5925936_n.jpg
    267797_252164994795886_5925936_n.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 77
  • menu.jpg
    menu.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 81
  • samples ice cream.jpg
    samples ice cream.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 84
  • _MG_9042.jpg
    _MG_9042.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 76
  • _MG_9043.jpg
    _MG_9043.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 68
  • PXL_20210727_010415260.jpg
    PXL_20210727_010415260.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 69
We are in need of pilots and ground crew for the New Holstein Young Eagle Rally on Sunday, July 24. Your generosity in sharing your skills and aircraft bring many smiles and fond memories each year. If you are sitting on the fence with regard to coming to New Holstein, please consider supporting the New Holstein community by helping us with our mission. You can register at www.newholsteinairport.org.

IMG_8996.jpg

IMG_8932.jpg

Thanks for considering!

Randy the Shooter

Attachments

• IMG_8996.jpg
    IMG_8996.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_8932.jpg
    IMG_8932.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 84
Back