• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Bike racks at strut attach points

For a QUALITY small folding ebike, with Panasonic or Samsung cells and a proper BMS, and all other things E bike, Luna Cycle has been my go to place for years now. Cheap no name crap like the bike you show, is what can give E bikes a bad name! I wouldn't fly with that.....

I see the specs on the folding Luna are amazing, but $1800. is serious toy money.

For a QUALITY small folding ebike, with Panasonic or Samsung cells and a proper BMS, and all other things E bike, Luna Cycle has been my go to place for years now. Cheap no name crap like the bike you show, is what can give E bikes a bad name! I wouldn't fly with that.....
Let me be clear: the following comment is NOT aimed at CourierGuy. I understand for that someone like him – who is a serious rider, and uses his e-bike pretty much every day as a "business enablement tool" – spending $1800 (or even a whole lot more than that) could provide excellent ROI. Subtle nuances of performance, handling, etc. mean a lot to folks like CourierGuy. It's kind of like the guy who flies a turbine Beaver, hauling heavy loads into bush strips every day – the plane (e-bike) suits the mission well.

But for many of us, $1800 is more money than we can remotely justify for the occasional use we would obtain. For my purposes, both the turbine Beaver and the $1800 Luna Cycle are significant overkill. I can't afford that Beaver, but I can afford a Rans S-6 (just bought one), and with that I can get to maybe 80-90% of the places I would ever want to go... And there's lots of folks flying back-country in similarly inexpensive, remarkably capable airplanes. These are planes that no "professional bush pilot" would ever consider functional for their purposes, yet they would readily point that novice backcountry pilot toward such planes...

But with e-bikes, it's a LOT harder to find information that the aviation world makes easy... I wish is that the "bike purists" (translation – every bike-related publication, blog, etc. I've been able to find) would provide advice to us "novices" and "occasional riders" instead of throwing shade at anything "less" than their personal minimums... There are a lot of people enjoying riding their < $350 bikes 3-4 times a week for pleasure or exercise. And while I realize that it's a lot more fun to write about Ferraris than about Ford Fiestas, there are a LOT more people who "need" a Fiesta than a Ferrari...

Again, not slamming CourierGuy, but it would be nice to be able to get help selecting a "Fiesta"-type e-bike...

So buy the cheaper bike and put EarthX batteries in it.

Web
IF that is the issue... but it could be a crappy frame, crappy components, etc. As CourierGuy points out, all bets are off when you order sight-unseen from China, Inc. I never wanted to buy a Yugo, nor do I want to buy a crappy bike. I just have no idea how to tell what is "good enough" for an occasional user like me.

Apologies for the thread drift... I should take this to one of the e-bike forums. Just frustrated after spending an inordinate amount of time trying to find such information on the web. Every time I read one of CourierGuy's posts about how he uses his e-bike, it just re-kindles my desire to take one with me in my plane... But maybe it's just not meant to be.

My first E bike was a 700 buck small folder, that I rapidly outgrew, became dissatisfied with. Too slow, too short of range, no climbing power, lousy brakes, just barely fun enough to make me realize a higher dollar one was worth pursuing.

This is a method that I explored. It went on the struts fairly easy but for the life of me I could not seem to get it back off the struts without a lot of wondering how I got it there in the first place. I never ended up flying with it in this configuration but I think it's doable if a person could get the removal process down with some practice.

Just wondering if anyone else done this mounting method with more success.

Jerry

mt_bike.jpg

Attachments

• mt_bike.jpg
    mt_bike.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 1,810
Last edited:
cubflier's picture gives me an idea. How about two hook type brackets clamped under the front lift strut equidistant on either side of the jury struts. These to hang the handle bars on. Then a single bracket with a secure clamp/strap at the rear jury strut attach location. Just hang the handle bars on the front hooks. Swing the bike up to latch onto the rear bracket. Sounds easy for one person with the wheels being held straight for minimum drag. The two handle bar brackets would hold the bike stable to the strut. The jury struts would support the entire weight. How much does a bicycle weigh? My guess is not a lot.

IMG_05221.JPG
Out for a ride a couple of years ago in the Talkeetna Mountains. Have external load permit to cover this in Alaska. Flies better than 60" moose antlers.

Attachments

• IMG_05221.JPG
    IMG_05221.JPG
    2.2 KB · Views: 1,576
That looks like about the best quick and dirty way to do it, as long as the lift struts don't get scratched of course. Maybe take the front wheel off (easy and quick, no messing with the chain like the rear). Though it would be tough maybe lifting it in there for me as my E fatbike weighs a good (meaning over) 60 pounds, even the Montague weighs about 50. Where and how I load my Mont in the RANS is ergonomically correct, no strain/no pain, though still a bit of a grunt.

We need to have a fly-in contest, limited to pilots carrying their bikes, some kind of STOl event combined with a biking contest, Kevin Quinn could make it all come together! With the STOLiest plane, combined with the quickest deployed bike and most capable once deployed, all somehow combined to make a winner, let me know when this happens and I'll be there. Heck we could probably make money out of it.

