• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

7ECA, Champ - 100hp vs 115hp, anyone here experienced both ?

One can say that a particular airplane with an 0-235 is better or worse than one with an 0-200 or C-90, yet when they change the loaded CG and or switch to a different prop their opinion could change. What I'm saying is that there are many combinations, some are doggy and some are super performers. Unless we know the details of the differences, we really are not in a position to evaluate which is better.

Is the O-235 the one that is difficult to get parts for?

I got a neighbor his license in a 115 Citabria with oleos. It did what we asked - not at all bad for a $25K airplane.

Light Champ with 200 cubes like a C-90 or O-200, against O-235. Best prop for both and right tires for angle. Pounds per HP wins the race with the same wing. Get rid of the 2-300# Gorilla in a standard 7ECA and it could compete.

Gary

A note about the 7GCB. Mine had been used for power line patrol in Ohio so had several thousand hours down low cruising. I found that the fuel tanks had developed microscopic cracks (stains) where the baffles were spot welded and that the ribs within the prop wash also had developed cracks. Beyond that I don't recall any significant issues which needed repair when I recovered the entire airplane. I can't vouch for the other later models, perhaps there has been some changes in this area which prevent these issues?

A note about the 7GCB. Mine had been used for power line patrol in Ohio so had several thousand hours down low cruising. I found that the fuel tanks had developed microscopic cracks (stains) where the baffles were spot welded and that the ribs within the prop wash also had developed cracks. Beyond that I don't recall any significant issues which needed repair when I recovered the entire airplane. I can't vouch for the other later models, perhaps there has been some changes in this area which prevent these issues?
Pete,
There was alot of concern over the Buzz Wagner STC to upgrade all the early 7AC/DC/CCM etc to 0235s.
All of them showed early on that the trailing edge material was far toooo
thin and flex way more with the increased HP. If you watched the top and back of the wing during a runup it
looked ridiculous how much it was moving.........on the later 50s models,
They were fine.

Sent from my LM-X210 using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Pete,
There was alot of concern over the Buzz Wagner STC to upgrade all the early 7AC/DC/CCM etc to 0235s.
All of them showed early on that the trailing edge material was far toooo
thin and flex way more with the increased HP. If you watched the top and back of the wing during a runup it
looked ridiculous how much it was moving.........on the later 50s models,
They were fine.

Sent from my LM-X210 using SuperCub.Org mobile app

I owned a 7AC-CONV with the Buzz Wagner STC. It had the O-235 and I flew it on Bushwheels and PK1500 floats. I enjoyed the plane immensely! Great performance and it would carry a load. Regret selling it.

I owned a 7AC-CONV with the Buzz Wagner STC. It had the O-235 and I flew it on Bushwheels and PK1500 floats. I enjoyed the plane immensely! Great performance and it would carry a load. Regret selling it.
Any recollection of what the legal useful load was ? Can't imagine one being under 1000 lbs wich wouldn't leave much.

Empty was 891. GW was 1300. I think I actually had a few more pounds UL when on floats.
The plane had a starter, but no electrical system. Small battery with solar charger on it. Kept at a dock all summer and never needed a charge. Flew it at least twice a week for the summers. Yes, still miss it!

I've had the chance to check out a couple flavors of champ and i give up. Of all my favorite was a L-16, had a lot going for it but none have the nimble, responsive, strapped in feel of a cub. I'm looking for a j3. When I originally thought about the 7eca its limited acro ability was appealing. Not that i do any, but might be fun to learn loops, rolls and what not. Maybe i can find a clip wing to try on.

Do it the way I did. j3 for the pattern, Super Decathlon for inverted flight and limited x-c.

If I needed to go more than 500 miles it would be a Mooney 201.

Airplanes are always a compromise.

Most O-200 were put in small nosedraggers(short prop) so they need a cam to swing a decent prop. I see the O-235 likes 2800 rpm, same story? Is there a cam available?

There is for experimental. I put a cam in mine that is like the old 788 cams that the c90 had. It will turn a catto 78-37. With a Mac 74-38 I have to be careful

Considering looking for a project. Wondering if anyone around here had flown both the continental and lycoming versions and could tell me how they compare in performance. I know the o-200 is considerably lighter than the o-235 and a lot of cub guys seem to prefer it due to weight. Not concerned about about the other differences, champ vs spring landing gear, etc. generaly associated with the 2 different models or the costs. looking for empty weight, ground roll, climb rate, cruise speed and such. Thanks !

I had an O-200 Citabria with oleos for a while. A real dog but it may have just been that plane. My friend with a 7BC, 75 hp could beat me on takeoff distance and out climb mine. And this was at the same gross weight. I did a service ceiling test once. Very close to standard conditions and takeoff at gross weight. Barely got it to 8100’.

Compressions checked good and prop checked by shop, was in specks but I don’t know which prop it was.

I’ve been looking for an O-235 7ECA but some of these responses make me wonder. I don’t want to spend the fuel on a 7GCBC but do want more than 200 from.

Ed

Yeah, sounds like the o-200 eca is less than ideal. For the o-235 think id be looking for a later model with the k2c engine and at the moment these are selling for more than i want to put into one. too close in price to a 7gcaa. And I'm looking for simple and cheap. Best so far, and I haven't much experience in champs, has been a light l-16 with a c-90. Makes me wish i had looked into a recent champ project on barnstormers with metal spar wings. For what nice flying champs are bringing these days, I'm looking for a j3. Plenty of spam cans around if i need to go somewhere.

Maybe I'll luck out and find an experimental j3 project. Think id clip it and see how close to 600 lbs I could get it. Never been in a clipped cub but always thought they looked right proportioned. Every once in a while a picture of the red and white one todd peterson flew pops up and i want one.

Since starting this thread, done a lot of thinking about what i'm looking to get out of a plane. Something easy to maintain and cheap to operate out of grass strips, fun to fly, and safe enough to put my kids in to tool around a bit. Living again in the south central US at 500 msl, don't need the horsepower that was necessary in the high desert or the useful load to carry enough fuel to get somewhere. Winters aren't that cold ever ther.Big fan of simplicity and prefer non electric. To me, a cub really wins here. Much more comfortable hand propping from behind holding door frame with quick access to the controls. Makes the pa-11 the perfect plane. Its no secret based on what they are bringing.
Haven't completely ruled out champs, but it would have to be special to choose it over a similarly priced j3.

Sometimes it is just better to see what comes along without having any particular make and model in mind. My first airplane was a $400 wrecked T-craft which just happened to fit my budget. I wasn't looking for one and hadn't even considered one. Yet there it was, it got me started and wasn't a bad airplane at all. It led to a partially rebuilt Swift and it led to a wrecked Colonial C-1 and it led to, well you get the idea. You never know what will turn up.

Try to go light no electric. A 85 or 90 hrs champ is good. More room
than a cub and way cheaper and fly out of the front seat. As far as propping take the door off it’s easy to do. I had one for a long time sold it and have a cub and I do miss the room and the easy getting in and out.

Back