• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Breaks-9S7 Flyin 2021 Edition

centmont

SPONSOR
9S7 -- Montana's Missouri Breaks
Breaks Flyin June 25-26-27, 2021
So: Are you starting to watch backcountry Idaho videos? Watching the re-runs from SC.org Hump Day Programs? Making canyon turns in your head? Trying every day to get a Covid vaccination? Can’t wait for summer? Me too.

At the request of several folks, we will be making a date change for the Breaks Flyin. We are moving from the weekend before Johnson Creek, to the weekend just after Johnson Creek. New dates for Breaks 2021: June 25-26-27. The weather should be improved and everything else will be the same. We have some new ideas for this year in the interest of keeping things interesting. Also, after a decade of whining, we now have a shower for FedEx Lou.

This is just a “hold the date” communication. We will be providing more information over the following months. Surely by the end of June we will have a better handle on Covid.

Winifred Flyin Sunset.jpgBreaks Photo S. Johnson.jpgSunrise on Cessna - Winifred.jpg

First and middle photo from S Johnson. Steve can you make this a "sticky"? R

Attachments

• Winifred Flyin Sunset.jpg
    Winifred Flyin Sunset.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 486
  • Breaks Photo S. Johnson.jpg
    Breaks Photo S. Johnson.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 408
  • Sunrise on Cessna - Winifred.jpg
    Sunrise on Cessna - Winifred.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 421
Last edited:
Ralph. Been chatting with quite a few guys who are all ready to get out and go flying so hopefully it will happen.

Ralph just happens to be the fellow I bought my 12 from, so I get to pick on him a bit.

Just because it's on the SC calendar doesn't mean it will be that date. I am on the second reschedule of my ski plane fly in.......is this like the cover of Sports Illustrated cover jinx? A coincidence this is the first year it made the calendar and this is the first year it may convert to a splash in if we keep getting postponed? I think not.

If I am on wheel this may be an event I try to make this year.

Cant Wait ,9S7 is my home airport now.looking forward to meeting all who come .

Attachments

• IMG_6832.jpg
    IMG_6832.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 278
Last edited:
Help!

I cannot reach the 2021 calendar on the website. It only show 2021.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Help!

I cannot reach the 2021 calendar on the website. It only show 2021.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We don't actually use the little "calendar" function. We usually make posts here about what is happening when.

sj

All: For those unaware, there is a fancy hotel in Winifred. It has about 8 rooms, is across from the cafe, has a nice steak house (open only on weekends). If you don't feel like camping, the rooms are all available at this point in time. Call Rainey at: 406 462 0674

I post this early because with all the construction in town, I suspect it will fill.

More about Winifred, the history, and the current transformations in another post shortly. There is an excellent story here: https://mtstandard.com/news/state-an...c117c4df0.html

Highly recommended... also, the donor of the $40 million (Norm Asbjornson) built our hangar, is a pilot, and plans to be in Winifred this year for the flyin.

This still happening?

Yes, the 2021 Missouri Breaks Fly In is happening, June 25, 26, and 27. Ralph is on the road back to MT as I type this.

New this year, the Montana Pilots Association is co-sponsoring this event with Ralph. We’ll have a barbecue Friday evening in Winifred.

And, good news: The Central Montana Hangar of MPA is putting on the Lewistown Pancake Breakfast that Saturday, the 26th, from 7 AM to noon. This is the first year the MPA Central Montana Hangar has sponsored that event.
And, this year, they’re featuring “Cinnamon Roll Pancakes”. Trust me, you don’t want to miss out on those...trust me, they’re great!.

Saturday evening will be hangar burgers in Winifred, $10 a copy.

Come join us and enjoy some flying in the Breaks, a VERY special place. Finally, we MAY have a special breakfast fly out Sunday morning on your way home.....stay tuned.

MTV

Flyer for the Lewistown Pancake Breakfast:

88C90299-69D9-4DC0-945C-F555BD42747E.jpeg

See you there!

MTV

Attachments

• 88C90299-69D9-4DC0-945C-F555BD42747E.jpeg
    88C90299-69D9-4DC0-945C-F555BD42747E.jpeg
    142.4 KB · Views: 238
Thanks MTV for the update. Just spoke with Ralph and he said he will be out of pocket with computer ills for another week. Like Mike said, it's business as usual at the Breaks so see you all there!
Lou

Thanks MTV for the update. Just spoke with Ralph and he said he will be out of pocket with computer ills for another week. Like Mike said, it's business as usual at the Breaks so see you all there!
Lou

Looking forward to seeing you there Lou!

MTV

Sorry for the absence: I'm limping along without a house or computer...but enjoying life. Yes, the Breaks flyin is still happening !! My thanks for MTV and Lou for answering in my stead. This year, the Montana Pilots Association will sponsor the Friday meal....Saturday is on your own with availability of hangarbergers. I will post some general information about Winifred and the surrounding Breaks strips in the next few days for those who have never attended. Always fun here, come enjoy. Ralph

Always fun here, come enjoy. Ralph

Dang, only 374 miles from here straight line. I haven't been to Winifred in over 25 years.

But logistics....I don't think I can be away for more than a couple of days. It really sounds fun.

For First Time Attendees

Winifred is a town of about 150 august folks. After 100 plus years of stasis, Winifred is rapidly changing as we speak. A fellow pilot, and good friend of many of the attendees to this flyin,has donated 40 million dollars to refurbish/build on to the school. His instructions were simple..." Build in Winifred, the best school in Montana", and we are. My little house was one of the victims of the expansion, Melissa who taught there for 38 years, would have had it no other way. Construction has started...come see what one super-generous (and highly successful) individual can do for the place where he was born and raised. This story is sort of what Winifred is all about... it is a place where time has not spoiled the folks who are hardworking, honest, generous, and make a living working off the land. We also have one great cafe, one filling station, two churches and several bars. If it sounds too good to be true, just know I have had trouble believing it myself for the 45 years I have lived here. It is the way the world used to be, and we wish it still was.

Schedule of events to follow...but fairly standard.

Airstrips: 9S7 (Winifred Strip) is turf in good condition about 150' X 4000' running basically 10º - 28º. The strip rises uphill from the east to a smooth rise about 1000' from the west end where it becomes level. There is an embankment on the east end where there are frequently downdrafts in strong west wends. If wind conditions allow, land planes east to west. Down hill landings aren't bad...just a little longer than you are used to. Use 122.9 as the CTAF.

Breaks strips:
All 6 strips run generally E - W and are between 1200 - 3000'. The shortest is Woodhawk at ca. 1200' with some trees on each end. The longest is a private strip called Heller Bottom which is the only strip right on the Missouri River in the Breaks. While private, we are welcomed at Heller by Loren Smith the owner. Loren has also installed some picnic tables and a small one-roomed KOA type cabin (first come first served). Use 122.9 to announce in the backcountry and, while we consider these strips relative easy for backcountry fliers, we lost a C185 and Carbon Cub just this last year (no injuries). It is backcountry....always have your "A" game on and look to avoid surprises.

For repeat visitors:

After years of whining, completely without restraints,
Lou, someone of influence has heard your complaints,

Norm's giving did not end with the school,
he has provided pilots a place of elegance for the stool,

There is an all tile shower, and heat on demand,
A mirror, and towels, and comfy places to stand,

It was Lou's concept but Norm's chore to do,
Say thanks to these two while you shower or poo.

-Anon-

Ralph,

Your poetry leaves me speechless.... but that is awesome news! I actually liked hiking down to the pool and trying to get the water heater started without blowing up the place...

Thanks, Ralph!

sj

Back