I can't seem to enlarge Litecub's pic, and am trying to envision how awkward, or not, sliding the bike into place is, without scratching things, it looks like it's on top the struts. I could see a quick rig setup pulling a bike up against the bottom of the struts, lots of ways to do it I guess. I opted for the quickest, even though it takes up room inside, as if it's over 1/4 mile I'm riding not walking, and quicker makes it more useful on an XC anyway. Flying to a day or longer camp out, no hurry.

IMG_05221.JPG

(Bigger picture) 30 pound bike with foam padding taped on the lift struts to protect from scratches. Also tug line with bike noodle for Kobuk to assist, one Dp (dog power).

Attachments

• IMG_05221.JPG
    IMG_05221.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 263
As I recall I think I had a better chance of dying from the riding of the bike off the lift strut than the flying of the bike on the lift strut. I had lots of room to put it back on the ground before committing to flying with it. And went with it after not observing any ill effects. The worst part was the on and off and a small scratch to the lift strut. No photo to help remember how it was on there, but it wasn’t pretty. Lines with knots taped and shock cords without the metal bungee ends.

I saw this the other day as I was traveling. The tires were taken off the bike and tied to the struts one on each side same position. Talked to the guy about how it handled. Owner said that he didn’t see or feel any differently flying. Put the frame inside cabin with the back of rear seat out.
View attachment 49167View attachment 49168

I won't say that I've done exactly that, but it's possible. Are those Alaska Bike Wheels?

I don't know, I'm thinking courtesy car:wink:

How many of them are out there now. I thought in most places they were a thing of the past.
Just rental cars around here and they are no longer at KRUT.

Let me be clear: the following comment is NOT aimed at CourierGuy. I understand for that someone like him – who is a serious rider, and uses his e-bike pretty much every day as a "business enablement tool" – spending $1800 (or even a whole lot more than that) could provide excellent ROI. Subtle nuances of performance, handling, etc. mean a lot to folks like CourierGuy. It's kind of like the guy who flies a turbine Beaver, hauling heavy loads into bush strips every day – the plane (e-bike) suits the mission well.

But for many of us, $1800 is more money than we can remotely justify for the occasional use we would obtain. For my purposes, both the turbine Beaver and the $1800 Luna Cycle are significant overkill. I can't afford that Beaver, but I can afford a Rans S-6 (just bought one), and with that I can get to maybe 80-90% of the places I would ever want to go... And there's lots of folks flying back-country in similarly inexpensive, remarkably capable airplanes. These are planes that no "professional bush pilot" would ever consider functional for their purposes, yet they would readily point that novice backcountry pilot toward such planes...

But with e-bikes, it's a LOT harder to find information that the aviation world makes easy... I wish is that the "bike purists" (translation – every bike-related publication, blog, etc. I've been able to find) would provide advice to us "novices" and "occasional riders" instead of throwing shade at anything "less" than their personal minimums... There are a lot of people enjoying riding their < $350 bikes 3-4 times a week for pleasure or exercise. And while I realize that it's a lot more fun to write about Ferraris than about Ford Fiestas, there are a LOT more people who "need" a Fiesta than a Ferrari...

Again, not slamming CourierGuy, but it would be nice to be able to get help selecting a "Fiesta"-type e-bike...

Why not just find a good used regular bike with quick release wheels? My opinion of the e-bikes is that they're overly costly, heavy and unnecessary. I'm in my 60's and don't feel the need for one.

I’ve got a great photo tucked away in an unorganised iPhoto album of Jay Stanford’s (I believe?) bike sitting in its stirrups aside the fuselage down at sun/fun.
Somewhat surprised no one has done this with their pedal bike.

Edit. Found it.

IMG_9044.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Attachments

• IMG_9044.JPG
    IMG_9044.JPG
    551.9 KB · Views: 327
Last edited:
Why not just find a good used regular bike with quick release wheels? My opinion of the e-bikes is that they're overly costly, heavy and unnecessary. I'm in my 60's and don't feel the need for one.

They ARE heavier and costly, but like everything else you get what you pay for. But you can also do much more with them, simple as that, making their weight and expense more then worth it. You can still work your ass off, I do, I just go further and higher, then if I didn't have e power. You sound like you have never ridden one, give it a try, they are everything riding a regular bike is, but more.

My crane's e bike came in handy today, when the crew I was setting a Fiberglas swimming pool for found out they needed to do some more digging, and there would be at least an hour delay, I rode 3 miles to lunch, and then toured the neighborhood, in high 80 temps, "no sweat." Nothing I couldn't have done on a pedal bike, this was just more fun, faster, and I didn't need to sweat as much. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMMhTUvn93E&t=17s

They ARE heavier and costly, but like everything else you get what you pay for. But you can also do much more with them, simple as that, making their weight and expense more then worth it. You can still work your ass off, I do, I just go further and higher, then if I didn't have e power. You sound like you have never ridden one, give it a try, they are everything riding a regular bike is, but more.

My crane's e bike came in handy today, when the crew I was setting a Fiberglas swimming pool for found out they needed to do some more digging, and there would be at least an hour delay, I rode 3 miles to lunch, and then toured the neighborhood, in high 80 temps, "no sweat." Nothing I couldn't have done on a pedal bike, this was just more fun, faster, and I didn't need to sweat as much. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMMhTUvn93E&t=17s

Whatever blows your hair back and makes you grin, I'm all for it! It doesn't work for me though; I love the feeling I get by pedaling and moving far faster than my feet could carry me with nothing more than the power of whatever I had for breakfast. That and 55 years of trying.

After saving up for couple years with minimal gifts, I Bought my son a one wheel pint.
I’m probably about as anti-electric car as you get, but if the electric in this is anything like an e-bike, than it’s just a matter it time. It was a big expenditure but the worst part is now I need to save up for my own. It’s pretty darn awesome, and goes a long ways on a charge.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Whatever blows your hair back and makes you grin, I'm all for it! It doesn't work for me though; I love the feeling I get by pedaling and moving far faster than my feet could carry me with nothing more than the power of whatever I had for breakfast. That and 55 years of trying.

I agree, and it's the same feeling exactly, especially as much of my riding is done using zero e input, verified by my display showing zero watts. It's just there to help tackle the real difficult climbs, strong headwinds (or both) or if it's hot as heck, all the things that make NOT having e power on tap while riding sometimes a bit less then pleasurable. The physical challenge and effort is still the same, but it's your choice now, not demanded.

It's like talking with a sailplane pilot about how we like our engine powered aircraft, different strokes/different folks! All I can say is that they are not a fad. I know too many serious cyclists that after first dissing them, tried one, and now have gone over to the "dark side." I'm 71 BTW.

This is a method that I explored. It went on the struts fairly easy but for the life of me I could not seem to get it back off the struts without a lot of wondering how I got it there in the first place. I never ended up flying with it in this configuration but I think it's doable if a person could get the removal process down with some practice.

Just wondering if anyone else done this mounting method with more success.

Jerry

View attachment 49195

I've heard that method works.

Attachments

• 20200627_185220.jpg
    20200627_185220.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 222
That looks simple, and quick to deplane. A bit draggy, but screw it, it'd get the job done. I couldn't carry my e bike that way, too heavy, at 50+ pounds. It'd be a real awkward, gut wrenching, pick anyway, I can't even lift it over a barb wire fence!

But, I had a 20 some mile ride up to the old mining ghost town above Phillipsburg MT. a couple weeks ago with my e Montague. 1800' vert of climb, on a washboard gravel road, plus getting around town later. It was a long haul up that road, the e power made it bearable, and doable, coming down, it was way more fun. I'm riding Copper Basin tomorrow, pert near the highest airstrip in Idaho. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but an electric motor doesn't suffer from high altitude power loss, unlike it's operator.

That looks simple, and quick to deplane. A bit draggy, but screw it, it'd get the job done. I couldn't carry my e bike that way, too heavy, at 50+ pounds. It'd be a real awkward, gut wrenching, pick anyway, I can't even lift it over a barb wire fence!

But, I had a 20 some mile ride up to the old mining ghost town above Phillipsburg MT. a couple weeks ago with my e Montague. 1800' vert of climb, on a washboard gravel road, plus getting around town later. It was a long haul up that road, the e power made it bearable, and doable, coming down, it was way more fun. I'm riding Copper Basin tomorrow, pert near the highest airstrip in Idaho. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but an electric motor doesn't suffer from high altitude power loss, unlike it's operator.
Are you flying out of Pocatello?

Are you flying out of Pocatello?

No! Out of my own grass strip, in the Pocatello area. Poky is just barely hanging on to justifying have a tower, has been for years, but each time they almost get the axe, (due to little traffic) the city fathers squawk and somehow the funds arrive to keep it going. A great facility, and a great FBO, and a university vo-tech school, but having a tower there is kind of a joke. But what do I know....

Bike Friday

I’m thinking about one of these. Might almost fit in the back. 37lbs. Not sure I want to haul a big lithium battery around.
View attachment 49193 Folded size 26x15.6x23.6 PS I know nothing about this bike. It was just a random google search.

I’ve enjoyed riding a Bike Friday for 25 years(https://www.bikefriday.com). They make good quality bikes designed to fold into a suitcase for travel which also converts into a trailer. Some are quick fold for inside the car (or airplane) and there is one called the “Pakit” which quickly breaks down to fit in a backpack. There are now battery power options too. They use good quality parts and are a small, family owned business. Not cheap but reasonably priced for what you get. Good people based in Eugene, OR.

Back